Australian Yeti gets new 1.4 90Kw 122hp engine

Kenny R

grrrrrrrrr  :swear:  :'(  :'(  They dont do the 1.4 here in the UK & that is the version I wanted, but have had to make do with the 1.8 petrol  :D

Perhaps because it would fall into the wrong VED band in the UK?

Flintstone & Jerry will appreciate this comment, but it would make a brilliant Endurance Rally car!!

Possibly that the 1.2 is adequate power and wot not for our, UK, road structure. I have not been there, but I should imagine Aussys long, straight(er) road structure might require the larger mill.

grrrrrrrrr  :swear:  :'(  :'(  They dont do the 1.4 here in the UK & that is the version I wanted, but have had to make do with the 1.8 petrol  :D

And it makes do very well :)

So he obviously like me-too designs, suggesting the superseded model was 'ugly'.

Bah! Humbug! It's called character AFAIC.

Outdoor on-road for~£18K seems v good value for a euro machine out here. How does one cost OR in blighty?

I have just ordered a 1.2 DSG as the 1.4 isn't available.  I had the 1.4 in a Octavia with the DSG, cracking car, almost as quick as the 1.8 (which a colleague had).  The waiting is killing me...  :think:

Possibly that the 1.2 is adequate power and wot not for our, UK, road structure. I have not been there, but I should imagine Aussys long, straight(er) road structure might require the larger mill.

What - with their speed limits and enforcement?  But many Aussies like big engines, and are being weaned down gradually.  I'd have ordered a 1.4;  1.2 is no more than adequate, and I miss the low-end grunt of the old 1.9TDI in previous Fabia.  Presumably each country's importer chooses its model range and options... 

The new 1.4 TFSI in the Audi Q3 2wd (which is heavier than the Yeti) is 150PS, 137 g/km co2, which is VED band E.

38.2/56.5/47.9 mpg urban/extra urban/combined.

Max mph = 126, 0-62 = 9.2sec. 

Max torque = 250nm @ 1750 - 3000 rpm.

It's reverted to a cam belt due to some problems with the original chain drive in the smaller Skoda built VAG petrol engines.

This would have been be a good fit in the Yeti.

I am hoping to test drive this Q3 in the near future, as it might suit me better than the 1.2 Yeti.

As with other posts, I'd have preferred the 1.4 engine in the Yeti.

It seems to me, each country's priorities are what drive model choice.

Aussies love of POWERRR is fading rapidly with the loss of 'our' big engine manufacturers (LPG is in trouble). The V8 is dead.

Placarded fuel consumption is increasingly what drives sales here, and Europe, with your emission taxation policies also, plus the fact that unless you are a shift worker or live in a remote area, the roads are almost permanently crowded.

With so much choice in Oz (particularly Asian) cars are becoming 'white goods' as a result of increasingly short model cycles.

The Yeti does not represent another bland product thank goodness.

Supply and demand spring to mind. If orders of 1.2 engines fell off, then SUK would be looking at other engine choices too perhaps.