Reported tree falling on my car and its down as my fault?

billy2981

Used AF for my inisurance last year,

got my renewal at over 800 notes, erm no thanks. but  on the claims section its got a fault claim from December where I reported a tree from the woods behind our house falling and damaging my car? also they have put a price on it when the car has still as yet not been valued? how is that?

not overly impressed with this.

whats the point in telling them something has happened when you only get stung heavily for it?

the mind boggles.

Its your fault in the sense you have put a claimed on your insurance I think. Meaning you are likley to claim on your insurance again so pushing the renewal up.

He said reported, not claimed. Not a mind reader though, he might well have claimed as well  :giggle: .

you have a legal agreement with your insurer to notify them of any "accidents, claims or convictions" although many people do not bother(incorrectly) so what the op had done is the right thing.

Maybe his insurer should have been instructed to take proceedings against the landowner of where the trees are. But it will be easier for them to process it as an at fault claim. They are acting for you make them work for their premium

For instance if you have a bump, do not involve the insurer and fix it privately you are still obliged to notify them. Anything else is technically a fraudulent declaration.

Edited by loskie

I told them it had happened day after it had. After gathering the damage and pics.

wasnt going to claim but cardiff council were taking an age and I was advised it could take up to a year.

after 3 montgs I decided it would be faster getting car sorted on my insurance and them getting funds back from the council.

Thing that gets me is the fact its down as my fault plus a value has been put on it when its not been looked at yet.

also ****es me off that I am getting shafted for being honest.

So do I need to make sure they are going to recover the costs from the council? N not just put it down as a fault claim?

Yes the insurance co will take the easiest and cheapest route for them. You need to instruct them that you are not at fault and pursue the council for damages.

• Like 1

• Sponsor

Any claim on your own insurance is a fault claim and this is also the same for a outstanding claim (until all the costs have been recovered and the claim is closed) the comments above are correct that you need to notify you insurance company of any claim you have, at the end of the day it makes sure you are insured correctly so in the case of a claim the insurance company will have to pay out. The costs that are on you file are most likely a reserve of what the company has set to hopefully cover your claim (these reserves change all the time depending on what information they get)

If I was you get on the case and chase ULR up and see what is happening with your claim, this will also get someone looking into when your on the phone and hopefully speed matters up.

Regards

Dan

• Like 2

Cheers guys.

cheers dan

your right they were only putting it as my fault!

Ive told them to get it back from the council and given them all the info I have. One email I had off them even states its looked after by them. So theres a start.

just hope it all works out.