Roof Rail hex screw fittings LAS630010

manxman

My current Yeti has these screws fitted to the rails to take the genuine Skoda roof bars.

I am shortly to take delivery of a new F/L vehicle.

Can these screw be removed from the old vehicle and used on the new one [i recall reading they could only be unscrewed twice before the screw thread broke but cannot locate the article now], or are the rail fittings different.

If the cannot be removed successfully can anyone tell me the best/cheapest place to buy new ones?  I have only come across a set of "4 spares" but the initial roof bar kit supplied a total of 10, which I would still need.

Many thanks

Manxman

I think the screws are meant to be only used twice as they come pre coated with thread lock, I think if Loctite thread lock was re applied you could use them as often as you like. Oh and you might only need 8, later classic Yeti's only had 8 holes in the roof rails so suspect F/L is the same, you would need to check.

Sorry to go off topic- must congratulate Manxman on being the first on Island to own a F/L Yeti I bet your Roys a bit jealous. Is it an Outdoor or City?

Tony

Edited by manxskoda

Also don't take all ten off!!!  The roof rail on the FL does not have the alternate positions at the back.  So you can only move 8 of them over.   :giggle:  Or it means you will have two spare.

The F/L has 8 screwed inserts.

Your old ones should all come out, but if when they were originally put in cross threaded, or over tightened, or the locktite is too strong, Then at the worst the screws could shear off or the insert can spin round in the roof rail. If that happens then unfortunately the options are a bit more limited. 

They can be reused and have a drop of screwlock applied.

It is possible to have more of those captive nut inserts fitted (They are M6 Clinch Nuts) if you need alternative positions.

To remove the screws warm them with a hairdryer it will soften the locktight and make them easier to remove.  

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions above - as always really appreciated.

ManxSkoda - Roy may have the last laugh  :rofl:   After I had placed my order for a white SE DSG with Mitchells at Cheshire Oaks, Roy & Heather decided they should change theirs too.  Heather got the same deal at Mitchells and ordered a silver SE DSG.  Mitchells have sourced one for me [built week 16] but told Heather that they had a silver and black one coming in shortly.  So it's a case of wait and see which one arrives first.  Still mine was the first order  :giggle:   So we are going from Grey SE DSG & Black SE DSG to White & Silver!  Don't know if white is an easy colour to keep clean but I have gone through the "colour-spectrum" on earlier cars and the white one does look nice in all the photos I have seen

Sorry ManxSkoda forgot to mention the new arrivals will both be Outdoor models

Edited by manxman

Update for ManxSkoda

Mitchells have been on to us and BOTH cars are arriving on the same trailer tomorrow [Friday 2nd May].  Won't be ready for collection until after Wednesday 7th.  Then the problems start  :devil:

Roy & Heather can only travel over on Saturday 10th.  IOM to Heysham in the morning and then back in the evening from Liverpool.  Cost for the day-trip - £300.00. :sick:   WHAT A RIP OFF BY THE ISLE OF MAN STEAM PACKET COMPANY.

I couldn't travel over until Monday 12th at the earliest, due to hospital appointment, and guess what.....No room on the fastcraft on the morning of the 12th due to all the Rally cars returning home.  No large ferry sailing at this time due to being in dry-dock for a refit.  Then no morning sailing to England on Tuesday 13th as the fastcraft is doing a trip to Belfast.  So I am having to travel to Liverpool on the afternoon sailing of the 12th, then overnight stay and pick up car Tuesday 13th.  As I need to do some Family History research in Liverpool thought I may as well combine the two jobs and so will not now travel back until Thursday 15th.

Daft situation really....I can do this 4 day trip, with three nights in 3 star hotel in Liverpool, for just £29 dearer that Roy and Heather's day-trip! 

By the way, what colour are you driving so that I can look out for you?  You are welcome to have a 'skeet' at the F/L, if you are interested.

Regards 

Manxman [alias Tony Quirk]

Hi Tony, similar situation to myself as regarding picking up from Mitchells. Cost £300 just to go to Birkenhead in Dec 12 and had to wait a fortnight to get the sailing date.Will PM you my phone number to have a natter. Really do need a Skoda Dealer on the Isle of Man.

Tony

Forgot to say Petrol Blue Elegance, with Briskoda stickers in front and rear screen.

Edited by manxskoda

.......WHAT A RIP OFF BY THE ISLE OF MAN STEAM RACKET COMPANY.

Just corrected that for you there Tony!

I shan't be over for the Manx National Rally 9-10th May this year. But have been many times in the past.

Rest assured the rally crews feel the same way, and aren't treated any more favourably than yourselves. You should see what the charge is for a van and trailer! Then you have to ship the fuel over separately. (Many use "special brew" fuels, not normally available on island (or from mainland regular filling stations for that matter.) Good income, out of season, for the Racket Company and Douglas hotels though. Not to mention cafes and restaurants around the island during recce.

Somehow the thought of a family of Yetis on Mona's Isle just fits :happy:

I fully endorse youre comments as to pricing of IOM Steampacket but they have the "User Agreement" with the Manx Goverment and nobody else gets a look in.Just to go off- topic regarding the other Thread regarding Mark Higgins (Rally driver) he is a Manxman and is over here for the TT to do a lap of the TT course in a USA spec Subaru Impreza Sti to see if he can beat his old lap record.Very hairy he neally lost it going down Bray Hill last time!!!!!

Tony