SKODA Octavia, the stunning Laurin & Klement (L&K), now for order.

ColinD

• Administrators

The premium flagship version of the all-new ŠKODA Octavia, the stunning Laurin & Klement (L&K), has been launched in the UK priced from just £26,570.

post-6-0-43027800-1399566688_thumb.jpg

Revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in March, the L&K brings ŠKODA’s most sophisticated levels of comfort and technology to the Octavia range for the first time.

It’s available in either hatch or estate body styles, with a choice of two engines.

They are the new 1.8-litre TSI 180PS petrol and the popular 2.0-litre TDI 150PS diesel. Either can be specified with a slick-shifting six-speed manual transmission or DSG automatic. A 4x4 diesel manual option is also available on the estate.

The Octavia L&K builds on the already generous equipment available on Elegance trim. It includes an exclusive and luxurious brown L&K interior, striking exterior features including bi-xenon headlights, and technology such as park assist and adaptive cruise control.

Standard equipment above Elegance includes:

• 18-inch Turbine alloy wheels

• Bi-xenon headlights with Adaptive Front Lights System)

• LED rear lights

• Chrome window surround

• Sunset glass (Estate only)

• Brown Alcantara and leather upholstery

• L&K cabin logos, stitching and door sill trims

• Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory function, lumbar support and heating

• Rear backrest release from boot

• Illuminated front and rear footwells

• Adaptive cruise control with Front Assistant

• Canton audio system

• Lane assist

• Park assist

• Cornering front fog lights

All standard equipment on the ŠKODA Octavia L&K is available for £4,100 more than the equivalent Elegance trim.

Prices start at £26,570 for 1.8-litre TSI 180PS hatch, while the equivalent Estate is £27,375.

The entry level diesel, the 2.0-litre TDI CR 150PS DPF hatch with CO2 emissions of just 106g/km, is £26,410.

This is the most appealing option for corporate customers because the BIK rate for 2014/15 is just 17%. 

The most expensive car in the range is the 2.0-litre TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF, which costs £28,665.

Thoughts?

Looks nice. Funny how the diesel version is cheaper than the petrol!

They are expensive ,  & the Diesel engine power is not particularly decent.

I would call it decent. It's not earth shattering by todays standards but certainly decent.

I'd even class mine as being decent in terms of power. How much do you need?

I guess but the sort of person buying these won't be bothered about 20bhp.

0-60 takes 8.3 seconds with a DSG in the new Octavia and a top speed of over 130mph is more than enough. It will still feel faster than it is too.

Comfort doesn't need earth shattering speed.

I've just read that the 184 bhp 2.0 TDI will also be available later on.

Will be interesting to see how well they sell.

Phil

If you are buying comfort & paying that sort of price the diesel should be closer to 170. - Just my Opinion.

Bare in mind that the 150ps mqb cars are as quick as the mk2 170 VRS. That's quick enough IMO. :)

Assuming the 180TSI gets Independent Rear Suspension as it exceeds the magic 150ps threshold, I assume the non 4x4 150CR retains the torsion beam set up that all UK non vRS and non 4x4 cars are spec'd with, hence the reason for the CR being cheaper than the TSI?

Edited by Matt Pez

Assuming the 180TSI gets Independent Rear Suspension as it exceeds the magic 150ps threshold, I assume the non 4x4 150CR retains the torsion beam set up that all UK non vRS and non 4x4 cars are spec'd with, hence the reason for the CR being cheaper than the TSI?

Thats exactly what Id expect. To me it would be more relevant to make sure all L&K's get the independant rear setup over the torsion setup for the comfort and refinement advantages, rather than 30ps of additional power. :)

• Like 1

As to the additional equipment above what the Elegance offers, I can think of better ways of spending the extra £4,100. 

I agree. I dont think this is the value offering it could be. Usually the flagship spec offers something like 4k of extras for just 2.5k cost increase. These options pretty much add up to what they are asking for the L&K and some may not want them all so not a great deal imo.

• Like 1

Nearly £29k :o for the top spec ! Surely overpriced? What could you buy for that kind of money from the other marques with more desirable badges on the bonnet ? With so much more refinement and comfort also

Yeah it's pretty pricey.

For that kind of money (give or take £2k):

Jaguar XF SE 2.2 diesel Auto

Mercedes C220 CDI SE BlueTec

Mercedes CLA C200 CDI AMG Sport

Audi A4 Black Edition 2.0 TDI

So they've priced it quite high when you could put another couple of grand towards it and get something that is seen to be more of a premium brand (badge snobs?)

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I once had a Felicia L&K. They used a special paint colour for it. It looked blue but depending which angle you looked at it from there was also green and purple in there. So funny colours on the L&K is nothing new.

Bring back the old way of doing an L&K I say. Take the standard car, nice paint colour, fancy wheels, leather seats, include all the options and you're done!

102_1042640x480.jpg

102_1044.jpg

Phil

I fell into the obvious trap DOH !  on the diesel its not the PS ( BHP) its the torque & the release notes does not give any figures

I was only slightly disappointed with my FL Octy vRS ( diesel ) as it had 250 lb /ft on a 170, compared to the same torque on my 130 Fabia vRS ( before remap), so the Octy felt  & probably was slower because of the additional weight & ( damn U )  EU regulations around emissions.

Certainly paying for a top of the range car, i would expect it to actually have some go in it.

I am not / will not be buying any MK3 Octy, or 4 or 5 etc as the current model will not fit in my garage & if the trend continues the mk4 will be bigger that 3, 5 bigger than 4 and so on, and so on.

I fell into the obvious trap DOH !  on the diesel its not the PS ( BHP) its the torque & the release notes does not give any figures

I was only slightly disappointed with my FL Octy vRS ( diesel ) as it had 250 lb /ft on a 170, compared to the same torque on my 130 Fabia vRS ( before remap), so the Octy felt  & probably was slower because of the additional weight & ( damn U )  EU regulations around emissions.

Certainly paying for a top of the range car, i would expect it to actually have some go in it.

I am not / will not be buying any MK3 Octy, or 4 or 5 etc as the current model will not fit in my garage & if the trend continues the mk4 will be bigger that 3, 5 bigger than 4 and so on, and so on.

Yeah should be at least 200bhp and 350lb/ft

I agree. I dont think this is the value offering it could be. Usually the flagship spec offers something like 4k of extras for just 2.5k cost increase. These options pretty much add up to what they are asking for the L&K and some may not want them all so not a great deal imo.

I agree. I would much rather be given the option to spec up an Elegance 180TSI 4x4 DSG Hatch and why on earth they don't allow sunset glass on a hatch is beyond me!

• Like 1

Lovely cars but NOT worth the RRP, as with the other new Skodas, unfortunate really, but then again Skoda have a large business customer base and aren't overly bothered about private sales.

Interestingly, the new L&K can be had on Drivethedeal for a little under £24k on standard 2.0CR spec but would I have this or a new A4 Black Edition for a few extra quid?.........a rehtorical question.

Well, Skoda are offering £1500 off the fl Superb with 0% finance too ATM, so wonder how long it will take to filter to the Octy. Tick tock.... patience is a virtue

Well, Skoda are offering £1500 off the fl Superb with 0% finance too ATM, so wonder how long it will take to filter to the Octy. Tick tock.... patience is a virtue

Through carfile.net, you can get 18% off a Superb or 14% off an Octy. I managed to negotiate the same discount direct with my dealer and I still got the SUK incentives on top of the deal which at the time was £500 deposit contribution and free servicing.

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty pricey.

For that kind of money (give or take £2k):

Jaguar XF SE 2.2 diesel Auto

Mercedes C220 CDI SE BlueTec

Mercedes CLA C200 CDI AMG Sport

Audi A4 Black Edition 2.0 TDI

So they've priced it quite high when you could put another couple of grand towards it and get something that is seen to be more of a premium brand (badge snobs?)

Phil

Not badge snobs at all. Its only a badge snob if the other car isnt really superior. However if we take the jag as an example, Im afraid that is far superior.

The SE may not have all the toys that the L&K has, but it has cruise control, electric seats, keyless start, dual zone climate control, bluetooth. Combine that with the interior, and you'd forgive the fact it may not have ACC or sat nav.

Sorry but if I could afford it, I seriously doubt id choose the L&K over the XF 2.2D SE. Ive yet to see a car with a nicer interior.

Not badge snobs at all. Its only a badge snob if the other car isnt really superior. However if we take the jag as an example, Im afraid that is far superior.

The SE may not have all the toys that the L&K has, but it has cruise control, electric seats, keyless start, dual zone climate control, bluetooth. Combine that with the interior, and you'd forgive the fact it may not have ACC or sat nav.

Sorry but if I could afford it, I seriously doubt id choose the L&K over the XF 2.2D SE. Ive yet to see a car with a nicer interior.

I guess not everyone would like a Jag though. 

Some people may prefer a Octavia sized car to something as big as an XF? 

• Like 1

I guess not everyone would like a Jag though. 

Some people may prefer a Octavia sized car to something as big as an XF? 

What, less car for same money :devil:

People not like a Jag. Just the thought sends me into a cold sweat

It's not the same money. The jag is £3.5k more with less spec.

Not saying it's not a nice car though, although some Jag styling features are starting to look a bit chavvy.

• Like 2