Looking for a TV

'daiking'

I need some help choosing a new TV.

I've no real preferences to brand or technology and main inputs are only a std def Humax PVR and DVD player (via SCART lol). Occasionally connect a laptop via VGA and the iPad via hdmi so nothing unusual. I'm not hung up on features either. 3D isn't an issue either way, nor something like freesat. Freeview hd should be a given and SMART in that price range too.

Size should be 46-50", budget up to about £1000 I suppose but no point spending it all if its not needed and I'd prefer to use a retailer with good service and a 5 year warranty. Someone like JL / Richersounds / Costco*.

*my membership has lapsed so I don't know what's in stock at the moment but it wouldn't be too hard to renew it if it was worth it.

Not long bought one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l47et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-47-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p443869

Hundred and fifty quids less than I paid (sick as parrot).

Fantastic TV, wafer thin, cracking picture and plenty of functions, only quip I have is frontal fast movement can by a bit jerky and fast moving parts of the picture have a torn page effect, for example, red bull cliff diving as the diver is falling the back ground is clear and stationary, the diver is clear and moving fast by about 1" around the diver is like a transitional slightly pixilated section as the two merge, you will also need a sound bar or home cinema system, tinny sound.

I went for a Bose sub zero soundbar, took me about a month to figure, No SUB speaker, sub zero as in nil speaker, very clever, I bought it as it was very cool - DOH

We changed from an 8 year old 32" DMTECH hd ready TV, what a difference, different planet.

Which one did you get? I am a big Panasonic fan :)

What John T said ^^^^ the ET61B.

It was a toss-up between that and the LG LA47V690 but the Panasonic/JL won. Its not perfect but I'm getting used to it and making adjustments. The sound is occasionally ropey on freeview/pvr but I'm blaming that on the cable/s so I need to change them. Also a couple of less than desirable visual effects but doesn't seem to suffer from DSE

Don't suppose you know of somewhere for fixing LCD TVs? I don't think my old one is beyond redemption quite yet.

Not long bought one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l47et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-47-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p443869

Hundred and fifty quids less than I paid (sick as parrot).

Fantastic TV, wafer thin, cracking picture and plenty of functions, only quip I have is frontal fast movement can by a bit jerky and fast moving parts of the picture have a torn page effect, for example, red bull cliff diving as the diver is falling the back ground is clear and stationary, the diver is clear and moving fast by about 1" around the diver is like a transitional slightly pixilated section as the two merge, you will also need a sound bar or home cinema system, tinny sound.

I went for a Bose sub zero soundbar, took me about a month to figure, No SUB speaker, sub zero as in nil speaker, very clever, I bought it as it was very cool - DOH

We changed from an 8 year old 32" DMTECH hd ready TV, what a difference, different planet.

I don't mind the general sound but it actually crackling, even at low volumes. It has settled down over the past week but something isnt right. Need to try new RF and HDMI cables first.

I'm spotting different visual artefacts. In the standard picture setting, the backlight in the bottom corners leaks quite badly but 'True Cinema' is ok where I currently have it. Other stuff is where facial features are clear and stable but the person's head is blurred and moves. I've seen it before though and think its a low bandwith freeview channel problem. Also the effect on fast moving objects you describe. Its not pixelated but there are lines through the object. Used to see this effect when home video editing on a PC. I've not played with the IFC or put proper setting on it yet to see if anything helps with this.

I'm looking at getting a matching 3D blu-ray, sound bar and maybe the skype camera but want to get the tv settled first.

What John T said ^^^^ the ET61B.

It was a toss-up between that and the LG LA47V690 but the Panasonic/JL won. Its not perfect but I'm getting used to it and making adjustments. The sound is occasionally ropey on freeview/pvr but I'm blaming that on the cable/s so I need to change them. Also a couple of less than desirable visual effects but doesn't seem to suffer from DSE

Don't suppose you know of somewhere for fixing LCD TVs? I don't think my old one is beyond redemption quite yet.

I don't know anywhere, sorry :(

One thing that people sometimes notice with the sound is the level drop when swapping between SD Freeview and HD Freeview channels. Also if an HD channel show SD programmes and HD programmes sequentially, there is often a noticeable drop in level :( It's something the broadcasters are aware of and as yet don't seem to have come up with a solution. It isn't a fault, it's more to do with the way 5.1 audio is folded down to produce 2 channel audio.

I don't know anywhere, sorry :(

That's a shame.

One thing that people sometimes notice with the sound is the level drop when swapping between SD Freeview and HD Freeview channels. Also if an HD channel show SD programmes and HD programmes sequentially, there is often a noticeable drop in level :( It's something the broadcasters are aware of and as yet don't seem to have come up with a solution. It isn't a fault, it's more to do with the way 5.1 audio is folded down to produce 2 channel audio.

I don't know what the problem is but when I first used it, most of the audio from the freeview tuner and my Humax PVR was distorted. If I were not such a lazy so and so i would have re-packaged it and taken it back straight away. But I thouhgt I'd leave it a few days till the weekend when I had some time to look at it properly.

As time has gone on it has settled down considerably so I really don't know what the problem is or was. Hence the cables and I know they're digital signals but old cables are worth checking out.

do you mean the Freeview TV tuner, the Humax Freeview tuner and the Humax  replay sound was distorted, or just all the Humax stuff? It's unlikely your TV has healed itself, so unless you have physically altered something, I would be suspicious about the distortion. It is possible that with a SCART your Humax could be overloading the audio input to your telly, but if you are using a digital link (HDMI etc) then this is unlikely