Replacing Stream MP3 With Kenwood DNX520VBT

I managed to pick up a Kenwood DNX520VBT from Ebay and decided to have a go at fitting it tonight. All went well removing the trim and the Stream unit so I decided to try connecting the unit before screwing it all in and again, no problem. Everything worked fine and I set up my phone etc.

Next I tried to fit the unit in but I cannot get the thing to sit flush.!? It seems to be hitting the large square power/ speaker connector and I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up. I removed the stereo and had a good look to see where the best place to hide the connect would be but not seeing anything obvious. Has anyone had issues with this before? There is also a rectangular box connected inline (no idea what it is for) but this is not helping the issue.

If anyone could assist on where the best place to hide all this away top allow the stereo to slide back it wold be much appreciated. Also, I've now realised my trim  doesn't fit with this unit as it leaves a gap. I assume I need a Columbus trim. My car has the older style auto climate with the 3 holes in silver - does anyone know what the part number would be to order one up? I called up my local dealer who pretty much laughed as he said there are over 20 versions so couldn't help!?

Any advice be be awesome!

Thanks in advance! 

For the trim try skodaparts.com and search on the part number 1Z0858069. Loads of options but if you are sure it is the same as the Columbus you should be able to find the one you want. The cost is less for the older ones.

For the quadlock can you put the wires to the side of the cage? That is what I have done in adding the extra lock for the bluetooth in mine.

Adam

• Like 1

Use a trim removal tool (or be very careful with something flat, like a screwdriver) and remove the box on the top centre of the dash with the air vents, hazard warning switch & pop up cubby hole. It's pretty easy and just held in with resistance, and once it's gone you can stick your hand down the back of the stereo as it's going in and move the blocks to where you want them instead of jamming them against the back of the aperture.

Edited by blackspaven

Thanks for your responses. I'll have a look for the trim and see if I can get it ordered. 

That makes sense to remove the air vent box on the top and should let me see what I'm doing. Going in blind is a nightmare! I'm tempted to go back out and try it now but probably best waiting until tomorrow.  :blush:

I'll update on how it goes! 

Cheers.

I've decided to run the microphone first before fitting the head unit but was wondering if the oem mic would work on this unit? The mic supplied with the kenwood needs to be 'on display' like at the top of the a pillar but as there's a vent at the sunglasses holder in the roof I think this would be much tidier. Anyone tried this before? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is now all fitted and working great. Thanks for the earlier responses as it made it a lot easier to gain access. I have ordered the new trim as well as the original one looks shocking!! Lol. Cheers.

I've decided to run the microphone first before fitting the head unit but was wondering if the oem mic would work on this unit? The mic supplied with the kenwood needs to be 'on display' like at the top of the a pillar but as there's a vent at the sunglasses holder in the roof I think this would be much tidier. Anyone tried this before? Thanks.

That grill is exactly where the OEM microphone goes. Just pull the unit out (it clips at the back edge and hinges at the front end).

Yep. Received when it was all done and working! I've decided to leave the original kenwood mic where it is. I have it at the top of the 'a' pillar and its pretty discreet however it was a bit of a pain getting it behind the steering wheel trim. I used a wire to feed through and eventually got it in place and its looking really tidy. Just frustrated now I've to remove the head unit again for the reverse cam when I order it. Speaking of which, does anyone know a good one? A few on ebay for sale but would like to do this once and correctly. Thanks!