Arch mod done!

Finally got round to fitting the grill to my arch liner. It came off a fiat cinquecento I got from my local scrappies and it looks OK quite happy. Anyway i was just curious at what speeds will any difference be noticed. Is it just higher speeds when the IC is getting cooler air or more hotter weather.

Mine lags badly up top with the side mount intercooler!! It's great 1st 2nd but 3rd onwards holding back like ****.! Standard cooler is a stupid design and whoever the guy is that came up with it is...... needs a good slap :/

Mine lags badly up top with the side mount intercooler!! It's great 1st 2nd but 3rd onwards holding back like ****.! Standard cooler is a stupid design and whoever the guy is that came up with it is...... needs a good slap :/

It works fine on a standard car lol

• Like 1

Really warm days ( twice a year!! ) I've noticed mine just seems a little slow to pick up so yeah laggy. I'm suspecting its been remapped by the previous owner but he never mentioned anything. I'll notice a difference maybe during summer.

After a few full throttle blasts mine too seems laggy. Dam heatsoak. I drilled holes in my arch liner to have the same effect as the vent but its no better to be honest

Yes to be honest I'm not too convinced if its going to make any difference but it hasn't cost much to do. Pop rivets couple of quid, I bought a spare Octavia arch liner in case I fluffed my original, plus the fiat one got both for a tenner so it hasn't cost the earth.

Oh and the big pile of soil/leaves/dead animals down the back of the arch liner was a bit shocking! So I'll be taking the other one off over the weekend to clean that.

• Like 2

Oh and the big pile of soil/leaves/dead animals down the back of the arch liner was a bit shocking! So I'll be taking the other one off over the weekend to clean that.

This caused both my wings to rust. I left a couple of the screws out of the liner at the bottom in the hope that any crap in future will fall out

Finally got round to fitting the grill to my arch liner. It came off a fiat cinquecento I got from my local scrappies and it looks OK quite happy. Anyway i was just curious at what speeds will any difference be noticed. Is it just higher speeds when the IC is getting cooler air or more hotter weather.

Nice mod. I KEEP meaning to get round to doing mine (what a lazy git - I've had my VRS for nearly 4 years now, lol!)

Anyway - question is, which bit of a Fiat ***** did you remove this grille from my friend?

Cheers!

. Anyway i was just curious at what speeds will any difference be noticed. Is it just higher speeds when the IC is getting cooler air or more hotter weather.

It is not benefitting most at speed. It is actually a big benefit at tick over in traffic. The lag is caused by the heat soak due to the smic not being able to disperse the warm air out of it so when you pull away that warm air is passed through system and lag is felt. Especially on summer months ticking over stationary in traffic.

This is where the arch mod is effective.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It is not benefitting most at speed. It is actually a big benefit at tick over in traffic. The lag is caused by the heat soak due to the smic not being able to disperse the warm air out of it so when you pull away that warm air is passed through system and lag is felt. Especially on summer months ticking over stationary in traffic.

This is where the arch mod is effective.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yeah I have noticed a little improvement on pick up. It just seems a bit more eager to go. It may be a snake oil effect though!! But it was worth doing just to get all that crap out from behind the arch liner.

Nice mod. I KEEP meaning to get round to doing mine (what a lazy git - I've had my VRS for nearly 4 years now, lol!)

Anyway - question is, which bit of a Fiat ***** did you remove this grille from my friend?

Cheers!

Lol I know what you mean I've been meaning to do this a while but maybe not 4 years! Its just an arch liner buddy off the drivers side. I looked all over the scrap yard but these were the best I could find. In the end I took this off a cinquecento but right beside that was a newer ciecento and that had the same arch liner fitted so either will do.

t-16199.jpgI have a hole and a louvered vent from B&Q like this. It stops the crap getting in and must let some air out.

I saw the NCT inspector taking a good look at it on the ramps, but after he couldn't pull it off he was happy enough. 

Edited by michael1

I haven't at the minute but it is pretty much the same as the one pictured only it is dark grey. I formed it a little bit with a heat gun before putting it on as it was too flat to go on flush with the arch. If I get a minute I'll try take a pic of it later.

When my insurance runs out for the year I'm planning a few mods on my diesel like turbo/injectors/remap. Does anyone know how big is too big to go on the louvered vent? Some of them seem very small, I kinda get the impression that the bigger the better in this case...as long as it doesn't let too much crap in behind the liner.