Advice/Opinion needed - Mk1 Octavia VRS on Autotrader

Hi everybody, hope you're all well!  Hopefully I've posted this in the correct area.

It's been a while since I posted on the forum - I planned on buying a Mk1 last year but it didn't happen.

Now my daily has be classed as dead (rust etc), I NEED a Mk1 in my life.

Now, I've seen this one on Autotrader - it looks VERY clean and I'm going to ring them tomorrow about going to see it.

http://bit.ly/1mZ4sLj (short link to the Autotrader advert)

As far as I can tell it's super low mileage and really clean - but the only thing I can kind of spot in the photos is a slightly 'drooping' backbox.

Let me know your thoughts/opinions please - have any of you dealt with PCD Auto Sales before?

Many thanks in advance!

if and when u fo look look under the bonnet look at the y piece hose they tend to split

OK cool!  I've also looked at the buying guide on here - I'll print that and take it with me!

I see there are none of the original footmats in there,  with cream carpets you'll want to be getting some no matter how careful you think you might be.  And then offer him 3k! 

Looks nice though,  seems a lot to me but I'm not an expert,  I paid 1300 for mine on an 03 plate and 96k, black estate in pretty good nic.  All of which is different to this obviously.  There is a really good guide pinned on this forum which I printed off and checked over every car I went to view.  Couldn't be any more useful! 

Dan

if and when u fo look look under the bonnet look at the y piece hose they tend to split

You'll need to take off the engine cover... Don't forget a screwdriver... Or something similar 

I see there are none of the original footmats in there,  with cream carpets you'll want to be getting some no matter how careful you think you might be.  And then offer him 3k! 

Looks nice though,  seems a lot to me but I'm not an expert,  I paid 1300 for mine on an 03 plate and 96k, black estate in pretty good nic.  All of which is different to this obviously.  There is a really good guide pinned on this forum which I printed off and checked over every car I went to view.  Couldn't be any more useful! 

Dan

OK great, sounds advice, thanks! :)  Engine cover - I'll take a screwdriver!

Edited by MrJonnyJones

Just thought I'd add, what's the deal with cruise control?  (I do long motorway trips once or twice a month)

Did I read somewhere before now that you can add a stork and have it turned on... or something?  Cheers!

I've been thinking about getting a mk1 vrs , I've had 2 new ones previously and I used to work for barkers motor group , the reason I say this is that this car has a barkers rear plate, which was a skoda dealership, but the front plate has been changed at some point, why is this?, accident ? Who knows, just giving you a heads up. Btw I feel it's worth a look, quite like it myself....

I've been thinking about getting a mk1 vrs , I've had 2 new ones previously and I used to work for barkers motor group , the reason I say this is that this car has a barkers rear plate, which was a skoda dealership, but the front plate has been changed at some point, why is this?, accident ? Who knows, just giving you a heads up. Btw I feel it's worth a look, quite like it myself....

Interesting - I'll certainly ask them about the different plates, nice spotting!  I literally don't have a car at the moment (at all) so hopefully it all turns out well, as it looks awesome! :)

Edited by MrJonnyJones

It might have just had a plate change if one failed an MOT due to a crack, delination, etc - check to see who had done in the MOTs - it might be Barkers....

It could be my cars twin. Same year, model, mileage, service history and even colour. I bought it last October for £3,200 from a dealership so if you can talk them down a bit it sounds in the right ballpark. Got to say I love the car too!

Wow, now that DOES look like a peach, doesn't it?

Apart from the things already pointed out, I guess it's a case of looking for the usual things when buying used. 

There is one thing I might add - but you can only do this obviously if the dealer is near you. It might be worth going to have a look at it at night. Reason being that red bodywork shows up re-sprays after accident damage quite badly at night under artificial lights, if the bodyshop hasn't done a perfect job at mixing the new paint. 

Other than that - she looks a beaut. Lovely in red! I might also comment that she is a tad pricey - but then again, because dealer. Also low miles I guess.

As said, I'd go and offer 3 grand and start negotiations from there!

Wow, now that DOES look like a peach, doesn't it?

Apart from the things already pointed out, I guess it's a case of looking for the usual things when buying used. 

There is one thing I might add - but you can only do this obviously if the dealer is near you. It might be worth going to have a look at it at night. Reason being that red bodywork shows up re-sprays after accident damage quite badly at night under artificial lights, if the bodyshop hasn't done a perfect job at mixing the new paint. 

Other than that - she looks a beaut. Lovely in red! I might also comment that she is a tad pricey - but then again, because dealer. Also low miles I guess.

As said, I'd go and offer 3 grand and start negotiations from there!

Thanks for the advice regarding looking at it at night, easier said than done I guess - it depends on timing and when they're available for me to look at it.  I agree with you and others though, it is pricey.

Cambelt/waterpump will need to be done, but I'm guessing not until 70k?  I'll ask about it all though and go through the entire list in the buyers guide.

Huge thanks everybody for your help/advice up to now, amazing! :D

Also, what's going on with the rear lock in the boot, looks strange in the pictures?

Now you mention it, it does look a bit strange - I'm hoping it's just the light?  I'll have to wait and see! :)

Cambelt/waterpump will need to be done, but I'm guessing not until 70k? I'll ask about it all though and go through the entire list in the buyers guide.

Huge thanks everybody for your help/advice up to now, amazing! :D

Remember cam belt is based on age as well as mileage. Low miles aside I'd want proof of it having been done fairly recently on an 05 plate car. If not it's a useful bargaining chip, but as lovely as it looks in the pics (and it does have very low mileage!) that car has to have had the cambelt and pump done to justify anything like that price. Just my opinion but a cambelt makes a terrible mess when it lets go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember cam belt is based on age as well as mileage. Low miles aside I'd want proof of it having been done fairly recently on an 05 plate car. If not it's a useful bargaining chip, but as lovely as it looks in the pics (and it does have very low mileage!) that car has to have had the cambelt and pump done to justify anything like that price. Just my opinion but a cambelt makes a terrible mess when it lets go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK yes, point taken - I'll certainly make sure that's the very first thing I ask!  Thanks mate!

Also, what's going on with the rear lock in the boot, looks strange in the pictures?

Do you mean that there's a blanking plate instead of a slot for the key?  If so then don't worry as mine came like that from the factory.  Mine was an 06 plate and it seems that at some point towards the end of the production of the MK1 they started to do that.  Not sure why but there you go.

Do you mean that there's a blanking plate instead of a slot for the key?  If so then don't worry as mine came like that from the factory.  Mine was an 06 plate and it seems that at some point towards the end of the production of the MK1 they started to do that.  Not sure why but there you go.

Interesting... Is there a boot release inside or on the keyfob?

In other news, they still have the car and I'm going to see it later today :)