Fabia 1.6TDi CR Driving Advice

I've had my 2011 Elegance Diesel for a couple of months now. I love it. However, I think I have a tendency to drive it too gently. Driving home tonight (after crawling In traffic for nearly an hour) I noticed the engine revs rise to about 1K, and the oil temperature increase to about 104 degrees. Pretty sure it was the DPF regenerating.

I know that it's a good idea to occasionally give the engine "some welly" once the oil is up to temp, but what does that constitute in terms of rpm? So far I haven't taken it up above 3K...and even then only for very short periods.

Thanks.

From my experience all engines needs a good rev out from time to time. Don't be afraid to get up near the red line. The engine is designed to rev there so use it.

As long as you don't go over the red line and do it with a warmed up engine and then let it cool properly you will be fine.

It helps the turbo spin right up and clear anything out of the engine and exhaust.

Phil

• Like 1

Oh and what I mean by that is if possible a couple of fast starts reving out in each gear till you get up to speed is good.

Slip roads are good places for this in 2nd or 3rd gear depending on speed and floor it and don't change up till just before the red line.

Driving a new engine too gently can cause more damage than good.

Phil

When we collected our 1.6TDI Octavia, there were  about 12 to 15 miles of urban and speed-limited roads before the MI, to get the  engine oil up to temp.

She got the rest of the run home, mostly on Motorway, or at higher Motorway speeds.

I let the DSG worry about the changes.

From thence forward the car simply got "driven".

But I mostly drive with a light right foot, which is not to say that I do not drive fast.

At virtually 60,000, the engine uses "no" oil, that is to say I only add the merest dribble between 18,500 mile services to keep it up on the dipstick.

So basically dont overthink it!

m

Edited by dieseldogg
  • Like 1

When we collected our 1.6TDI Octavia, there were  about 12 to 15 miles of urban and speed-limited roads before the MI, to get the  engine oil up to temp.

She got the rest of the run home, mostly on Motorway, or at higher Motorway speeds.

I let the DSG worry about the changes.

From thence forward the car simply got "driven".

But I mostly drive with a light right foot, which is not to say that I do not drive fast.

At virtually 60,000, the engine uses "no" oil, that is to say I only add the merest dribble between 18,500 mile services to keep it up on the dipstick.

So basically dont overthink it!

m

Yeah I guess that's the difference with a DSG. In D it gives you no choice of where it revs to. If you floor the throttle it will rev right out. I say that if it's happy to do it then let it :)

We had an Ibiza FR 1.6 CR 105 for several weeks while ours was being fixed. I found that it did like to be revved. None of this low down lump of torque of the PD engines then nothing.

Phil

The CR doesn't like to potter about too much - sure, you can snick it up a gear at 2000rpm or below, but it feels laboured and I always have to really TRY to do that.  I don't drive around like a lunatic, but accelerating onto A-roads, onto busy roads from junctions etc seems to give it enough beans to clear itself - I haven't had a forced regen since the first week and haven't smelt the burning rubber smell for ages - so it must be coping without special treatment.

Wor DSG changed up early, just like I used to manually, but then the "learned" behavouir would have been based on my light throttle inputs.

Anyway I see no reason for revving an engine unnecessarily.

To do good, in respect of bedding in, surely the key lies in the engine "working" under load, with commensurately increased revs. 

I did, early days, just for the joy of it "let her rip", using "kick-down"  when returning home at lunchtime, on a good flat clear "A" road.

Using "bedding in" as an excuse to myself.

But when anywhere near approaching "V" max, the DSG regardless of kickdown or sport settings was always in 6th or 7th, as I recall leastwise.

regards,

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg