DPF Differential Pressure Sensor P2456

Hi Guys,

After timing belt change i have some issues with the car O3 RS TDI. After i start it and do a couple of accelerations the power goes down, like a limp mode. I run a test with VCDS and found DPF Differential Pressure Sensor P2456 fault.

I read about some issues with a pressure sensor G450. 

Is there anyone else witch had this issue ?

0AA5B2AE-4EF1-4D31-87FC-47B9FF43038F.jpeg

Yeah that's normal, they used to have another pipe running to them. The differential pressure sensor measures the exhaust pressure before and after the DPF. Seeing as the pressure after the DPF is comparable to atmospheric pressure anyway, it was somewhat redundant. As it was more likely the line would freeze or block and then cause an issue, it was removed.

Mine failed right after the 210k km service (with timing belt change).

Interestingly there was no warning light on the dash but it definitely went into some kind of limp mode because I felt like I lost 100 HP.

When I arrived home I did a scan with VCDS, saw the fault code, checked the sensor...and it was melted badly with a hole through it, and the heat shield was black from the escaping exhaust gases.

By the way my colleague's car did the same at almost the same mileage.

Looks like your sensor also started to melt...?

Pictures of my failed sensor: http://forum.index.hu/Article/viewArticle?a=146776943&t=9029418

Edited by aki78

I’m back and it seems that i am cursed.

During my trip towards the service, the DPF regeneration began. I said ok nice, its been a while since the last one. I decide to go 2 extra km am 3000 rpm so i can complete the regen. 

I was 500 m away from the service when i received warnings and my car went into a bad limp mode. After i’ve opened the hood i saw the sensor completly melted. See attached...

Now i need also a new cable to connect my new sensor. I’ve managed to save the tube.

Be very careful with this !!!

BF705EEE-AEF4-45E6-9ADD-83F5C31454F5.jpeg

WTF have you done!!!

was it a knock off sensor?

My guess is that you had a leak and you managed to get a flow of hot exhaust gasses which has cremated the sensor

Edited by SuperbTWM

I hope that after the new sensor and the above part will mounted i will not have the same issue. 

I am not sure what caused this. I believe the sensors are crap and if they are not recalibrated after belt change, this happens.

45 minutes ago, jordy_wd said:

The sensor part no. has been revised at least once so I believe the fault lies in the sensor. I still can't get my head around the link to the timing belt!

Does it have to be removed as part of the job, and maybe the hose clamps are not tight enough after re-use, allowing hot exhaust gas to bypass the sensor?

Edited by micro

I’ve checked with the mechanic who changed the timing belt and he said that he didn’t touch the sensor. Now, who knows...

It’s also interesting that my engine among with others only have the left hose. But it seems that this is the new design.

Yes it is. I’ve heard about BMWs on fire due to issues like this one.

I have the new sensor and now i am waiting for the other part (cable). 

After the fix i’ll update you.

Anyone knows if it needs a recalibration from VCDS or it’s plug and play ? I don’t want the same issue to happen again and hope that the root cause was this faulty sensor.

7 minutes ago, Roby10 said:

Yes it is. I’ve heard about BMWs on fire due to issues like this one.

I have the new sensor and now i am waiting for the other part (cable). 

After the fix i’ll update you.

Anyone knows if it needs a recalibration from VCDS or it’s plug and play ? I don’t want the same issue to happen again and hope that the root cause was this faulty sensor.

Yes it needs a recalibration using VCDS.

Hi Guys,

I was able to splice the wires. I took a photo before to see how they were wired and also checked a friends car. Example attached (not mine)

Starting from the top:

Yellow+Grey;Brown;Yellow+Brown 

Today i will try to do the calibration using VCDS

30CE474F-20C3-4B26-8145-FC472E559318.jpeg

• Like 1