Off road button- Hill Hold

Darren09

Hi.

Bit puzzled so i hoped you guys would know the answer.

Ordered F/L (due in about a  week) with off road button and was under the impression it had hill hold function built into that but i'm not sure now having read some forum threads.

Brochure quotes off road button incorporates hill hold.

Can anyone confirm either way please.

Many thanks,

Darren. 

The brochure, May 2014, states OR holds the car still on a hill start. When you consider only the Elegance & L&K have HH and OR. So the op could be correct. Perhaps one of the eggspurts can expand on this i.e. not thinking DSG here so does it employ the brakes to do this.

The manual does not mention they are connected.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Hill Hold is active on mine all the time (FL Elegance). I have yet to push the Off Road Button. I didn't think they were connected apart from being both standard on Elegance and above.

Dave

The brochure, May 2014, states OR holds the car still on a hill start.

In this instance I believe the brochure is wrong.  Note that it does not actually say "hill-hold control", but "hold the car still on a hill start" - but even that is not correct.  The column to the right lists the features that the Off-Road Button does provide.

I suspect that someone at Skoda UK has got confused between the Off-Road Button's Uphill Start Assist feature (which restricts engine revs to avoid wheelspin on loose surfaces) and Hill-Hold Control, which is standard on the Elegance and L&K but a separate £95 option on the S and SE. 

IMO Hill-Hold Control is only any use to people who are too lazy to do hill starts properly ie using the handbrake.  I think it's a poor solution to a non-problem and I wish I could turn it off on my Yeti (as I think I may have mentioned before).  If the OP has ordered an S or SE and not specified Hill-Hold Control, I doubt he'll miss it much.

IMO Hill-Hold Control is only any use to people who are too lazy to do hill starts properly ie using the handbrake.  I think it's a poor solution to a non-problem and I wish I could turn it off on my Yeti (as I think I may have mentioned before).  If the OP has ordered an S or SE and not specified Hill-Hold Control, I doubt he'll miss it much.

Hill hold is excellent with an automatic and should come standard with them.

• Like 2

IMO Hill-Hold Control is only any use to people who are too lazy to do hill starts properly ie using the handbrake.  I think it's a poor solution to a non-problem and I wish I could turn it off on my Yeti (as I think I may have mentioned before).

It is a handy convenience feature, even with a manual gerabox :) But if you don't like it, you can safely disable it with the help of a VCDS cable.

The trend seems to be towards electronic handbrakes (I had one on my previous Audi A4) which is vaguely similar to Hill Hold in that once you switch it on, just driving away will turn it off automatically.

I guess this is also 'more lazy' than pulling up and releasing a manual handbrake, but the option is no longer there. I suspect that all VAG models will incorporate this feature eventually.

Personally, having got used to an electronic handbrake, I find Hill Hold a nice feature - the old 'stick handbrake' is so old fashioned. :thumbdown::D

Edited by Smokeyjoe

The trend seems to be towards electronic handbrakes (I had one on my previous Audi A4) which is vaguely similar to Hill Hold in that once you switch it on, just driving away will turn it off automatically.

I guess this is also 'more lazy' than pulling up and releasing a manual handbrake, but the option is no longer there. I suspect that all VAG models will incorporate this feature eventually.

Personally, having got used to an electronic handbrake, I find Hill Hold a nice feature - the old 'stick handbrake' is so old fashioned. :thumbdown::D

I hate those damn things. That's a real solution in search of a problem.

Far less reliable, far more problematic when they go wrong and very expensive to fix.

Battery dead? Have fun releasing the handbrake.

Total loss of power while driving? Lets just hope that never happens to you. It has happened to me and it was very nice having the handbrake to stop and hold the car stationary. That reason alone is enough that I wouldn't ever want one.

No ability to regulate it, its either on or off.

I have driver a couple of cars with them, a Passat and Subaru Outback and want nothing more to do with them.

Hill hold is excellent with an automatic and should come standard with them.

Even when I drove automatics I would put the box in neutral and engage the handbrake when stationery in traffic, and use the handbrake to do hill starts when necessary.  I still do so now if I ever have to drive SWMBO's auto Polo.  Sitting there going nowhere with my foot on the brake just feels wrong!  Each to his own, I suppose.

Even when I drove automatics I would put the box in neutral and engage the handbrake when stationery in traffic, and use the handbrake to do hill starts when necessary.  I still do so now if I ever have to drive SWMBO's auto Polo.  Sitting there going nowhere with my foot on the brake just feels wrong!  Each to his own, I suppose.

I do the same, we're talking about two different things.

Hi.

Bit puzzled so i hoped you guys would know the answer.

Ordered F/L (due in about a  week) with off road button and was under the impression it had hill hold function built into that but i'm not sure now having read some forum threads.

Brochure quotes off road button incorporates hill hold.

Can anyone confirm either way please.

Many thanks,

Darren. 

I know from Pre FL Yeti that every one with Off Road button has possibility to switch ON Hill Hold with VCDS. This is because Off Road button require inclination sensor which is also necessary for Hill Hold. 

I switched ON Hill Hold function on few Pre FL Yetis which originally specs to be without Hill Hold function (including my 4x4 170 from 2010). It is also possible to adjust holding time (by default it is 2 sec) with VCDS.

It's very useful in an automatic.  Other than for brief stops, I also use the handbrake and select neutral.  I then put my foot on the brake, let the handbrake off and transfer my foot to the throttle.  Result: a nice smooth start with no possibility of rolling back.

• Like 1

I do the same. Leave the gearbox in drive and it seems as if the car is dragging it's clutch. Plus at night it's kinder to any drivers behind not to have your brake lights glaring at them.

Fred

Fred

• Like 1