Replacing Bolero to get bluetooth

I have just purchased a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI Elegance (140BHP) DSG 5-Dr Estate, registered November 2009 - this is the face lifted model I believe. No bluetooth on head unit and sounds expensive to add. No buttons on steering wheel and the display above it does not look particularly multi-functional dot display like although it does let me cycle how much fuel, temperature, etc.

I like to listen to my Android phone (podcasts, audiobooks, navigation - Copilot). Use radio ad hoc, but not fussed about DAB. Don't listen to CDs (music is on my phone if I want it). Want standard hands-free phone use over bluetooth as well.

Know nothing about ICE and have zero DIY skills. Do standard din 2 units fit this car, and support the reversing sensors and air conditioning display? Seems for same money as adding bluetooth I could go for some modern Chinese android unit, if I knew which to buy and could find and trust someone to fit it.

Read through the forum, and got very confused. How, for example, do I figure out what version of canbus I have (do I need to know)?

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by kyber

Can you not plug a aux lead into your phones audio output and into the aux input under the arm rest? That's what I do to get audio onto my bolero from my phone..

Can you not plug a aux lead into your phones audio output and into the aux input under the arm rest? That's what I do to get audio onto my bolero from my phone..

Yes, but not ideal for phone use which I left out of the use case. Oops. (Kind of took that as default use for bluetooth with a phone.)

I have though ordered a bluetooth aux adapter to keep me going in the meantime. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008XMV05G

I think I would look at the purpose built Kenwood DNX520VBT.

It will meet your bluetooth requirements. Fits without any adaptors and as made for VW/SKODA comes with canbus wiring loom to plug and play. It looks similar to the OEM Bolero and has green illumination. It will probably be a much better purchase second hand than any new Chinese unit and they have fallen in price a lot due to the newer DNX521DAB. You will enjoy better audio quality and although you may not want/need it sat nav.

Its a personal choice and the above would be my reasons to buy the above. I haven't got one as it doesn't fully integrate with 2010 models to show OPS display and link with maxi dot which the newer DNX521DAB does but that is too much for me right now.

Steve thanks, that looks interesting. Worth keeping an eye on ebay for.

Two things, what is the OS? I would prefer Android over WinCE or proprietary.

I didn't realise the 2010 models were different again from the late 2009 FL models. I have rear parking sensors, that show up as a graphic on the Bolero, is that different to OPS (Optical Parking Sensors?) that you have? Air conditioning settings also show up on the Bolero. I could probably live without these feature but SWMBO likes them.

Aren't the Kenwood units made in China now?

I could but as I said initially the cost of that seems similar to that of a complete new modern unit (rather than something five years old and am investment I can't take with me).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Steve thanks, that looks interesting. Worth keeping an eye on ebay for.

Two things, what is the OS? I would prefer Android over WinCE or proprietary.

I didn't realise the 2010 models were different again from the late 2009 FL models. I have rear parking sensors, that show up as a graphic on the Bolero, is that different to OPS (Optical Parking Sensors?) that you have? Air conditioning settings also show up on the Bolero. I could probably live without these feature but SWMBO likes them.

Aren't the Kenwood units made in China now?

I contacted Kenwood directly due to people questioning why their parking sensor and climate controls were not showing up on the display. There are two modules required to work with the multi function steering wheel and the two displays. The module for the displays only works with the newer 521 and their charts show it is from 2011>. However the Golf (which is the same car) shows it from 2009> which is when the FL began production, however Kenwood could not confirm it would work on 2010 FL Octavia so the 520vbt was out and at the moment so is the 521.

I have the Bolero and works as it should but without bluetooth. I'd like bluetooth bit not sure if i'll had the module or go for a Columbus, but finding a Columbus is a mine field on ebay.

The Kenwoods have always been made in China/Aisa as far as i'm aware. Your just buying from a reputable and well know brand with support in the UK from dealers, which you may not get from a cheaper Chinese branded unit. I personally would pay £50-100 extra for the support/brand knowledge of a well known manufacturer when spending £200/400 on something like this.

Thanks for detail Steve. Good point about paying for decent support. I'm very tempted by some of the new Android head units though. Just too ignorant at the moment to risk it and would not want to fit myself.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by kyber