MDI Sound Issues

I've not long owned my Superb but when buying it I asked for the MDI cable to be installed so I could play my iPod through the Columbus with full control. At first it seemed to work fine but recently I have noticed that the quality of sound is really poor. The bass seems to distort very easily and the treble sounds muffled almost, even at low volume.

I've made sure that the connections are all correct, and have ensured they are all clean. I've changed the EQ settings on the iPod to see if this affects it but whilst it does change some sound characteristics, the distortion is still there. The sound quality from the radio/cd player is good, as is the sound from the bluetooth connection from my iPhone. I've tried listening to the same song through the MDI and then through the bluetooth and there is a marked difference in quality.

The idea of having the MDI was so that I have full control through the Columbus and the steering wheel and obviously my iPod contains more music than my iPhone.

Before I speak to the dealer I was just wondering if anyone had experienced similar problems, or have I just got a bad lead!

Any help much appreciated.

Sounds like a problem with the lead alright, possibly a broken or damaged pin in the data lead. A / B it with another one from the dealer. I have the same set up with no issues like that, it should be a simple fix.

Best of luck,

Rob

I had the same problem after a few months. It turned out to be the lead. Got a new one - no more problems.

I must say though, I find the sound fom the SD card slot better and I can still manage all the music from Columbus (or steering wheel)

Had the same on mine. Try adjusting the aux level to low (which also applies to the MDI). Sorted it for me.

Makes perfect sense actually ...

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try the aux level first and see how that affects it. If not I'll be on to the dealer to get the lead swapped.

Thanks for your help so far!

I'll double check, but I'm sure I have 'Aux input' turned off as I don't have an Aux input but do have MDI.

Never had an issue with sound quality either.

There is also a possibility of a firmware update for the MDI (have a look on the 'My Gti' website, but I doubt this is the issue here.

Most likely is the lead at fault.

Can I just check, when you are saying the lead may be at fault, are you meaning the lead from the head unit to the MDI plug (located in the centre armrest pocket) or the short lead from the MDI plug to the iPod? Or both?!

Thanks for advice, have adjusted the Aux Level to low and this seems to have improved the sound although still not completely happy. Going to call dealers today and talk it through with them, see about changing the lead.