Lane assist is dangerous

I have previously commented on lane assist being a problem but this morning it came very close to causing an accident.

I was following a friend and neighbour on the first part of our respective journeys to work. The road is subject to a 60mph limit. I was doing just on 40. He turns right and pulls into the right turn lane provided so there is plenty of room to pass on the nearside. As I knew it was safe - Bob is an excellent driver - I continued at around 40 when the car suddenly steered right - presumably thinking it was too close to the nearside kerb - and came within inches of an expensive osf Skoda Kamiq/nsr BMW X5 collision.

OK, it can be switched off for every journey but why not have the option to switch it off unless really wanted - maybe for long motorway/dual carriageway journeys?

I have only done about 500 miles in my new Kamiq and although in general I like the car I find the supposed safety systems range from annoying to downright dangerous. I consider the lane assist an irritant and switch it off on every journey however this morning I experienced a scary and dangerous incident involving the collision avoidance/ frontal assist.

Iwas travelling in a30 mph zone in our small town and the road was reasonably quiet when I saw a car approximately sixty yards in front of me onto our road. No problem the driver had plenty of time to make the manoeuvre and I was doing less than 30. However almost instantaneously a car drew up to a give way from a side road immediately to my near side and stopped in accordance with the give way markings. The emergency braking system in my car activated and more or less brought my car to an emergency stop. If anyone was on my tail it would almost certainly have resulted in a collision. 

I was so surprised at what had occurred it took me a while to fathom that it must have activated due to to the car pulling up to to the give way junction on my near side. I would stress that the other driver complied with the give way, came to a halt and did nothing wrong. Anyway I'm losing a bit of confidence in the car due to the supposed safety systems

• Like 1

Having driven since 1972 and holding a number of advanced driving qualifications - I was a Senior Driving Examiner with DSA and a trainer at the Cardington facility - I have never felt it necessary for my car to take action for me. I want to be in control of my own destiny.

Trouble is with this, you're unlikely to get many contributions from people saying e.g.

"I was busy on my mobile whatsapping a hilarious youtube link to my mate Dave when the XYZ safety system cut in and definitely prevented me crashing head-on with a car coming the other way. You should have seen the other driver's face, he looked terrified LOL" … "Great safety systems in these cars, innit".

And yet those 'saves' might outnumber the false triggers by 100-1 for all we know.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Wino said:

Trouble is with this, you're unlikely to get many contributions from people saying e.g.

"I was busy on my mobile whatsapping a hilarious youtube link to my mate Dave when the XYZ safety system cut in and definitely prevented me crashing head-on with a car coming the other way. You should have seen the other driver's face, he looked terrified LOL" … "Great safety systems in these cars, innit".

And yet those 'saves' might outnumber the false triggers by 100-1 for all we know.

Yeah it's a good point...maybe didn't express myself well. I agree that safety features are a great innovation and outweigh any minor irritation however my situation with the front radar assist should never occur and suggests the system isn't set correctly 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wino said:

Trouble is with this, you're unlikely to get many contributions from people saying (snip)

It would be interesting to know how many people who have actually experienced an activation found it useful.

It (lane assist) scared me to death the first time it activated on me and each time it has done so in the last 10 months, the car had 'misread' the road surface and got it wrong.

Sure safety features are good but they must be reliable and accurate, imagine for instance if air bags misread a bump in the road and went off 'willy nilly'.

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

I wonder if something is recorded in the relevant electronic control unit when these events happen? Probably.

Possibly...will contact the dealer and inquire. I m thinking there's a problem with the scope and settings of the front assist....cheers 

1 hour ago, ayrshiredude said:

Wondering if it can be turned off via OBD software like Carista or OBD11?  Not got mine yet so can't try it.

No not as yet it’s a safety feature it’s the only way skoda got 5star ncap 

Hi

I have a Scala (almost the same car  but not on stilts) same problem with lane control it's a must turn off every time I get in the car along with stop start , software updates, and other senseless notifications. 

I have tried Carista no joy in turning off stop start or lane control and precious little else that you can't do anyway.  

I get a blank screen for up to 30 seconds every 2 or 3 engine starts the dealers says you need patience so every thing works correctly, no good when you want to reverse out of the drive with reversing camera not working until the screen comes back on.  They say they will get in touch with Skoda to log it as a fault.

If we get a bad trade deal off the EU it will endeavour to never buy another EU built car again. 

With the trade deal with Japan signed hopefully the prices should be competitive. 

It is the one thing I like missing from my old Octavia................ too much unnecessary 'technology'.

If I get stuck in traffic I can turn my ignition off, and I like to stay awake and paying attention, reading the road whilst driving. I find it helps..........

• Like 4

I suspect this is not just a Skoda issue.  A friend of mine's parents have bought a new BMW X5 (Ithink) and they are having the same issue, a rather violent jerk when it thinks they are going over a lane.  I'm wondering if it's just the way it's meant to work.  Obviously when it mistakes other things for lines that is where it causes problems.

• Like 1

It is meant to work to help keep you in lane, but as other manufacturers can do that without a violent jerk then no it is not the way it is meant to work.

People reviewing the new VW ID.3 are complaining and telling how it takes 3 buttons to turn it off with them.

My Corsa has Lane Assist and one press of a button puts it off without an extended push, i leave it on as it is damn good even on narrow back  roads.

'It is a momentary push with a PSA vehicle.'

See what he says.  @ 3 minutes.   VW will need to address the Active Lane Assist.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bill65 said:

I have only done about 500 miles in my new Kamiq and although in general I like the car I find the supposed safety systems range from annoying to downright dangerous. I consider the lane assist an irritant and switch it off on every journey however this morning I experienced a scary and dangerous incident involving the collision avoidance/ frontal assist.

Iwas travelling in a30 mph zone in our small town and the road was reasonably quiet when I saw a car approximately sixty yards in front of me onto our road. No problem the driver had plenty of time to make the manoeuvre and I was doing less than 30. However almost instantaneously a car drew up to a give way from a side road immediately to my near side and stopped in accordance with the give way markings. The emergency braking system in my car activated and more or less brought my car to an emergency stop. If anyone was on my tail it would almost certainly have resulted in a collision. 

I was so surprised at what had occurred it took me a while to fathom that it must have activated due to to the car pulling up to to the give way junction on my near side. I would stress that the other driver complied with the give way, came to a halt and did nothing wrong. Anyway I'm losing a bit of confidence in the car due to the supposed safety systems

You need to set your brake timing in settings it’s probably set to early set to late mine was doing it if a car turned left in front of me so set brake assist to late 

Edited by skoda1982

1 hour ago, skoda1982 said:

You need to set your brake timing in settings it’s probably set to early set to late mine was doing it if a car turned left in front of me so set brake assist to late 

Thanks I will try this

I drive cars with some pleasure. I work as an insurance broker. I do not expect to become a computer programmer just so that I can drive safely to work.

2 hours ago, RodTucker said:

I drive cars with some pleasure. I work as an insurance broker. I do not expect to become a computer programmer just so that I can drive safely to work.

Unfortunately as cars adopt more and more tech this is what we will need to do going forward.   Some of the issues are not really the car's fault but technophobes who don't understand modern tech.  I have an elderly neighbour who can never work anyting and even the car radio gets her.  However, as I said in another posting, If manufatureres are going to make cars with more tech then they need to be easy and intuative to operate.  Some of the things seem to be just plain complicated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ayrshiredude said:

(snip)Some of the issues are not really the car's fault but technophobes who don't understand modern tech.(snip)

So, have you experienced lane assist intervening whilst you were driving? I'm certainly not a technophobe, just someone who doesn't like it when the car veers from my intended course after it has misinterpreted the road surface.

I did during the test drive as I haven't got the car yet.  It was rather violent and the first couple of times took me by surprise.  However it can be turned off.  The fact that this is not a 1 button press, I believe is EU regulations rather than Skoda being dificult.  I suspect if there are enough complaints about it then they will need to do something about it.  From what I have read on here it is a serious issue.  Though, as Previously mentioned, I know of other people with different, non VAG, cars who aslo hate it.  So it might be with us to stay :(

17 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

Some of the things seem to be just plain complicated.

Things like using stupid symbols where a simple word would do very nicely to explain what it did / was.

Some of these symbols make no sense in relation to what they are for, to me at all.

We've got Lane assist in her 2019 Golf, but it can be permanently switched off in the Menu settings on the infotainment screen, that was my first thing to do on the journey home from the dealers !  Shame that VAG have seemingly gone away from that. It's going to be those Europeans to blame.....

:blink:

Edited by Phil245
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

We've got Lane assist in her 2019 Golf, but it can be permanently switched off in the Menu settings on the infotainment screen, that was my first thing to do on the journey home from the dealers !  Shame that VAG have seemingly gone away from that. It's going to be those Europeans to blame.....

:blink:

Perhaps when we come out of the EU at the end of the year we'll be able to turn it off permantantly :cool:

23 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Phil245

Have you not noticed that the UK is out of the EU already and in a transition period but not out of Europe..

Maybe you can tell us when you find UK built cars for UK driving on UK roads that do not have to be built to be exported or driven in other countries.

But Car manufacturers make cars for all different markets and have different features for those different markets.  The ability to turn off a freature is only a software change.  I Wonder if a car sold in say Australia, has the same issues as we have in Europe?