Airbag Light but no Faults - It's a Mystery!

Hi,

devonutopia popped by to see if he could help turn off my airbag light.

After scanning with his full VCDS the airbag controller shows no faults, but still the light remains. This is something he's never come across before so now he's as stumped as me.

The one thing VCDS did say is that the front seat belt pre-tensioners were 'not installed', we wondered if this might be a possible cause. Perhaps they weren't replaced when the car was repaired from Cat C in 2003?

If anyone has experience of this issue I'd really appreciate your input. Really need to get the car sold. I'm not looking for a huge amount of cash for it anyway, but still don't want to sell something with issues.

Sounds like it could be an issue, I know the SRS light on Civic Type R's includes airbags, SRS ECU and the seatbelts. I'd assume it would be the same on most cars as you tend to have a separate ECU for the safety systems (not sure if that applies to Fabias). 

Could be a fault with a pre-tensioner rather than it not being installed though. 

did he check the dash cluster for faults too? sounds like there is something strange going on there to be honest, if you think the airbag is ok try this.

unplug the airbag control unit fully at the unit, you can just do it with the trim bent out the way it is on the tunnel infront of the ashtray, then, once that is unplugged, plug in vcds and go to can gateway and recode to say no airbags fitted, if the light stays on the dash it is either a bad connection or the dash cluster is buggered.

The can gateway will not allow to recode unless it cannot physically see the airbag controller so it must be unplugged fully not just a fuse pulled etc

Can I recode using a cheapy aftermarket Vag Com lead? That's all i have.

I can physically check the pretensioners first, then will try the CAN recode.

Think I might just put it up for sale a spares or repair, it's got tax and MoT until August so I'm sure someone will be happy to take it.

did he check the dash cluster for faults too? sounds like there is something strange going on there to be honest, if you think the airbag is ok try this.

unplug the airbag control unit fully at the unit, you can just do it with the trim bent out the way it is on the tunnel infront of the ashtray, then, once that is unplugged, plug in vcds and go to can gateway and recode to say no airbags fitted, if the light stays on the dash it is either a bad connection or the dash cluster is buggered.

The can gateway will not allow to recode unless it cannot physically see the airbag controller so it must be unplugged fully not just a fuse pulled etc

OKay, I have VCDS lite and have gone to CAN Gateway.

Currently coding is 00014

Workshop Code 13765

What do I need to change to tell it no airbags?

Sounds like a coding issue. I suspect the control unit isn't coded for pretensioners but they are fitted hence the code.

Any clue if this can be done with VDCS lite? and how do I do it?