Spare Wheel

Good afternoon all,

Ive just purchased a FL VRS but took the spare wheel from my 58 plate VRS to swap over due to the dreaded gas system.

But ive been told that it wont fit is this true?

My VRS was second hand and came with a spare wheel and jack etc. It was only when I needed it that I found out it had a 15" wheel and was therefore useless :devil:

Whoever told you it won't fit was probably thinking about the current (MkIII) Octavia vRS.

This model has bigger brakes and therefore the spacesaver has to be a minimum of 17" to clear the caliper.

As you are talking MkII vRS the 16" steel from your pre-FL will fit on the FL with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive just got a can of foam in the boot. 60plate vrs cr hatch. Im looking in to getting a spare and jack but when I had my 18" neptunes off recently I tried it in the spare wheel well and it is about 1 cm too thick so the carpet sits high and floats on the edges, so any weight not directly above the wheel will damage the carpet. Any one else have this problem and any ideas how to get around it? Id really prefer not to have a space saver in there and have a proper alloy.

I have a 16" full size spare wheel with brand new tyre for sale (see for sale section). Its no good to me as it doesnt fit over my big brakes. So i just run with hope i don't get a flat tyre.

Ive just got a can of foam in the boot. 60plate vrs cr hatch. Im looking in to getting a spare and jack but when I had my 18" neptunes off recently I tried it in the spare wheel well and it is about 1 cm too thick so the carpet sits high and floats on the edges, so any weight not directly above the wheel will damage the carpet. Any one else have this problem and any ideas how to get around it? Id really prefer not to have a space saver in there and have a proper alloy.

In order to carry an 18" alloy as a spare I made up a false floor for the boot out of plywood supported on wooden batterns to support it above the spare wheel.  Have a disc of thin dense foam on top of the spare wheel for extra protection and to support the centre of the false floor.  All that should ensure that I never have a puncture and hence never need the (real) full sized spare wheel!  

As I have the variable boot floor the slight rise in the carpet isn't really an issue for me, though it does use up a bit of space in the underfloor area. You say your spare sticks up about 10mm. This seems quite a lot compared with mine which IIRC protrudes just a few mm at most. Mine's a vRS estate, in case it makes a difference.

I bought a cosmetically damaged Neptune from ebay and have had it refurbished.  A new tyre is going on this week - all I need now is the jack etc. so I am looking around local car breakers to find a kit in good condition.  The new ones listed on ebay are a bit pricey for what you get!

Can anyone recommend a reputable 'vehicle dismantler' in the Newton Abbot/Plymouth area?