How to fit outside door handle LED lights

Hey..

Now we all like a bit of bling... it seems the Germans cottoned on to this, from around about 2002 (namely on the 7 series BMW's) when they started to shine light from the outside handles to stop you stepping into large puddles. Or dog dirt in the dark.. which ever suffices.

655A5650-0F68-45CC-991A-FB65DE001084_zps

They look good, if a little bright. Still.. time for something similar on the Fabia.

I attempted this before on my old E39 5 series 530d Sport, with some success. Different handles though, and it required drilling into the handle recess. It never looked perfect, but was good practice.

SO... here are the LEDS... bought from here, in 6mm form, bright white..with no lens

http://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

So lets get to work.

The drivers side has a door lock. Now the LED bolt is a little too fat to fit in the door lock, I may attempt this at a later date but for now, you'll have to delock your car and replace the lock with a door blank. You can buy one off ebay (if you're lucky that someone is breaking a Fabia, Golf Mk4, Ibiza, Octavia etc etc.) in your car colour.

Drivers door lock...

IMAG0189_zpszrlzmfga.jpg

Passenger door blank... (ignore the little washer)

IMAG0198_zpsptrncmni.jpg

And the LED bolt which will be fitting inside....

IMAG0197_zpsckb6qu71.jpg

Time to undo the blank. Take out the plastic grommets and reveal the 2 M20 screws. On the drivers side, you need to loosen to top a few turns but don't remove it (or it will fall into the door behind the carrier). Then loosen the bottom one as far as it will go. Then, the door lock will lose enough to just pull out. Don't take off the door handle, there's no need to.

On the passenger side, the top screw isn't there, but the bottom one just needs unscrewing until it can't go any further (don't worry, it cannot fall into the door). Then pull out the door blank.

IMAG0195_zpstbwv1il4.jpg

Take the door blank, and pull it apart like so...

IMAG0201_zpszvireyyy.jpg

Get yourself a selection of small drill bits.... A workbench is handy (or vice).

IMAG0205_zps6ffiu9ll.jpg

After you get going, you'll get the the stage of drilling to about this size...

IMAG0209_zpsykdoewnq.jpg

start with the smallest drill bit, 2 mm size is best. Move up to 4mm when you've drilled right through, be gentle, take your time and don't rush. If you go using your biggest drill bit, youre more likely to **** it up, and drill the hole in the wrong place or too near the edge. There's no room for error whatsoever. You have been warned on this!

Keep checking to see if the hole is big enough, remember it can't be huge otherwise the LED bolt will slip right through the hole youre making. The LED has a lip to ensure it doesnt slip though..

IMAG0206_zpsv9wgaxo9.jpg

Test your LED with a 9v battery.

IMAG0200_zpskuscqh9d.jpg

Start to fit it in snugly... it comes with a screw washer, however the washer will NOT fit in the drilled hole. Its too tight.

IMAG0212_zpsaa9kawqi.jpg

Glue works pretty good,

IMAG0213_zpsn0n5jf5m.jpg

Off to the car, after your glue has dried.

Take off your door card... There's a guide on here for removing door handles. However, just do the following...

Pop this trim off with a small flat blade and remove this torq screw..

IMAG0185_zpskwa4sf2e.jpg

Pull off the panel that houses the electric windows switch using a flat blade in 3 places, be careful and patient. Then slide off the armrest bit. Then undo the three philips screws...

IMAG0184_zpsagvsh8wa.jpg

Then get to the bottom of the door. There three little Torq screws to remove....

IMAG0186_zpsdp91hdsl.jpg

Then begin to pull away the door card from nearest the hinge. It will come away easiest that way. You'll end up breaking door card clips in the process, they are little green b&*%$rds so you will need a few spare for when you re-fit the door card. Also, pop off the electric connectors to the mirrors and electric windows.. Then carefully lift away the door handle inner cable out of its lug hole.

Then finally unclip the inner puddle light out of its housing, and the LED door nick blink light (that blinks on the drivers side when the car is armed closed). All simple enough, use common sense and dont tug at these connectors. You'll need a flat blade to slide the connectors away.

Then voila...

IMAG0187_zpsz8rbbsdp.jpg

You might be lucky and see that you've suddenly got upgraded speakers (mine are Alpine) with a Crossover box! SOmething tells me I need to change my headunit very soon and fill my rear shelf with 6 x 9's!

Back to the door blank fitting.

Disconnect your battery... otherwise you may blow a fuse.

Tie the end of the LED cable to a steel rod / straightened coat hanger, as you'll need to poke it through to this hole below. It's best positioned here to save messing around with drilling holes etc... Lazy, I know!

IMAG0215_zpsdnta6es1.jpg

When its through, pop the blank in the door. Don't worry about the wire, it will hang a little loose inside the carrier as it passes through the door. It shouldnt snag on the bowden cable that connects to the outer handle, careful where you position it. Tighten up the M20 screw so the door blank is back in situ safely.

Tap into the interior puddle light by snipping the wires. Connect the red wire to red, black wire to the brown. You can choose to fudge it by twisting the wires together and insulate tape them, or properly use wire connectors. The latter is better of course.

IMAG0217_zpsra2fnvds.jpg

You need to do a neat job, be careful. Refit everything in reverse, make sure you clip back in the door handle cable in the guide when you insert into the lug. Or your door handle wont operate.

Connect your battery and marvel in the twinkling light.

IMAG0219_zpsecuwkhht.jpg

IMAG0151_zpsqbglw7p4.jpg

Enjoy..!

Edited by fabialousvrs
  • Like 3