Fuel Economy Figure

Hi,

I have covered just over a thousand miles in my Octavia SE 1.6 TDI since new.

Today I went for a day out in God's own country, Northumberland. Granted I was flying around but even I am impressed with the fuel economy.

I also used Aircon intermittently when the need arose, and there was 4 adults in the car and about a 1/3 of a tank of diesel when I started.

post-115576-0-76077600-1401985556_thumb.jpg

My 1.6 tdi, is on 2500 miles. Averaging 53 mpg ish overall (fuelly figures). Long term trip computer says 55 mpg.

One thing I have noticed is that driving on normal roads - not motorways - where you are up and down gears, it will return 65 to 75 mpg on a journey. Seems to prefer a bit of variation and stop/start. 70 mpg with cruise on, it struggles to return 55 mpg.

Hi,

I have covered just over a thousand miles in my Octavia SE 1.6 TDI since new.

Today I went for a day out in God's own country, Northumberland. Granted I was flying around but even I am impressed with the fuel economy.

I also used Aircon intermittently when the need arose, and there was 4 adults in the car and about a 1/3 of a tank of diesel when I started.

attachicon.gifFuel Economy Figure.jpg

Spelling gremlin in the Post!!!

Should read: "Granted I Wasn't Flying around" instead of I was flying around. 

Just noticed the mistake now.

I'm at 2,800 miles with a 1.6 DSG and average at pump is 57 mpg according to fuely.

Bit dissapointing really.  Computer says long term average is 62.

A long way off the Skoda quoted figures.

I used to get 55-60 in my 1.6 golf. Now get 55-65 in my 2.0. Never having such an underpowered engine again. God it was gutless and as your finding out not especially economical. Considering it can't take the skin of a rice pudding

• Like 1

I had a 1.6TDCi Focus which was bought purely on cost (including both depreciation and running costs). If I drove like a nun I could get the computer to read 70mpg, but calculating it myself tank to tank 70mpg on the computer was more like 60-62mpg for real.

In general I started out getting average real fuel economy of around 57-58mpg, but by the time I sold it 80k miles later I was getting 48-50mpg. Never convinced myself of whether that was something to do with the car changing (DPF maybe?), or me getting less interested and a little less light footed on the throttle as time went by. I also concluded pretty quickly that doing 80mph on the motorway it wasn't all that good and a 2.0TDCi might actually be better, due to the higher gearing.

I am now in a 1.4TSi Octavia which I have had for 2 weeks. Driving like a nun on one 140mile round trip I got the computer to average 66mpg, but I don't believe this is anything like accurate. Currently showing 56mpg on the maxidot after my first 550miles, but I haven't had my second trip to the pumps yet so I'll be able to verify this later today.

In general I'd be happy with that Ijose. When I said I drove like a nun I really meant it! My 56 will undoubtedly drop, if I can get mid-40's long term I'll be happy.

Back from a lunch time outing that included a fill-up: 504 miles between fills, 56.0mpg on the computer, 53.5mpg according to me. This from a petrol engine with a touch more torque than my diesel focus, a heap more power and a useable rev band that's twice as wide.

Technology has come a long way in 6 years!

I've just had my first 60+ mpg brim to brim fill up, 601 miles, with 5 miles left on the range, computer was reading 61.1mpg, Fuelly says 60.3 mpg, 22k on the clock now, so either it's the summer fuel supplies coming through or it's finally loosening up!

• Like 1