Runners/fitness folk?

Jane_i10

I've started the couch to 5k challenge, so far so good but ive only been at it just over a week. ATM its a good balance between feeling comfortable (not pushed beyond my limits) and challenging enough that i feel benefit.

Someone has told me that running is not very effective for losing weight? My actually physical weight itsnt really an issue to me, its more the fat % i want to loose, surly running is better then just dieting alone? 

When I was losing weight I was given a fairly good gym routine which essentially involved usual warm up, then doing the weights routine, followed by cardio.  The weights mean the muscles are working during the cardio and even after the cardio, and you will lose weight.  I lose a stone quite quickly, but recently have succumbed to a bad back again so all that is on hold.

Simply watching calories helped me a lot too though.

According to the programme thing it wouldnt be recommended i strength train just yet as my muscles are only just adapting to idea of exercise. I did have a Yoga ball..till the german shepherd thought it was his, tried to pick it up and popped it :/

Mine were never adapted, and never will be LOL.  But doing things in that order is what was recommended, and it did work, as I was doing it the other way before with minimal results.  I think this way of thinking is fairly recent in the whole "health" thing.  When I get back in to it, it's the way I'll be continuing.

I did try running once before, and after that experience i am very much a fan of following the programme, i pushed myself too far too soon and injured myself. I want to do more, i feel i could go running once a day and cross train the remaining but ive learnt my lesson!

• Like 1

I don't run.  I simply can't do it, or at least sustain it for any length of time.  I am a fan of rowing, cycling and can use the cross trainer fine.  The rower is good as I have a personal target of 2000 metres that I try and at least get close to, so I know I have had a reasonable bit of exercise.

With living in a sea side down we have some very good rowing teams and ive always admired their endurance and strength. On race days they go full tilt from Sandsend to Whitby Harbour, roughly 10 miles on open sea.

This keeping healthy stuff is hard graft, id much have a parmo and cider :/ 

at PT friend posted a link earlier on this subject http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1151/The_Truth_About_Cardio_For_Fat_Loss.aspx

Might be worth a read. You need to be pushing yourself to get the most from any exercise. I lift weights 3 times a week, football 2 times a week and usually go for a 10 - 15k run a week, mainly so I can then eat **** and not feel bad about it lol.

Edited by VRS Mike

at PT friend posted a link earlier on this subject http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1151/The_Truth_About_Cardio_For_Fat_Loss.aspx

Might be worth a read. You need to be pushing yourself to get the most from any exercise. I lift weights 3 times a week, football 2 times a week and usually go for a 10 - 15k run a week, mainly so I can then eat **** and not feel bad about it lol.

I feel tired just reading this.

Having said that I used to do that amount of exercise without thinking about it but that was about 6 years ago before I sprained my ankle to the point it is now so unstable I can't play the sports I enjoy.

You should always compliment cardio with strength training, even if its just body weight squats/lunges or tricep dips etc to start with.

I train every day, with cardio 5 times a week, and strength twice a week. Granted I'm not a trainer or at all qualified, but having paid a PT for 7 years you learn a lot!

Having said that, I've lost the most weight since changing eating habits!

Edited by Beckz0308

My Mrs has been doing that couch potato to 5k for the past couple of months. I was a bit skeptical at first as to what it'd be like but she loves it. She's lost weight, looks much more toned and has gone for getting out of breath going up the stairs to being able to run 5k fairly comfortably now. I think they do some squats and stuff when warming up. 

I feel tired just reading this.

Having said that I used to do that amount of exercise without thinking about it but that was about 6 years ago before I sprained my ankle to the point it is now so unstable I can't play the sports I enjoy.

Yes my ankles are always a bit screwed towards the end of season, don't think I will be playing on for too many years and looks like running will take over as my cardio hobby.

Have tried various methods and have settled on an Elliptical Cross Trainer. It is set up in the conservatory with a TV on a table opposite it. So I can keep fit and not miss any tele.

Also my GSD doesn't eat it.

As said above you need to change your eating and drinking habits as well as the training. Taking the right food intake to fuel and recover makes a huge difference to energy levels and performance.

I started off nearly 19 stone when blood pressure meant either pills or get serious - over the 7 months I turned my diet on its head, blasted a 48 min 10k out then a 2hr5 half marathon.

Never looked back after that, just kept booking 10ks and halves, great north 4 times, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, silverstone then went onto supersprint triathlons too.

5 years later I keep my blob under control to just over 13 stone which for 6ft and broad I'm well chuffed with.

Make sure you treat recover from runs as importantly as the warm up and runs, muscles need to recover properly.

Oh and shoes shoes shoes - most important piece of kit to minimise body damage/issues.

Keep it up and get that 5k nailed !!!!!

For fat burn your better doing low speed high intensity mixed with good old cardio!

For instance if you can find a hill and walk fast up it with weighted back pack then interval training such as sprinting between two lamp posts and then walking between two others and then repeat!

But it's important to have something to measure against ie couch to 5k that way you stay focused and have a target

Motivation and mind over matter!!!!

I've never been over weight but I'm now 14 stone 6 foot with 12.5 pct body fat I've done triathlons and tough guy comps using this sort of training. I am however a hopeless runner it's not natural for me which is why I used the walking to shed fat.

Edited by essexocty

Signed myself up for Edinburgh Marathon Festival 10k run in May. Tough Mudder in June and the Scottish Half Marathon in September. Have currently walk

Ed 5k this YEAR! Think I've a bit of training to do...

A un arguable rule I remind people who want to lose weight is that:

If you consume more calories than you burn off. You will gain weight

If you burn off more calories than you consume.

You will lose weight.

Simple science. This is not to be taken to the extreme- ie eating a leaf of lettuce and running a marathon. Most people advise eating very well and healthily whilst training hard as a good solution for weight loss.

I will +1 everyone's emphasis on proper warm ups, a short jog/fast walk, then a stretch once the muscles have 'loosened', then the cardio/exercise routine and then finally a cool down and stretch to finish.

Also - shoes - I would take a wide berth by Nike and Adidas running trainers, despite how fancy they look, and stick to the dedicated running trainers (Asics, New Balance) more expensive but definitely worth it.

Once you've lost the weight and are maybe thinking of toning, I would highly recommend circuit training sessions twice a week :thumbup:

JRJG

I understand the concept of eating more healthy, to which im doing. My job is already pretty active so im not sat behind a desk, although some days i wish i was!

Ive got some decent enough running trainers, my treat for when i finish this programme is to buy some proper ones. Two reasons, a goal and to make sure im making a good investment

Thankfully im not a salad dodger. I like all my greens and what not so eating healthy is not a difficult challenge for me, for tea ive just had fresh steamed salmon (mother dearest is a fish monger) and steamed veg. I had a big portion of fish as im on night duty in an hour for 11 hours and need something to keep me going!

It was a jump in my training today, who would of thought the extra 30 seconds of running was so much of a step up?! i must admit i was having one of those 'not feeling my best' days today but i ploughed through :)

It's the tough days that will help you push through the hard runs. We all have them !!

I would seriously consider spending some hard earned on professionally fitted shoes. Every time mine are replaced (7-800 miles) I'm staggered at the difference in just worn shoes never mind average ones !!!

I've got back into cycling quite a lot this last year and I've just recently bought a proper road bike. Usually go out at least once a week with a mate and my brother and I'm nearly up to the 18 mph average speed. I'm aiming for a bike ride challenge for charity at the end of June, so got plenty to motivate me.

I think I can improve my diet a little, but that's work in progress.

Trying to find the balance of pushing yourself and over doing it is important though.