Detailing light sources

samuir1974

I was due to spend a few hours polishing up the girlfriends car today;

but some of the detailing products ordered didnt turn up in time.  :wall:

Anyway - got to spend some time on my car; then cleaning out the garage.

But in preparation for a lot of polishing on her black magic paint;

i cleaned, charged and tested my detailing light options for the job.

1. Halogen 50W solux 4700K 3-M style hand gun

2. Quad LED 12W 4500K 3-M style hand gun (has much longer battery life than 1)

3. 500W mains halogen inspection lamp

Looking forward to getting stuck in....

BBC2313C-D5D2-4ED3-BB9E-91F1A401781A_zps

Did yiu clean out the garage because I did my outhouse yesterday , just like I had ti do my wheels and underneath my car as yours were cleaner than mine !

• Like 1

Did yiu clean out the garage because I did my outhouse yesterday , just like I had ti do my wheels and underneath my car as yours were cleaner than mine !

You know how much **** is in my garage - 1-day wouldnt be enough! LOL

Managed to retrieve the lawnmower and edge trimmer from the back corner;

found the inspection lamp on the way, and that was about it for the day tbh.

...also stocked up the beer fridge too - so had to do a taste test obviously  :giggle:

• Like 1

Sonax bsd

Yes... mine got Sonax BSD added after i left your place; exhausts polished and sealed and tyre gel added.

Oh - plus i IPA'd the rear diffuser and then let rip with the Gtechniq C4. Looking much better  :sun:

I use a pair of tripod mounted mains powered 500w lamps.  Very good setup for me.  :thumbup:

Found that being able to point each lamp in slightly different directions can highlight areas of concern better than two direct beams - almost like I am using "background" lighting if that makes sense? :D  It makes no sense to me and I typed it.

Sounds good mate.

The twin tripod mount version is on my list.

I have in hand two LED security spotlight versions which I plan to bolt on the underside of the standard halogen bracket.

Might be overkill, but it's an additional light source which can only help, I think LOL

Yes. Some of the Silverline units shipped recently had a similar issue I understand. Might be worth trying some 300W bulbs to run the halogens a little cooler.

Another reason I'm implementing the LED backup option...

Edited by samuir1974

Didn't think of running lower W bulbs.... :D

500 can be overkill in a small space, and can get a bit of a sweat going if left pointing at a prominent area whilst bending over to polish a sill.  :D

Well I doing switching from 500 to 300W helped a lot on my home security halogens. But now swapped to LED and haven't changed a bulb in 3years plus...

My single portable 500W generates enough heat alone.... I get the picture.... Your setup must be somewhat Scorchio!!!! LOL

If you can get hold of them, plasterers flourescent

tubes on stands are good for this too, usually 110v though

if they are the real deal.

No problems if like me you use transformers for your day job.

e708645.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share this small update with the forum on the detailing light source options.

I came across a thread on DW about the Ultrafire CREE LED torch and how useful it could be.

As it turns out - a month or so back i picked up a twin pack of similar style FEIT Electric CREE LED torches.

They only claim to be 500LM compared with the 1800-2000LM of the Ultrafire..... but thought to give it a try.

Units have a powerful CREE light source and variable focal length lens which makes the significant difference.

See pics below. FEIT torch twin pack was about £23 at Costco; Ultrafire's and copies are rife on eBay

but they do have some with rechargeable batteries etc - which might be a good upgrade perhaps.

97B88FA7-59B5-4432-B9A9-95DAB662470D_zps

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring?partnumber=988295,988105,980003,979989&sort=price-low-to-high&cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK26WSHOP-_-Main-_-Message%20_AUT

quote named"devonutopia" post="3744337" timestamp="1398025101"]I use a pair of tripod mounted mains powered 500w lamps.  Very good setup for me.  :thumbup:

Found that being able to point each lamp in slightly different directions can highlight areas of concern better than two direct beams - almost like I am using "background" lighting if that makes sense? :D  It makes no sense to me and I typed it.

I had an email today from Halfords offering buy 1 get the 2nd half price so if anyone wants a couple of 400w halagon lights on individual stands these look a good deal at £30 for 2. Delivery is free too which stops you getting tempted in store if you decide to pick them up. Good addition for the winter months if your garage is big enough IMO. Offer ends tomorrow though

• Like 1

http://www.halfords.com/motoring?partnumber=988295,988105,980003,979989&sort=price-low-to-high&cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK26WSHOP-_-Main-_-Message%20_AUT

quote named"devonutopia" post="3744337" timestamp="1398025101"]I use a pair of tripod mounted mains powered 500w lamps.  Very good setup for me.   :thumbup:

I had an email today from Halfords offering buy 1 get the 2nd half price so if anyone wants a couple of 400w halagon lights on individual stands these look a good deal at £30 for 2. Delivery is free too which stops you getting tempted in store if you decide to pick them up. Good addition for the winter months if your garage is big enough IMO. Offer ends tomorrow though

I am more tempted by the shelves, then I can sort all my detailing stuff out.

• Like 2

The idea is to have 3 or 4 of these mounted down each side of the garage on the wall facing the side of the car.

plus 1 or 2 mobile ones on dedicated stands. Starting out with LED for low power, less heat - but still in planning....  :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing the link on the Halfords stuff.