SwiftKey Android keyboard now free 11/6/2014

gadgetman

Actually free, to use forevermore?

Or just free to install and use for a month before they demand money?

Free for ever more, instead they're going to charge for in app purchases such as additional themes.  I'm a bit puzzled by this approach as I would have assumed it's a good seller whereas I can't see additional themes making them much money?  I know they're launching on IOS as well, I wonder if they're going to charge on IOS and think they've made what they can on Android?  I've bought it twice (phone and tablet versions) but don't feel at all hard done by it's free now as it's been money very well spent, far prefer Swiftley over any the other keyboards.

John

Does it look different to normal keyboard. Appearance of my keyboard seems the same

Nope. Pretty much standard layout (unlike some keyboards that are really weird with steep learning curves) but generally it guesses better than most what you meant to type (better correction than most based on your usual vocabulary) and what you are about to type (so you just tap word, or spacebar if set that way, to enter the guessed word). My personal preference, and speed advantages, come from using swipe/flow mode which is better than that in the Google or Swype keyboards in my view. In this mode you do not lift your finger from the keyboard but flow from key to key. On my tablet screen I also like using the floating keyboard mode so the keyboard is wherever you want to put it on the screen and overlayed rather always pushing up from bottom. 

• Like 1

I can never get on with flow.

But I have written texts without having to use the keyboard and using only the words at the top and emails. Only needing a few letter presses.

At times I can do it quicker than I can using the keyboard on the laptop.

Certainly the best app I'd ever bought.

Another download here and first time user and I'm liking it a lot. The problem is for some reason it seems to have disabled haptic feedback on my back and settings buttons at the bottom of the phone. This despite it being turned on in settings. I haven't managed to work it out yet

Thanks Gadgetman but that didn't help. haptic feedback is turned on where it should be. I'll carry on looking for a solution. I'll probably uninstall it to see if it fixes it.

It works in Swiftkey but for some reason the home screen and app drawer icons and the two keys at the bottom of the phone don't work even though haptic is ticked in the phone settings. This is on my Note. 3

Thanks again Gadgetman. Tried that still no joy so I disabled Swiftkey, and still nothing. My final option was uninstall Swiftkey so it only seems to have happened after I installed it and still nothing. I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder whether the keys vibrated in the first place

Everywhere there is an option to tick haptic feedback its done. Never mind, this must be getting boring now, I'll just have to put up with it

Thanks again Gadgetman. Tried that still no joy so I disabled Swiftkey, and still nothing. My final option was uninstall Swiftkey so it only seems to have happened after I installed it and still nothing. I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder whether the keys vibrated in the first place

Everywhere there is an option to tick haptic feedback its done. Never mind, this must be getting boring now, I'll just have to put up with it

I'm using a Note 3 and haptic feedback is working. Can't see anything I'm doing different other than I don't use Touchwiz (much prefer Nova Launcher).  What duration have you set the haptic feedback to in the SwiftKey settings? 

I`ve just bumped it up to 35ms and still nothing. It just seems strange that whichever keyboard I use haptic feedback works but home screen icons, app drawer icons and two soft keys don`t. Am I going mad, did they ever?

It does vibrate when ringing yes. I've been through every setting on the phone and where there is a vibrate option it's ticked.

It's just the icons and soft keys that refuse to vibrate

I'll go through my recently installed apps and see if there is anything there that might cause the problem.

I can live without it but it's just bugging me now.

Thanks for all the suggestions