Advice on detailing a Silver Fabia vRS

Metty92

Hi All,

I have a Silver Fabia vRS which I want to detail (Newbie to detailing). I have swirl marks I need to remove which was before I bought the car, but i'm also looking for a good wax for after i've washed it. 

I do also have a DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher so i'd like some advice on what pads i should be using and whatever to go with it.

All i'm doing at the moment is washing it with Turtle wax Nano tech extreme, then using a micro fibre cloth to dry it off

Thanks in advance 

Ollie

You might be better off asking the moderators to move this to the 'Detailing' sub-forum as you'll get a much better response there from some very knowledgeable and experienced guys.

Nice.

I too have a silver Skoda, but an Octavia. So will be interested in any responses you get before I attack my car in the next week or two.

I have to admit to being a but nervous about choosing and using polishes, pads & a DA polisher.

Shame your not closer

DA with a medium polishing pad and Gtechnik P1 polish

Follow that with a sealer or an 'All in one' like AGSRP or Carlack68...or Wax of your choice..(Light coloured cars look better with Sealer)

If your totally new to detailing and machine polishing in general I would suggest watching The Junkman's video series on YouTube.

I would also get a scrap panel from a scrapyard and practice on that before going at your own car, because if you make a mess of it who cares it's scrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 4

Would you use Sonax BSD over a sealer?

Or is that just duplicating things? I'm not sure what a sealer really does...

Perfect combo Karl, BSD compliments a sealer wonderfully.

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a DA polisher over Easter so will get reading up on polishing, and get some pads & polish ordered in preparation.

Many thanks for the above replies, all so helpful! Also i've watched Junkman's video which is interesting. 

I think my DAS-6 is a 4" so I may go to a 5 or 6" then go for the hex-logic white polishing pad (?)

As for the polish I do already have a bottle of Meguiars mirror glaze 205 ultra finishing polish which I guess I could use

As I have swirl marks will the light pad and finishing polish remove that? or will I need the orange hex-logic and something like a 105 mirror glaze?

How do these steps sound?

Wash shampoo turtlewax nano tech extreme

Dry off using microfibre cloths

White polishing pad with megs M.G 205 finishing polish

Use a sealer after - best recommendations?

Then finish with a Sonax xtreme Brilliant Shine

I do apologise in advance if I sound stupid lol 

Hex-logic pads are all 5.5" irc, if you getting a white pad might be best also buying an orange pad while you're at it. Then if the white pad doesn't cut it can step up to the orange with the M205, then if you don't get the results you're after it will need M105 on the orange and then M205 on the white.

Have you previously clayed the car? If not then I would do that after the washing stage to get the paint as clean as possible before attempting to polish. You will need to tape up black plastic trims, badges, door handles (if unpainted) and vulnerable paint e.g panel gaps.

Getting polish off black trim can be a pain in the rear afterwards, preparation before will save you loads of time later.

Hope this helps.

Great, did you watch all The Junkman's videos on machine polishing? I think there's five videos a lot of time I know, but it goes through the whole process start to finish and includes claying.

As for buying clay and lube you could buy a kit like a Meguiars quick clay starter kit or Bilt Hamber medium clay and use a car shampoo and water mix for lube with that.

Pretty much yeah, just watched the claying one. Excellent thanks may just go for the meguiars quick clay starter kit and see how it goes with being a newbie.

A couple of questions, with the amount of clay you get with the kit, would it be enough to do the whole car? And once i've done one car will I need to buy a new one? 

Also whats the best way of cleaning the hex logic pads?

Apologies for the late reply

Cheers 

Its all in the prep work. Tar remover, Iron-X or something similar then clay. then you can move onto machine polishing.

Detailing world is your friend.

Good lick and I will look forward to seeing your results.

Pretty much yeah, just watched the claying one. Excellent thanks may just go for the meguiars quick clay starter kit and see how it goes with being a newbie.

A couple of questions, with the amount of clay you get with the kit, would it be enough to do the whole car? And once i've done one car will I need to buy a new one? 

Also whats the best way of cleaning the hex logic pads?

Apologies for the late reply

Cheers 

You only need a tiny bit of clay My 200g bar has done 15 cars or so cars and I still have a third left. When it gets dirty fold it on itself so you have a clean part. If you drop it then bin it and rip a new part off. Use lube when claying. All clay bars can be used with water but throw a bit of shampoo into the mixture to help it glide.

With my pads, after I've used them I soak them in warm water and rub my hand into them to remove the polish and let them dry naturally.

Stephen

I've heard some horror stories on using tar remover and wheel cleaner/strong cleaners, these won't effect my paintwork will they? I'm paronoid about using anything on my wheels as I had them powdercoated. 

Also I read up something about certain polishes being used on paintwork which is suitable for hard, medium and soft paint. The fabia being medium paint. 

Watching Junkmans video this didn't get mentioned. I don't know if this is something I need to take in account or not. I will be using meguiars 205 and 105 polish. 

Providing the wheels have been refurbed to a decent standard & the wheels are cold i.e not been driven then wheel cleaners & decontamination products will be fine.

#205 & #105 will be fine to use. Start with the least aggressive pad/polish combo & work your way up depending on the results you get.

Happy polishing :)

Thanks Chris

I'm having to wait till my birthday (next month) before I do any detailing as of the cost for the pads, #105, clay kit, and BSD (As it all adds up with 6 items :o) however once i've finished it I will post photos to show the result! 

Would you just recommend the white and orange pads? As opposed to the black, red and blue pads? (I know those others are finishing, fine and ultra fine).

Cheers