Can anyone recommend some roof bars ?

Hi in looking for roof bars for my 2009 (preface lift) octavia vrs hatch . Not looking for expensive ones as I will only use they once or twice a year . Can anyone recomend ones ? Or know where to buy ones from online ?

I bought some genuine ones on here second hand having put up a 'wanted' ad.

They retail at over 200 queen heads I think but now that the octy3 is out the used prices are dropping. I found some on gumtree for £40 collected in Oxford and bought some for the same in the end (plus petrol).

On ebay they were going for £50- £80 posted IIRC. The cheapest halfords job will cost £100 so this is the way forward if like me you'll use them infrequently.

Ok so buying used meant that I only got one key (unless the previous owners stumble across te other) and no torque wrench/fitting tool but the bars themselves are fine and let's face it they're only gonna have a roof box clamped into them so even if there were a couple of scuffs it wouldn't matter really.

If you have the time to wait/look around you should be able to squire some for £40-£50 collection or about another £20 delivered. I managed to get a 380L roofbox on ebay for £20 collected so all in all I saved about £300-£400 vs buying it all new ;)

Worst thing is I live in Orkney in Scotland. So I can't collect from anywhere . Must be posted.

Would really like to pay around £40-50.

Might be optimistic getting skoda ones posted at that.

Hopefully someone will have tried the 'universal' jobbies and might be able to advise in their quality (or lack thereof).

Only ones on eBay at the moment...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321427851972

I just picked these up for a good price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191198812415

I have been looking for over a month though and have just missed out on OEM ones for £40 on Gumtree etc. You just need patience and luck! I think the time of year makes a difference too as I looked on eBay sold items and there were loads that sold in winter/spring time for under £40 (eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271974360) but now they seem to fetch £70+ (eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171342128495) I guess caus everyone is going on summer holidays and looking last minute, more bidders etc.

Hence why I'm quite chuffed with mine :)

OEM or the 869/969, 754, 1594/1360 Thule sets are probably best, like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231238133252

Good luck buddy!

Lidl had some last year. Didn't look much different to the Thule ones in the shed.

I have a set of these, look good and fit well for occasional use. Genuine ones probably fit better but these were only about £30 IIRC.

Got some genuine ones for my Fabia vRS 7 years ago & never used them, sold on here in the end at bargain basement to move them out of my garage. Hence the low cost Lidl option this time round. 

Oddly enough lidi's here in Orkney actually have them in stock !! Are you all saying the lidi's ones fit the mk2 octavia ? Do they fit ok and secure enough ?

I have the Lidl bars and they are great. Aluminium construction and much better than some steel bars I have seen elsewhere at twice the price. I use them with a large roof box with no problems.......But they need roof rails. Do they do bars that don't need rails? 

• Like 1

[quote name="booke23" post="3815341" timestamp="

But they need roof rails. Do they do bars that don't need rails?

Am not sure what you mean ? I have a roof box already I just want roof bars for my octavia vrs hatchback (not estate) that I can fix the box to. Your saying I need rails ??

Your saying I need rails ??

No, there are many roof bars that don't require rails......but I'm saying you do need rails for the Lidl roof bars that I have....I frequent Lidl a lot and have never seen them sell roof bars than don't need rails!

Here's what they look like:  post-82802-0-92353500-1402523457_thumb.jpg

Hi folks, can we not use this topic as a conduit for flogging your wares, also you need to be a freedom member to advertise items for sale on here, here is a dedicated classifieds section for selling items.

Hi folks, can we not use this topic as a conduit for flogging your wares, also you need to be a freedom member to advertise items for sale on here, here is a dedicated classifieds section for selling items.

TeflonTom,

I've just looked through this whole thread and can't see anyone 'flogging their wares' or advertising items?! I assume your post was intended for me...?! We're all just trying to help the OP secure some bars...The one and only active eBay link I posted (1st one) is absolutely NOTHING to do with me, just thought I'd help the OP out as I'd been watching that one but hadn't bidded on it and it's the only hatch OEM bars on eBay at the moment. If you check the links you'll clearly see which one I've purchased...

• 3 weeks later...

Thread resurrection!

I have an 09 vrs without any rails, can I get roof bars to fit? I'd like to get a bike rack to then go on top, as the rear carrier I have always scratches the paintwork on the cars.

There doesn't seem to be any slots to attach any bars to the roof though

• Like 1

You haven't said whether you've got a hatchback or estate, but regardless I'd suggest investing in a set of Thule roof bars. The system is modular so you can easily change bits when getting a new car. For example, when I bought my superb, it only cost me roughly £25 on ebay to get a good used set of bars and feet adapters / fitting kit for my superb to adapt the kit I already had for the octavia. Basically the initial cost for the Thule bars can seem high compared to other options but it is flexible and probably doesn't cost any more in the long term.

Have a look on the Thule website and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/m/Default.aspx?market=gb&language=en

• Thanks 1

You haven't said whether you've got a hatchback or estate, but regardless I'd suggest investing in a set of Thule roof bars. The system is modular so you can easily change bits when getting a new car. For example, when I bought my superb, it only cost me roughly £25 on ebay to get a good used set of bars and feet adapters / fitting kit for my superb to adapt the kit I already had for the octavia. Basically the initial cost for the Thule bars can seem high compared to other options but it is flexible and probably doesn't cost any more in the long term.

Have a look on the Thule website and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/m/Default.aspx?market=gb&language=en

Yes sorry it's exactly the same as the original poster, vrs hatch face lift

Thanks

+1 looking for some roof bars for a Mk2 vRS Hatch - Tempted by the Thule ones but they are pretty pricey. That said looking at getting a towbar fitted was even more pricey so I think this is the best option. Used to carry bikes on the back of the car but like Bubba not wanting to scratch the paintwork.