Mk1 vRS up in price?

Bought mine a month ago:

2005/05 Octavia vRS Mk1 Estate in red, 126,000 miles.

Paid £2200 as it has had cambelt, water pump, tensioner, clutch and DMF very recently, so I figure most of the expensive stuff has been done by someone else.

Lovely thing to drive - even the Mrs loves it.

Weird that it has a cruise control stalk but no cruise control though...

Have you checked brake light operation ? If not working may be a faulty switch on the brake pedal causing cruise control not to work.

Have you checked brake light operation ? If not working may be a faulty switch on the brake pedal causing cruise control not to work.

Good advice, thanks group1rs. I "think" the brake lights work but I'll check at the weekend.

My suspicion is it's one of the cases I've read about on here, where someone has begun to install cruise control and not wired it up.

BTW, I was down your way a couple of weeks ago for the Masters Historics @ Brands - first outing in the new car!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling the same as everyone else.

Bought mine in 2005.  This year it's 9 years old an had no major expensive issues.

Small niggles here an there, but nothing costly.

It's been running on LPG for 4 years.

I've got no idea what I would replace it with.  The car cost me about 14k new because the mkII was just out and I was buying the old model.

If I wanted a similarly sized and spec'd car new now, I'd need to spend 22k.  Crazy!

It's the same with any car. There comes a stage where the demand outweighs the supply. Finding older cars in good condition is becoming almost an artform! 

My 2004 Mk1 vRS is on about 112k with a few niggles that need sorting but I have it advertised at a reasonable £1995. Suppose there is a buyer out there for every car at virtually any price but it's down to whether the seller needs shut quickly or whether they can hold out for the right price. 

• 6 years later...

Picking up this trail from years ago as am interested on latest thinking.

I have a 2001 MK1 vrs, genuine 74500 mileage (I know as I've had it from new). Everyone says excellent condition, regularly serviced, belt changed and wheels refurbished last year. 

Any thoughts on potential for it to appreciate in value in the future?

OH and I both still love it, it's a go-cart drive compared to the 2015 version we also own but I'm starting to think it's costing us a lot in tax etc for nostalgia

Thoughts?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ABvRS said:

I have a 2001 MK1 vrs, genuine 74500 mileage (I know as I've had it from new). Everyone says excellent condition, regularly serviced, belt changed and wheels refurbished last year. 

OH and I both still love it, it's a go-cart drive compared to the 2015 version we also own but I'm starting to think it's costing us a lot in tax etc for nostalgia

Thoughts?

I think it really does depend on the person. A genuine and well looked after MK1 VRS, with low owners and proof of full service history will fetch around £2000.

I completely agree about the TAX on these though, hence with my two they're off and declared SORN as they don't get used much as I have a L&K daily diesel. However, I am keeping mine for both nostalgia and the fact that they're or will start getting rarer. Far to often I'm seeing them being broken for spares which is a real shame, so that will no doubt push the price up once these hit 20/25 years (for the later models).

So, you've got to weigh it up, car for life and keep it. Or, sell it and move on? It will depend on how much you care for it.

Theres one with 68k for 5k on ebay.

The prices are on the up.

On 16/09/2020 at 13:28, ABvRS said:

Thoughts?

I would have thought 3k+ to the right buyer.

On 16/09/2020 at 13:28, ABvRS said:

Thoughts?

Well I don't think you'll lose any money on it. Some other cars like Clio 172/182s and Civic Type Rs have been going up in value the last couple of years. I don't think the market for the mk1 VRS is a strong as it is for those, but I wouldn't bet against good ones going up in value a bit.

Edit: Let me know if you decide to sell it ;)

Edited by petrolbloke