Wireless set up

Chubbs

Hi

I currently have a PC at home connected to the 'net via traditional hardwired router - I tried it wirelessly but the signal was often too weak to be effective.  This is a typical Tiscali router from TalkTalk.

SWMBO is looking at purchasing an iPAD and also wants to use the TV wirelessly too.  Question is, do I simply plug in another wireless router to the phone line and search for it via the equipment? 

Sounds too easy, hence the post.  Any help would be greatfully received.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Chubbs.

You cannot put another router on the same phone line as the one you have, you could replace the router you have with a better one or add a wireless signal booster within the signal range of your existing router to relay the signal on a bit further, or add a wired access point to add a further coverage zone. 

John

I always use TPLink routers these days. Some people have reported problems, but I have had several without a single fault between them. In contrast, my last two non TPLink routers both melted (Netgear DGN2000 and Zoom X6).

My first TPLink was a budget emergency replacement (1/3rd the price), after the DGN2000 killed itself, however it turned out to give a faster ADSL AND wireless connection, and to work with a wider range of other brands that I kept it until only a few weeks ago.

I have also bought and used TPLink routers while staying in China, so they can take the heat and humidity, and I have a TPLInk wireless cable router I used to use as a cheap wireless network switch; like the others it performed flawlessly and I still have it in case of need.

Hi

I currently have a PC at home connected to the 'net via traditional hardwired router - I tried it wirelessly but the signal was often too weak to be effective.  This is a typical Tiscali router from TalkTalk.

If talktalk is your phone provider just ask them for the latest router. I changed mine about six months ago when I was having 'dropout' issues. I contacted talktalk and they just sent me out the latest router FOC. 

I blagged a new and free :) SKY Hub router recently. It's a lot more stable and lets me share files between pooters a lot quicker. It also has a nice smiley face on it when you connect your SKY box to it :)

• Like 1

That AV forums article looks reasonable.

Depending on how your house is built/arranged, I'd say WIFI devices should be in the same room (or near) the wireless access point (WIFI router or Broadband router with WIFI).

That might mean running wires between rooms or floors. Is your PC in the same room as the telly etc?

That might mean running wires between rooms or floors. Is your PC in the same room as the telly etc?

If you want to boost the signal to another room you can buy powerline wifi extenders that plug into the 13amp sockets, I use the hardwired type to connect the TV's to the internet. No messy wires all over the place.

Thanks for all the replies and apologies for my ignorance!

PC is on first floor landing and TV in ground floor living room.

I think I'll start by contacting TalkTalk and if they provide an updated router free gratis then I'll give that a whirl.  If not, I'll revisit and look at a 'decent' router.

Any recommendations please?  A brief look on the 'net shows a price range from a few quid to a couple of hundred.

Thanks again everyone.

Chubbs.

I got a new router from talktalk a few weeks ago. It kept dropping the wireless connection to various devices. I rang talktalk and expected to get the normal runaround. Instead the Indian bloke said he was sending me a new router about a minute and a half after I was connected to him.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

At my old work we had a free cheapo router from our ISP and the wireless signal was terrible. I replaced it with a draytek router which was totally different. The office was a barn conversion and some of the walls were 2 feet thick, we went from no signal in our meeting room to a great signal. The meeting room was less than 30 feet from the router.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would also make sure any wireless device is dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If you are going down the iPad route have a look at an Apple AirPort Express for £80 or less, you get the ability to stream audio and share a printer.