vrs catalytic converter OEM

Hey guys,

It's just dawned on me, that my vrs may have the wrong cat fitted, as i've only just had a look at pics of standard cats and mine looks completely different!

I was going to replace it with a 3" downpipe and decat, but can someone post up a pic of the standard cat, just to shed some light for me! It may lead to why my car goes into it's no boosting limp mode!

thanks and much appreciated! :)

Edited by wally22

Cheers mate, i had a bad feeling about this!

I'll try get a pic if the cat that's currently on the car tomorrow afternoon or something but it is deffo completely different to that!! :o

i do remember when i bought the car, the lad said the cat had been replaced, never thought if that til now!

Cheers mate!

Seen this being brought up a few times, yeah checked them and they light up right away, just by touching the pedal. I neber thought the exhaust would have played a part in this but the cat back is 3" custom, and the downpipe and cat are a piece of poo! So might just be reatricted and not getting the correct calculations for the ECU and just shutting it to limp mode. Soon as the engine is turned off and back on again i have boost again, just not for long!

Seen this being brought up a few times, yeah checked them and they light up right away, just by touching the pedal. I neber thought the exhaust would have played a part in this but the cat back is 3" custom, and the downpipe and cat are a piece of poo! So might just be reatricted and not getting the correct calculations for the ECU and just shutting it to limp mode. Soon as the engine is turned off and back on again i have boost again, just not for long!

The brake light shouldn't come on by just touching the pedal. There should be around 5mm of travel before the lights come on.

I replaced my brake light switch the other week. At first I noticed my brake lights were still on after parking up. Wiggling the pedal made them go off. Eventually I started getting 'limp' mode systems. When the car thinks you're applying the brakes I guess it closes the throttle causing engine braking, aiding normal braking. You can test it in action by driving along normally with your right foot on the accelerator and then gently press the brake pedal a tiny bit with your left foot. The accelerator pedal becomes unresponsive and feels like your applying the brakes more than you are.

It's not as sensitive as i'm making it out to be haha! But i can say that it goes into limp mode as soon as i push hard on the brakes. Maybe it's sticking for that split second to send it into limp mode?

But still i think this piece of poop cat is causing enough back pressure to mess up the system too. I'll see what's what and post up when i get answers!

I'm sure someone told me that the brake light switch is 2 switches, one goes to the brake lights and the other goes to the ecu

It's not as sensitive as i'm making it out to be haha! But i can say that it goes into limp mode as soon as i push hard on the brakes. Maybe it's sticking for that split second to send it into limp mode?

But still i think this piece of poop cat is causing enough back pressure to mess up the system too. I'll see what's what and post up when i get answers!

I'm not convinced it's the switch either, but as BrownBarge says it's only £12.

I got the following for only £5.33:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_1.8_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-switch-and-car-sensors/?464440091&1&8dad05cf8d8b3c1a1e78b57b027bbb07ab8a5bf0&000415

Now a little more expensive. It appears to be a VAG part as it has the VW/Audi stamp on it.

If you do change it, they can be fiddly and can break easily. I had a test with my original switch and did indeed break it! In the end I didn't bother depressing the pedal and just pushed it in a turned.

Get a picture of the CAT you have fitted and post here, usually CATS are replaced with sports versions which should be less restrictive.

I'm not convinced it's the switch either, but as BrownBarge says it's only £12.

I got the following for only £5.33:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_1.8_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-switch-and-car-sensors/?464440091&1&8dad05cf8d8b3c1a1e78b57b027bbb07ab8a5bf0&000415

Now a little more expensive. It appears to be a VAG part as it has the VW/Audi stamp on it.

If you do change it, they can be fiddly and can break easily. I had a test with my original switch and did indeed break it! In the end I didn't bother depressing the pedal and just pushed it in a turned.

i'll see how i get in with the brake switch and see if that's at fault! Constant changing of sensors and switches haha! :)

Get a picture of the CAT you have fitted and post here, usually CATS are replaced with sports versions which should be less restrictive.

yeah i'll get a pic up as soon as i can, haven't had the chance yet. Doesn't look like a sports cat, looks like an old piece found off a beaten up tranny van or summin! :o looks aweful! Found the invoice that went back to when it was fitted, back in feb 2010, and it cost near enough 500. Really doesn't show for it! And also looks like the pipes are about an inch and a half at most!

This is the piece of poop cat in question. Thoughts? The standard one doesn't have grooves around it like this one does!

post-113391-0-53805100-1399473530_thumb.jpg

Edited by wally22