Overcharging alternator

My alternator has been overcharging my battery recently so since have discovered this problem i have stopped driving it.

Upon inspeoction Ive found a the fuse box on top of the battery has become very hot and melted some of the plastic around it :sweat:

Upon doing some googling, you can replace the regulator on the alternator but Im having trouble finding a genuine new part.

I have a valeo alternator product code 030903023j

Is this a viable change do you think or should i just do the full alternator, just not sure its worth changing the whole thing if all thats wrong is the regulator.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

My alternator has been overcharging my battery recently so since have discovered this problem i have stopped driving it.

Upon inspeoction Ive found a the fuse box on top of the battery has become very hot and melted some of the plastic around it :sweat:

Upon doing some googling, you can replace the regulator on the alternator but Im having trouble finding a genuine new part.

I have a valeo alternator product code 030903023j

Is this a viable change do you think or should i just do the full alternator, just not sure its worth changing the whole thing if all thats wrong is the regulator.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

This is usually caused by a poor crimp connection on the cable from the alternator to the fuse box, which causes the fuse box to melt.

• Like 1

you need a new regulator,and that's it

Replacing whole alternator just for that,is like repainting the car instead of washing it

I understand that, but I don't know where to get one. Do you know any reputable suppliers that aren't primarily based on ebay?

This is usually caused by a poor crimp connection on the cable from the alternator to the fuse box, which causes the fuse box to melt.

I shall check this also, thanks very much

erm id inest in a alternator cable too

Do you know the part number?

As with Paul, I would initially check the crimp connections on the alternator cable before looking for other failed components, or have you had the alternator checked and confirmed that is overcharging?

the corroded cable will bring you lower charging not higher....is impossible

Gtiracer,tommorow I'll look for an regulator for your alternator,I work on auto parts field and I can acces different catalogues,but only on my work computer

Edited by IulianE

the corroded cable will bring you lower charging not higher....is impossible

Gtiracer,tommorow I'll look for an regulator for your alternator,I work on auto parts field and I can acces different catalogues,but only on my work computer

Thanks, appreciate it. I have had a brief look at connections as a matter of course and everything seems pretty good aside from the obvious melting

buy a new alternator and cable and new fuse box and you should be ok 

I hope so, just trying to find a the wiring loom for the alternator and not to get raped by skoda for the price of one.

Well, this is what I did to fix the melting fuse box.

http://diy-vag-20vt.blogspot.gr/2014/01/atoma-1-60-16-k-10-13-4-2-4-gauge-4-awg.html?m=1

I have also changed the regulator with a bosch one, I can post a pic of the box if you want, we might probably have the same alternator...

Sent from Tapatalk

• Like 1

So Gtiracer have you actually put a meter on the Alternator, or are assuming that because your fusebox is showing signs of melting it's being caused by over charging?

• Like 2

have you had the alternator checked and confirmed that is overcharging?

So Gtiracer have you actually put a meter on the Alternator, or are assuming that because your fusebox is showing signs of melting it's being caused by over charging?

What would we know, hey Paul ;-)  Not as if virtually every melted fuse box is caused by a failing crimp on the alternator cable....

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, I don;t know specifically it is the alternator failing. but i have to fix the car in a hurry (long trip next weekend) and can't get it to a garage. So by replacing the alternator regulator / wiring / fusebox Im pretty much covering all bases and hoping to keep this car as reliable as possible because I like to look after it and keep it as original as possible.

The link posted above by OCTAVIA 4x4 is very helpful though, thanks

Thanks to all for the help. I have had the alternator off today and replaced the regulator. The old one looks pretty knackered to be honest. Cables look fine so just going to replace fuse box and be done with it.

Hopefully that should be problem sorted

Cables look fine so just going to replace fuse box and be done with it.

Did you check the resistance of the alternator cable?  If not, I fear you may need to buy another fuse box :-(

+1, my neighbour had this happen on his octy, didn't  check the cable properly, fitted a new fuse box that lasted ....................... 35 days.

I know it is a pain and these parts are not cheap, but it is even dearer when you have to do the job twice.

• Like 1