Multible faults and dash light up like a christmas tree

So, I got myself a "little" problem yesterday. First earlier at day, I jumped to car and was starting, at first try, it didnt. The second immediatly Octy started and everything was ok. Later when I went a market and came out, I started and then it hit. Almost all lights on dash started flashing and the cars computer started throwing several different faults. I shut down and started again. Only airbag was on. So when I got back home, I connected VCDS and read the fault codes.

This is what I got: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksg4am50tjm0fiw/Log-SKL-918-TMBEF61Z9B2057387.txt

I read the codes and resetted. Then read codes again with car not running and car running. All results are at the same .txt file.

I guess this could be battery problem, since there is low voltage (~12.35V). And today I am going to go and buy a new battery.

Currently there is still 5 faults, which I couldn't clear. Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer , No Communication with Instrument Cluster, Steering Column Control Module , No Communications with HVAC Control Module (J301) ja No Communication with Diagnostic Gateway.

Could it still be something else, then battery? My car has 51Ah battery, and few friends were bit suprice, that it is so small. There is no "low voltage" fault thou.

Thanks for advance.

Could be the battery, but I suspect the fault lies elsewhere. VCDS appears to be able to talk to all the modules, but for some reason several cannot talk to each other. All the codes listed above will 99% be caused by a single fault.

If the car was driving fine and then suddenly had issues, I would be checking  the cars electrical ground points to start with. I found some references to a relay known as terminal 15 on another forum, so maybe worth investigating.

1st you should charge the battery and check the fuses

Once done, if the fault is still there then the fault is with the gateway or the wiring

The drive CAN is showing as defective

This is what connects the modules that are having the communication (ECU ABS PDC)

Thanks for the replys- I got this sorted out atleast for now. I bought new 62Ah battery and changed it. I even got all codes cleared. Funny thou, that the Clear All Codes function didn't clear 01 Engine codes. Only when I went to that section, and cleared them from there, I got ridoff them. Now everything seems to be working.

After the battery change, ESP light was on, and tire pressure and traction control. Those went away, when I took a little spin.

The old battery was almost dead. The "eye" was all black. But for now, I am happy everything worked out well anyway.

Edited by jaegarmaisteri

I had pretty much the same problem some time back.... ultimately the battery supplied with the car (Straight out of the showroom) was a 51A/H which, after several years use finally gave up the ghost. When I went to price up a new one the guys (and gals) at Motorworld, Halfords, Quickfit, Formula1, ATS and a few other places all seemed surprised..... I now have a 64A/H (£75 inc VAT and 5 year guarantee from Motormania) and all seem fine!

My son's girlfriend had exactly this happen recently on her Polo, all warning lights on dash lit up but it kept running, self cleared on restart, then died in middle of nowhere en route to West Country late at night the next day. RAC guy diagnosed alternator failure,  battery doing its best to keep things running but the system gradually shutting down stuff to keep going until not enough left to run ignition.

Son fitted new alternator, been fine ever since. Only the airbag code left to clear.

May be worth checking that alternator is putting out enough excess voltage if battery dies again.

My new battery cost 79€ and I changed it myself, with a friend. It took about hour from start to finnish, since I had to clear the codes and check that everything works. Tomorrow I will run VCDS again to check, there is no faultcodes coming back.