Roof bars (and other related accessories)

docc

For occasional use the roofbars should be fine. I have just bought the Thule, as although my use is occasional the load is usually heavy in the form of timber. Off e-bay I have bought new 969 bars for £73, and nearly new 775 foot pack for £50, both inclusive of p&p. I had thought about the genuine Skoda as they have a dedicated easy fit, but they seem to sit high and as they do not overhang the cars roofrails strapping down would not be so easy.

The high-vis vests are good value for two, and the inverter likewise if you want to charge a laptop or similar.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

I think the lidl ones will be a little short - will fit but at their limits - Mick'sGarage on web (cheaper direct rather than ebay but worth checking both) do the next size up. I bought these also as an infrequent user - set them up and then packed them away. Yesterday I spent a frustrating half hour fitting them, exacerbated by my determination when first setting them up to cut and fit the wind whistle prevention channels far too accurately - so much so I have now super glued (with care) the receiving nuts in position in the receiving bracket, - this cured my frustration and for the occasional user I am more than happy with them.

If this is of interest - I know I have a 10% discount code for Mick's Garage which I think is still valid which I am sure with a little effort I can find and post. 

Peter

Peter, does he sell just the feet as I have bars on my current car but the feet bit will need ot be changed I assume as they current fit in the door frame not to fixed side bars like on the yeti? If so, would love a discount code if there is one? :)

Thanks

Any idea if this will fit?

I have one sat in my attic gathering dust, but no bars to fit it to.

Fit what?  It'll fit on any bars using either the T-track system (for use on bars with the groove in them) or using a regular U-clamp for square bars.  I have one of those carriers and have used it on the Yeti with Thule bars (T-track).  The Aldi bars appear to show a groove, but I can't confirm.

If this is of interest - I know I have a 10% discount code for Mick's Garage which I think is still valid which I am sure with a little effort I can find and post. 

Peter

Yes please!

Just ordered the set from micks garage and I can confirm the the code RACK10 does work. I been looking for clamps for the yeti roof rails but Thule only do feet that are attached via a wrap around strap. I do have a Thule whisper bar rack and feet and I'm hoping that the set I've just ordered, the clamps will fit on to the Thule bars.

Any suggestions, please, for roof bars etc?    Just for occasional use, really.  Thule would be nice, but I'm sure there are cheaper options which would fit the bill.  Like these, perhaps, from Lidl:  ?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-1B75E04A-9519806A/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=12278

So, has anyone bought these? Do they fit?

So, has anyone bought these? Do they fit?

Pretty sure they're too short for the Yeti, unfortunately.  

• Length (cm): 120
  • Max. roof width (mm): 1070
  • Max. rail width (mm): 58

Distance between the rails on the Yeti is 1160mm (or thereabouts).  Unless, of course, anyone's actually bought a set and found they're OK?

I bought the Lidl ones the last time they were on offer only to find they are indeed a wee bit too short.  So passed them onto a work colleague to fit onto his car. 

Picked up a set from Micks Garage recently and they are excellent and around half the price of the Thule and Skoda ones.  Did the job just fine when I brought a full sized roof box to Wales and back for an mtb weekend. :)

Sorry for lack of response - yes I have found the code but alas expiry date April 14 but as some more efficient members have confirmed the current code I'm not feeling so bad about my tardiness.

As for feet only - I know not but they have been prompt with email queries in the past.

Peter

Thanks, not found feet on there yet, will have to double check the details of my bars and will then email them to find out, thanks :)

I stupidly bought the lidl ones last year. On the packet they list every skoda except the yeti. But I assumed that was an error. It's not. They don't fit

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

if we were discussing you selling them, which of course we're not on this section of the board, how much would you be looking for for them?  :giggle:  :angel:

Thanks, all.  Micks Garage it is, then, with the code kindly provided above by Zarniwoop.  Just over £60 for the Menabo Dozer, but at least it'll fit.

Can't understand why all these roof bars cost so much for a shaped length of aluminium plus a few bits and pieces, but there it is.  Must be a huge profit margin in there if Lidl can sell much the same thing (albeit marginally shorter) for £26.99 and still make a profit!

Aren't the Lidl ones the same make as the Mick's Garage ones? So yes quite a profit margin.

Out on the floor.

K.T.F.

Same make, yes (Menabo) but a different model.  The Lidl ones are the Brio - too short.  The Brio XL (135cm) would be OK for the Yeti, but not the Brio.  Mick's Garage sell the Dozer XL for the Yeti - slightly more expensive than the Brio XL would be, I believe, but there must still be a huge margin on these things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well eventually got round to fitting the dozer XL from mick's garage. Quite impressed with the quality of the item for the price,not up there with the Thule. The clamps have to be fully open to engage the roof rail. One thing for certain is, make sure you attach the bottom plastic strip under the roof bar, otherwise you will have a whistling noise once you get over 40mph. As for the Thule whisper bar, they will fit after a bit of modification to the dozer feet clamps, so will fit the whisper bar later on

• Like 1