Buying Advice for a new Fabia

Why does it have to be from the Factory,

is there no new unregistered cars in the UK suitable for your Mothers needs & wants that a Dealer can get ?

If you and your mother have not yet driven a vRS would it not be an idea to try one before 

looking at ordering a Factory Build?

• Like 1

Why does it have to be from the Factory,

is there no new unregistered cars in the UK suitable for your Mothers needs & wants that a Dealer can get ?

We haven't looked at that option.

Ordering from the factory will allow us to get the exact spec required.

I would have thought, maybe wrongly, that there would still be a good discount to have on factory ordered cars.

We don't need the car until September after my mother comes back from holidays.

It seems that dealers would prefer to have no sale than sell a car with a good discount.

Maybe just where you are looking, and how you are financing and you are not wanting it now.

Plenty of PCP deals or Lease or finance available around on vRS's, others are getting them.

Will they even be building vRS Fabias in July/August ?  I would be surprised, 

but if they are, then maybe bargains then as the last models are produced.

Looking at the new car broker prices for the vRS it seems that discounts now don't come anywhere near the previous levels when both the car and the options were "vat free".Imo it would be crazy to buy at these prices,£12 to £13k should get one as near to new as makes no difference,options are nice but add little to the residual value.

The exception would be if it was a long term keeper,the the depreciation would hurt a lot less....in which case make sure you get the 5 year warranty as one of the options.

I don't understand the garage reference - just put the car in the other way around?

And the ride on the VRS (I'm led to believe) is comparable to my Monte Carlo - hard.

Does your mum really need a 180BHP VRS, or would a 1.2 TSI with DSG in Elegance spec meet the requirement?  Or even a Monte Tech (VRS look-alike).

I don't understand the garage reference - just put the car in the other way around?

And the ride on the VRS (I'm led to believe) is comparable to my Monte Carlo - hard.

Does your mum really need a 180BHP VRS, or would a 1.2 TSI with DSG in Elegance spec meet the requirement?  Or even a Monte Tech (VRS look-alike).

The problem with the garage is that the door in and out is on the left hand side and there isn't enough room to walk around the car. I have suggested reversing the car in but it was a no.

I haven't driven a Monte Carlo but I have driven a SE plus model with the standard suspension. I found it a bit soft and rolled when going around corners.

I would have thought my car would have a harsher ride than the sports suspension Fabia. I know mine crashes a bit over pot holes but I don't find it uncomfortable.

But that is my assumption if it is the case that is very harsh then we need to test drive a spots suspension Fabia.

With regards to the engine The current their 130hp car feels a bit underpowered when driving in motor way traffic or trying to overtake.

Comparing that with the Fabia diesel I found the power was very accessible with its torque giving a good maid range punch to overtake and changing lanes on the motorway,

I would have preferred the 1.4 140hp version with cylinder deactivation which would have a low tax bracket as well as being economical.

Please keep on questioning my choices. Its a lot of money to waste if I give the wrong advice.

Is it you that wants the vRS or your mum,?

because a 1.2 TSI is surely as good as the Nissan she has for driving and getting around at NSL's.

& will body roll bother her, not that i think they have,  

but compared to your S3 they not doubt do.

How about a Ford Fiesta Ecoboost with Powershift for you Mum?

george

Is it you that wants the vRS or your mum,?

because a 1.2 TSI is surely as good as the Nissan she has for driving and getting around at NSL's.

& will body roll bother her, not that i think they have,  

but compared to your S3 they not doubt do.

george

I think your right. I'm starting to choose a car that I would like rather than what I set out to do and be neutral in choosing a car. :wall:

I was offered a big fat '0' discount off a factory order!

That's not good. Are sales people so arrogant that they would rather loose a sale and get the next sale at full price rather than make deals with discounts.

Unless the dealerships are finding that they are not getting the number of customers they need to justify a discount so the customers they do get have to pay full price.

Why don't you look at the Ibiza, they have a better choice of engines and Seat have some good deals at the moment.

They tend to be better specced as standard than the Fabia and the FR spec with the 1.4 TSI with cylinder deactivation would probably be a better buy the the Fabia vRS.

• Like 1

Why don't you look at the Ibiza, they have a better choice of engines and Seat have some good deals at the moment.

They tend to be better specced as standard than the Fabia and the FR spec with the 1.4 TSI with cylinder deactivation would probably be a better buy the the Fabia vRS.

I did suggest the Ibiza and showed her the brochure but she didn't like the fact the dealership was out of the way.

I do quite like the Ibiza though.

I'm glad in 20 years of driving I've only owned 3 cars. It gets stressful changing them.

Like the Ibiza myself. Just ordered one for other 'alf. Ibiza FR, 1.2 TSI, Metallic paint, 17" alloys, convenience pack and sat nav (not built in) for £11.7k. Good deal I thought.

Used Carwow.co.uk to get different dealers to quote a price and got the local dealer to match the cheapest price! Pretty good way of buying a new car and no face to face haggling for those who don't like it.

You may want to try Carwow for the new car!

• Like 2

Like the Ibiza myself. Just ordered one for other 'alf. Ibiza FR, 1.2 TSI, Metallic paint, 17" alloys, convenience pack and sat nav (not built in) for £11.7k. Good deal I thought.

Used Carwow.co.uk to get different dealers to quote a price and got the local dealer to match the cheapest price! Pretty good way of buying a new car and no face to face haggling for those who don't like it.

You may want to try Carwow for the new car!

I will try them as well.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been ordered today.

My mother decided she was happy with the price the dealer was offering and the 0% finance option with a little bit of a discount.

We (I) decided on a VRs with the following options:-

• Textile floor mats                          
  • Acoustic rear parking sensors    
  • Sat Nav                                            
  • Climate control                              
  • Cruise control                              
  • Front armrest                              
  • Rear Electric windows                
  • Race Blue Metalic Paint             

We are hoping to have it on September the 1st but it might be registered as a 14 plate if it arrives early because of the finance company not wanting it hanging about.

So this is probably one of the last VRs being built with the last model revision of Fabia before the new Fabia arrives.

Thanks again for answering my questions and debating my choices.

Speak to you all soon with photos of the new car. :)

• 2 months later...

The car has finally arrived at the dealers ready for my mother to collect it on 1st September.

So I thought I would post some preview photos of the car.

P7300020_zps7c0c89fa.jpg

P7300021_zps782d022b.jpg

When I showed the photos to my mother she thought the front looked a bit sporty...... :devil:

• Like 1

How much was that?

If you don't mind me asking.

The invoice total came to £19,190.

It is difficult to tell from the invoice exactly how much discount was given in the end but there was some.

• Like 1

£4,500 to £5,000 more than ones sitting at Dealers now,  that you can pick up for less than they are asking.

What got it so expensive, Life Shine, GAP, Extra 2 year Warranty etc,  ?

Discount ,  i think not.

It is no wonder they were happy to get it in and keep it until September. at that sort of money.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

£4,500 to £5,000 more than ones sitting at Dealers now,  that you can pick up for less than they are asking.

What got it so expensive, Life Shine, GAP, Extra 2 year Warranty etc,  ?

Discount ,  i think not.

It is no wonder they were happy to get it in and keep it until September. at that sort of money.

The only options was the extras on the car so I'm not sure why its so expensive.

I haven't got the invoice so will need to look at it to try and work it out.

A the end of the day my mother was happy with the money repayments and deposit and she got a car she will be happy with. 

Cars are money pits. That's why I don't want to get rid of my car as the depreciation makes me sick. :sick:

The invoice total came to £19,190.

It is difficult to tell from the invoice exactly how much discount was given in the end but there was some.

Glad you got a car you (and your Mum) are happy with.

Seems a bit expensive to me, but then I am know as a bit of a haggler. :D

I wish you many happy miles in it.

People also need to remember it's got options like Nav, Climatronic, met paint, cruise control etc... which all push the price up.

They may add virtually nothing to the resale value but they do make the car nicer while you own it.

Skoda's insistance on making one model with basic spec and forcing you to add all that stuff does add a lot to the cost.  And to the depreciation.

If there was a better specced model or an upgrade package it would be cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a copy of the invoice:-

scan0001_zpsfb3c93e4.jpg

It is very hard to work out discounts and all the costs. I can't even see the £145 Road Fund Licence listed but I guess that is under Delivery Pack cost.

The dealer has already allocated the registration number to the car.

I know its not a big deal but part of the fun of buying a new car is choosing the registration number from a list yourself.

Not long to go now until delivery. :sun:

I cant see any discount in there.

Last year I got a fabia keeper, a 105TSI DSG, Elegance, Nav, climate, rear electric windows, cruise con, Sunroof, heated seats, part leather upholstery, 3 spoke MFSW, bluetooth phone prep, headlight washers. Spare wheel. All for £13k and a bit. And half of that was on 0% over 2 year.. There was nearly £4K discount in there, back in the day. But it was not a VRS so the comparison may be invalid. The discount made that deal happen.

I think my car is great with plenty power, so the VRS will even be better.

Good luck to you both. If this is a hijacked thread apologies. IMHO you were very nice to the dealer. A quick look on carfile.net shows your exact spec, including the mats, available for £16313.70 today. Could you have possibly got it for approx £2800 less? Am I making a mistake somewhere?

Hmm does seem expensive to be expensive to me too.

Its not about being nice to the dealer. Dealers will talk complete rubbish if it means they get a sale. Never trust a salesman. Just get what you want and work hard on getting the price down.

I cant see any discount in there.

Last year I got a fabia keeper, a 105TSI DSG, Elegance, Nav, climate, rear electric windows, cruise con, Sunroof, heated seats, part leather upholstery, 3 spoke MFSW, bluetooth phone prep, headlight washers. Spare wheel. All for £13k and a bit. And half of that was on 0% over 2 year.. There was nearly £4K discount in there, back in the day. But it was not a VRS so the comparison may be invalid. The discount made that deal happen.

I think my car is great with plenty power, so the VRS will even be better.

Good luck to you both. If this is a hijacked thread apologies. IMHO you were very nice to the dealer. A quick look on carfile.net shows your exact spec, including the mats, available for £16313.70 today. Could you have possibly got it for approx £2800 less? Am I making a mistake somewhere?

Yes we did look at buying it from a broker but in the end my mother said she would prefer to get it through the dealer.

I did explain the savings and the car would be collected from the dealers as normal, but she decided against it.

Hmm does seem expensive to be expensive to me too.

Its not about being nice to the dealer. Dealers will talk complete rubbish if it means they get a sale. Never trust a salesman. Just get what you want and work hard on getting the price down.

I agree with you. Their attitude is having no sale at all than offer a discount.

So I don't know if the dealers get penalised for offering discounts. So its better for them to have a lower number of sales with no discount than having more sales with discounts.

When we were looking for a new car previously we were very interested in a Rover 416 the sales person sold it to us but then handed it over to their finance person to finish the deal.

We were so discussed with his attitude we walked out and bought the Nissan Primera instead.