Radiator fan staying on

Fan in radiator staying on after the engine has been turned off and key removed from ignition

We have changed the sensor and the thermostat but it's still staying on

Any advice please

Rwbaldwin, I'm not being pedantic, but the fans will continue to run if the engine is hot, not linked to the radiator. This was an early symptom of my thermostat having failed shut, engine hot, radiator cold, fans running after ignition key removed.

If you have changed sensor and thermostat then i thinks its normal. mine does exactly the same. If thermostat stay shut then engine will over heat. I had a thermostat failed on my previous car but failed open which meant engine never reached operating temperature which is safer than failing shut.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by vRSrod

Think this is normal, I've just had my thermostat replaced last week and now sometimes the fan comes on if i've been on a long run.
Mine was stuck open so it wouldnt get upto temp properly so i never heard the fan running until recently

Think this is normal, I've just had my thermostat replaced last week and now sometimes the fan comes on if i've been on a long run.

Mine was stuck open so it wouldnt get upto temp properly so i never heard the fan running until recently

Ditto. I have had my car for over four years and only heard the fan once. Maybe my thermostat is stuck open - it certainly takes forever to warm up in winter. I can get the oil temperature above 100 degrees on fast A roads but even on Motorways it seems to stay at about 98.

It may just be mid regen so nothing to worry about.

Presumably thus happens after 'short' runs?

Assuming the OP's details are correct then he has a 1.9 TDi which does not have a DPF so there will be no possibility of a regeneration.

(Unless of course it is a 4x4, then it will have a DPF).