Engine oil filler neck

If you aren't running an engine cover can you just remove this and fit the oil cap directly in its place? I've just been having a look and it seems to be fine bar the fact the oil can picture is spun 90 degrees.

And thoughts or feedback welcome please chaps!

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Cheers mate! Thought that was the case. I hate the huge filler neck without the cover on so my OCD can live with it, happy compromise :-)

Audi r8 and porsche both available from awesome gti. See I'm keeping everything black and silver. Shiny silicone hose seems to be my new strange obsession... lol

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread somewhat but are these filler necks glued in place?

Since I got the car the filler neck spins round when I take off the oil cap. Previous owner wrapped a zip tie round but it seems this does nothing. I like to have an engine cover so it looks a bit weird with the oil cap on without the spacer.

How can it be fixed in place again? I will probably run with the just the cap on as I'm starting to get paranoid about it but would like it fixed.

They are just pushed onto the neck of filler pipe itself, no location tags etc, nano..

Do you think I mean the rubber dish? I don't mean that I mean the neck/spacer that has oil cap type tabs and locates on top of the rocker cover. It must stay fixed somehow it can't be right that it comes undone when you undo the oil cap?

IIRC it's the same fitting as the oil cap?

Hence why the oil cap fits directly in its place.

Just a twist fit,but should be tight so perhaps the spring part on yours is worn/damaged

IIRC it's the same fitting as the oil cap?

Hence why the oil cap fits directly in its place.

Just a twist fit,but should be tight so perhaps the spring part on yours is worn/damaged

I think that must be it because you can twist the neck finger tight but there is no reassuring click. Its never leaked and has stayed in place but its not quite right. Was just wondering if it's worth buying a new one or whether the problem would remain without it being glued. Might be worth trying a new one they're not much over a tenner.

Do you think I mean the rubber dish? I don't mean that I mean the neck/spacer that has oil cap type tabs and locates on top of the rocker cover. It must stay fixed somehow it can't be right that it comes undone when you undo the oil cap?

Yes, sorry about me getting to think it was the rubber filler neck gaiter, and not the filler cap itself..humble apologies..

Got any photos for us all ?

Filler cap has two locating lugs which locate inside filler neck..to keep in place..

Edited by giandougl

Yes, sorry about me getting to think it was the rubber filler neck gaiter, and not the filler cap itself..humble apologies..

Got any photos for us all ?

Filler cap has two locating lugs which locate inside filler neck..to keep in place..

Yeah it's the other end that's the problem, the oil cap type tabs on bottom of filler neck/spacer (as coskev says) aren't staying fixed in the rocker cover, hence it spinning round undone when I undo the oil cap. It goes finger tight but not locking. Away for a couple of days so can't do pics I'm afraid.

Mine leaked a bit so i made up another rubber seal using the existing as a template and fitted it underneath. No leaks now with the 2 rubber seals but, yeah, by all means get rid and just use the cap.