Looking to order a new vRS

Popped into Alex Lawrie today to look at a new vRS, being quoted 6 to 8 months delivery.  They do have a cancelled order for a week 20 build but it's got £3,500 worth of extras on it, most of which I wouldn't want, I'll see how the figures work out but think I'll just wait for the one I want. 

My advice...... hold onto your wallet and wait.

Unless you are buying one cash or with a substantial part-ex (therefore little finance), the vRS has been artificially priced out to lower demand.

The price increase, followed by two subsequent increases in the PCP APR (0% > 2.9% > 6.9% for the vRS only) means that it may not be the bargain it once was.

If you can live without the vRS badge, price up an equivalent Elegance spec Octavia (still on the 0% PCP, and around a 12wk wait) and prepare to be stunned at the difference.  :think:  But if you reall want a vRS, I would hold fire until the end of the year to see what offers come about once the backlog of orders have been filled.

Out of interest, do you know when the "cancelled order" (likely a demo they have ordered in but not registered yet) was actually ordered, and therefore what rate PCP it would fall under?

Edited by sniperpenguin
  • Like 2

Cheers, some good advice there.  Deffo want another vRS, but I can wait, only got the Blackline 18 months ago, but as I've moved workplace don't need the diesel now and want a petrol back, but not at any cost.  I'll see what the figures come back as and decide then. 

As for the cancelled order, doubt it will come in at a decent price with all the options.  Was told it was a customer order but he got fed up with the wait and has gone to another make

The petrol vRS is worth waiting for, as there's nothing like that terrific GTI engine in any other trim level.  But the advantage of the diesel vRS over the diesel Elegance (both 2 litre, 184 bhp playing 148 bhp) is much more marginal, and 0% finance, a lower list price and a shorter wait would have swung it for me if I'd wanted a diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealers won't give me a price on my current car as the part ex would be too far into the future, so we've agreed to put the plan on the back burner for now and he'll call me when the delivery times are a bit more acceptable.  No probs really, I can wait.  But surely it doesn't do good for Skoda to be basically turning away loyal customers.

With a 6-month waiting list dealers will not find it hard to shift a cancelled order quickly. Obtaining a great deal may not be easy.

Having personally moved from a 320D (with a very simiilary power unit to the VRS TDI) to a VRS TSI, I am sure that you will not be disapponted by choosing petrol. The TSI engine is lovely in every way, and makes me appreciate what I was missing during my 3 years of derv ownership. Just don't mention mpg :rain: .

I ordered mine this morning and have been given a 12 week wait for a factory order. Saleman said that their desktop system had updated this morning with new waiting times

12 weeks? Unbelievable Jeff! 

12 weeks, yeah?

12 weeks? Unbelievable Jeff!

That's what I was told. They had a few stock orders in the system which hadn't been allocated a build week yet and their demo was ordered in November and just arrived beginning of April

The petrol vRS is worth waiting for, as there's nothing like that terrific GTI engine in any other trim level. But the advantage of the diesel vRS over the diesel Elegance (both 2 litre, 184 bhp playing 148 bhp) is much more marginal, and 0% finance, a lower list price and a shorter wait would have swung it for me if I'd wanted a diesel.

Other interesting point I found when buying my Mk3 Elegance was that despite its power deficit compared to a Mk2 vRS TDi its a very light car at under 1300kg (1272kg for the manual estate) compared to 1420kg of a DSG equipped Mk2. As a consequence both cars have a nigh on identical power to weight ratio and can happily say after a few months and nearly 3k miles a 150 TDi Elegance goes with more gusto than a 170 TDi Mk2 because of the low kerb weight and vastly superior engine (the latest common rail motors are mechanically a fair bit different and are corkers).

Again the Mk3 vRS TDi is that but more powerful and is faster but weighs over 1400kg so the power to weight difference between a 184 TDi and 150 TDi is actually marginal and on the road theres not a great deal to tell between the two.

I bought the Elegance as I didnt want sports suspension this time round and it was a bit of a cost saving exercise as I got a v good part ex deal on my Blackline and 0% on the new one, also went for toys over sportiness. From experience of having a Mk2 vRS TDi though I wouldnt own another diesel vRS, lovely car as it was (in Blackline spec) it was a compromise too far in reality and more about show than go.....was the main reason I sold it in the end and will always say regardless of residuals and running costs I made a mistake buying the TDI vRS over the TSi;;not a mistake id make twice.

All a matter of opinion though.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1