'Don't call it a recall' underway on 1.2Tsi DSG's

kibby

Noticed dealers are quietly changing gearbox oil to 'mineral' on 1.2 Tsi DSG's to overcome the widely reported worldwide problem with the box electronics.

Not an official recall but will be done when it is next in for attention/servicing. Just a 'quiet recall' by another name, so not to swamp the dealer network.

I will get the timing belt/tensioner checked at same time as getting concerned about long term reliability.

With the niggling issues we have had I may consider alternatives when change time arrives, although

not easy to match Yeti spec.                               

I assume the oil will have to be changed on a more regular basis with it being mineral? Not simple to

change without a special tool.

Edited by kibby

Thanks for this kibby. It answers my concerns re the occasional judder between 1st and 2nd gear. I will be booking in to get this sorted. I am 2 months out of warranty and hope that Skoda would sort this free of charge, especially as timing chain and tensioners needed replacing just before my warranty ran out. I really like my yeti, its the best car I have ever owned but my confidence in the reliability of this car is being tested a little too much.

Thanks for this kibby. It answers my concerns re the occasional judder between 1st and 2nd gear. I will be booking in to get this sorted. I am 2 months out of warranty and hope that Skoda would sort this free of charge, especially as timing chain and tensioners needed replacing just before my warranty ran out. I really like my yeti, its the best car I have ever owned but my confidence in the reliability of this car is being tested a little too much.

Don't hold your breath on Goodwill claim,as some Fabia vRS Owners have experienced with their engine issue. 

They to are now having DSG issue experiences -" Soft Recall" oil changes!

Too many of the basics have caused problems for us to be happy bunnies.

Still have the judder out of warranty with no resolution from dealer or Skoda uk (was raised while warranty in operation).

Feels like waiting for.....but better not tempt providence!!

Computer say 'no fault' so tough!!!

Has put us off doing a repeat purchase and still looking for other options even if we pay more.

• Like 2

Totally agree. I think the yeti is a great car, BUT in 15 months of ownership rear parking sensor failed, then the front parking sensor failed, then cam chain started to rattle on cold start and got progressively worse needing chain and tensioners replacing with less than 10k on the clock. Now with only 12k the day box problem. This car is not the car I intend to keep for up to 10 years as originally planned. It's not even a car I intend to keep for the next few months. I am now looking to replace. Very disappointed.

• Like 1

Totally agree. I think the yeti is a great car, BUT in 15 months of ownership rear parking sensor failed, then the front parking sensor failed, then cam chain started to rattle on cold start and got progressively worse needing chain and tensioners replacing with less than 10k on the clock. Now with only 12k the day box problem. This car is not the car I intend to keep for up to 10 years as originally planned. It's not even a car I intend to keep for the next few months. I am now looking to replace. Very disappointed.

You can always fill in next years owners survey!

I will vrskeith, sorry for the rant. I like Skoda cars, but in my case I think some constructive feedback is needed. In my last post I meant dsg box not day box! Oops.

• Like 1

Totally agree with VRSKeith. Over the past 10 months my yeti has been off the road for 2 months. The latest incident took 6 weeks to fix (Clutch, Fly Wheel, and Gearbox replaced). When I approached Skoda to extend the warranty for 2 years, I got the sort of response that Ford would have given in the 1970's. I had intended to keep the car for 5 years but I've now  lost confidence in Skoda.

I am in the process of writing to Martin Winterkorn (VAG CEO) to express my disappointment with Skoda aftersales and Customer care.

Such a nice car to drive - what a shame.