Re sealed both passenger door carriers, still getting water in.

Hi

I had a damp rear carpet on the passenger side so I popped off both door cards on the passenger side and sealed up the carriers with loads of silicone.

I've got the rear carpet pulled up to help it dry out and I kept noticing pools of water forming on the floor.

I noticed that when I used the rear washer, which was still working, the water was flooding in from the rear washer pipe behind the rear passenger seat, it was partially disconnected so I have popped it back together thinking job done.

I've still got the carpet pulled up, waiting until it's totally dry which it very nearly is.

Today it rained a little and I've got another wee pool of water in the floor, where  on earth could this water be coming from?

The front carpet is dry, it's just the rear that seems to be getting water. I'm 99.9% sure it's not the door carriers as they are all dry around the seals. 

The only thing I can think now is behind the seat belt perhaps coming from the roof, is that possible?

The car has a sunroof, if that makes any difference.

Is there another rear washer connection along there somewhere?

Please let me know the outcome bro

Mine sealed twice still leaking from one door! So annoying I may give it one final try by stripping the seal completely and reapplying all round in very thick quantities!

Wondered is the rubber seal around door closure leaking,  also sit in back get someone to spray water at offending door and see if you can observe any water ingress

Silicone is no good for sealing the carriers, you need some plumbers gold that seals it properly and completely. The leaks can also come from the front doors but flood the back area...... Seal round the speaker pods on the front carriers aswell as round the carriers themselves, and also round any area that has something coming through the carriers like Bowden cable rubber grommets etc. make sure its plumbers gold and not silicone as it won't seal properly.

• Like 1

Tried roof and gutter sealant and it never set properly, it stayed soft, I had to scrape it all out after a week and re do it with bathroom sealant which set within a few hours.

I'm reluctant to rip out the bathroom sealant and re do it all again with plumber's gold, especially when I don't even think it's the carriers that are leaking.

Could it be the roof or some people have said about wiring coming into the firewall?

I guess I'll need to strip out more of the interior and hose the car to find out for real, it'd just be handy to know all the common points where it could possibly be leaking and I could just check them all, it'd probably be quicker than taking out the seat and more trim.

Get a watering can, pour on window and watch as water pours in, allow to dry properly then seal 

I noticed water pours through my locks! But that goes down the outside...

Get a watering can, pour on window and watch as water pours in, allow to dry properly then seal 

I noticed water pours through my locks! But that goes down the outside...

Excellent idea. That is exactly what I did when I sealed my doors. The Skoda black mastic had been used (years ago) around the carriers. It worked perfectly. The leaks came from loose rivets, grommets and even through the screw holes where the door carriers screw on. I used Plumber's Mait (mastic). Check the drain holes are clear in the bottom of the door and also check all the clips are present, that they are the proper Skoda ones with the rubber washer and that they all engage when the door card is reinstalled. I noticed that some of my clips were not Skoda clips and they didn't have the rubber washer and they leaked. 

OP asked if it is possible that the water is coming from the roof. Having just replaced the roof mounted aerial yes it is possible if the rubber washer has gone or it is loose but it would surely wet the headlining. Another possibility is that the rubber seals around the door aperture are leaking. 

Edited by svenedin

Thanks for the replies.

Front passenger seat is out now as well, water is definitely coming from the front somewhere but not the doors, I've hosed and hosed the car but there's nothing coming from the doors.

The carpet is all pulled off and the only bit doesn't seem to be drying is in the middle right up at the front, it'd be centre of the car underneath the central tunnel right at the front.

Could water be coming through there somewhere? Front washers somehow?

One possibility is that water is coming in via the route that the cabin air supply comes, because a drain in the scuttle is blocked.  This thread discusses this drain, and I put up a picture of it after I found it on our car.  May be worth you pouring some water down your windscreen with the bonnet open, and check that you can see dripping from this location (under/behind ECU).  If it doesn't drip from there, try to unblock it. 

• Like 1

Ahh yes, I used that guide to check mine too! Buy new clips! They'll break! Lol

I also built up some silicone down there to prevent leaves getting stuck behind the loom :)

Good luck!

P.s bicarbonate of soda in the ashtray will remove the smell - can also leave on dry carpet / seats to absorb smell too! Then hoover it up!

Edited by SkUG

Seems that it was the rear washer soaking the car and the front carpet hadn't dried out. Hosed and hosed the car, nothing new coming in.

Thanks for all the help

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think most have covered the main areas already. Had the same problem with mine. Ran sealant round the metal door carriers on the rears and that has completely sorted those. Done the same to the front doors but will be removing the speakers to re-seal those too. I have had door panels off for a while so I can see what is going on; I would advise to keep a close eye on areas such as the speakers as they don't lend to leak immediately. Usually takes a while from a heavy down-poor to really get in.

Obviously not ruling out a leak from else where but just make sure these are fully sealed before driving yourself crazy with pulling everything else apart! And as said above, when it leaks in the front it tends to run to the back foot well too.