Just bought one. A couple gripes.....

First of all, what a great little car! Handles brilliantly, pulls like an absolute train, comfy enough, nice and simple.

It does have a couple issues with this particular one though.

There's a grumbling rattle coming from what feels like the underside of the engine. Especially under hard exeleration. Is this the duel mass fly wheel on its way out?

The original boot carpet has been replaced with some ill fitting, dark black rubbish. Where can I get a good genuine at sensible money?

The gear stick has a lot of wear on the plastic. Is £22 really the best deal you can get on a replacement?

It's had an after market exhaust. I don't think it suits the car as well as the original. What do you suggest as far as exhausts go?

Also it has an after market cone filter. What is the most suitable breathing kit for these?

Any other tips would be great.

First of all, what a great little car! Handles brilliantly, pulls like an absolute train, comfy enough, nice and simple.

It does have a couple issues with this particular one though.

There's a grumbling rattle coming from what feels like the underside of the engine. Especially under hard exeleration. Is this the duel mass fly wheel on its way out?  SOUNDS LIKE IT :(

The original boot carpet has been replaced with some ill fitting, dark black rubbish. Where can I get a good genuine at sensible money? BREAKERS YARD

The gear stick has a lot of wear on the plastic. Is £22 really the best deal you can get on a replacement?  QUITE LIKELY, AT LEAST NEW FROM DEALER ESPECIALLY

It's had an after market exhaust. I don't think it suits the car as well as the original. What do you suggest as far as exhausts go?  OEM TO BE HONEST, WITH DECAT.

Also it has an after market cone filter. What is the most suitable breathing kit for these? OEM AIRBOX IS FINE

Any other tips would be great.

See above. :)

PS: If you're in Devon you might want to nip over to Exmouth for ideas used on my Fabia. ;)

• Like 1

Assuming it's a vrs...

Don't drive it under hard acceleration too often, be sympathetic to ensure camshaft longivity. Rumbles could be dual mass flywheel, normally heard on tickover with an accompanying engine rock if the dogbone or engine bushes are worn.

Rumbles can be fatal (bottom end), you'd need to be a bit clearer or post a video.

With regards air filter... Go back to standard. You'll gain nothing really on a diesel with a k and n cone. In fact you've more chance of making your maf dirty with oil residue from these types of filter. Stay with paper types imo.

• Like 1

My flywheel on my vrs has been whinnying for the past 3 1/2 years, gradually getting worse, n I mean gradually, some days worse than other, sometimes nothing, if it's your flywheel when ur take your foot off ur clutch is there any spinning, whinning noise, put ur foot on it, the noise goes away, if this is the case it's ur flywheel, I wud,nt worry, start gathering money up as I did waiting on it going, still waiting over 3 years later, my bro had the same prob with his bora sport, the vibration threw his clutch pedal was unbelievable, got another year and done the convert, if this is ur case don't go throwing money at it until it falls out, that's it, ul do no damage,2 gearbox etc, just up 2 you wether you can listen to it, hope this helps bud, I panicked when I heard this noise if it's the same, 3 years later, i think I cud get another 3 no prop , gud luck, but don't go out running for a cluth just yet, all the best

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

My flywheel on my vrs has been whinnying for the past 3 1/2 years, gradually getting worse, n I mean gradually, some days worse than other, sometimes nothing, if it's your flywheel when ur take your foot off ur clutch is there any spinning, whinning noise, put ur foot on it, the noise goes away, if this is the case it's ur flywheel, I wud,nt worry, start gathering money up as I did waiting on it going, still waiting over 3 years later, my bro had the same prob with his bora sport, the vibration threw his clutch pedal was unbelievable, got another year and done the convert, if this is ur case don't go throwing money at it until it falls out, that's it, ul do no damage,2 gearbox etc, just up 2 you wether you can listen to it, hope this helps bud, I panicked when I heard this noise if it's the same, 3 years later, i think I cud get another 3 no prop , gud luck, but don't go out running for a cluth just yet, all the best

My fabia vrs did that too!

It did it for 2 years and 20k miles.

Until one day i changed 3rd to 4th and the gearbox disintegrated.

So i needed new clutch / flywheel / gearbox

They can last a while but just be aware it is a ticking time bomb.

Cost of my repairs

£880 helix and smf

£450 2nd hand gearbox

Then fitting

Hope I don't get that bill Jamie, I know she cud fall to the floor any day, but from my expieriance, not a macanic, just advice and opinion, just wait til she falls, how,d ur gearbox go threw this any signs bud, I hav been told to drive until it goes, if I think I was doing the box damage, I'd park her up, nearly 4 years and my bro stretched it till the max, had u any other things u came across, rather a clutch than both, to me, it noisier wen it's cold or I've drove for a gud bit, maybe 100 mile straight run

When's it's warm and cold, it seems to whine, to b honest it has,nt whined for me to notice over the past month r so, tomorrow it will fall whine, suppose its how you drive it, Intrested in the box replacement tho pal

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Hope I don't get that bill Jamie, I know she cud fall to the floor any day, but from my expieriance, not a macanic, just advice and opinion, just wait til she falls, how,d ur gearbox go threw this any signs bud, I hav been told to drive until it goes, if I think I was doing the box damage, I'd park her up, nearly 4 years and my bro stretched it till the max, had u any other things u came across, rather a clutch than both, to me, it noisier wen it's cold or I've drove for a gud bit, maybe 100 mile straight run

No signs

Im guessing the vibes off the knackered flywheel eventually rattled the box to pieces

Car was on 70k miles. The main shaft popped clean out the end of the gearbox

A whine from the box is usually the layshaft bearing (apparently)

Sorry jase, mines is flywheel I hope, it's been whinning that long, I've got my wear n tear, had it 7 years 95 k at min, been gd 2 me, gearbox is fine bud, ur on a duel n not solid?

Guest BigJase88

Sorry jase, mines is flywheel I hope, it's been whinning that long, I've got my wear n tear, had it 7 years 95 k at min, been gd 2 me, gearbox is fine bud, ur on a duel n not solid?

It was the Dual mass flywheel that went on mine. Did it take the gearbox with it after 20k of ratlles? Or was the gearbox going to fail anyway and its was just coincidence. That i will never know.

I fitted a 2nd hand gearbox and uprated the clutch to a Helix Organic one and i changed the Dual mass flywheel for a single mass unit as i didn't want the expense of a dual mass flywheel possibly going again in the future