Scout 2007 Haldex 4x4 Contol Unit fault

Hello All,

I have a 2007 Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0TDi PD 4x4 (from new) which was in for inspection service and MOT recently along with investigation and resolution for illuminated TCS/ESP light. Mileage is just under 50,000.

TCS/ESP Light illuminated but went out after driving a short distance after reconnecting battery after removing to recharge.

Last time I disconnected battery (due to minimal usage), TCS/ESP light illuminated but stayed illuminated along with 3 audible beeps and would not extinguish, even after driving for a short distance. 

Half expecting to be informed it was the Teves MK60 unit which has packed up (having read the full history on here), I was somewhat surprised to be informed that it is 99.9% likely the 4x4 control unit is faulty and needs replacing at just over £1005.

I was wondering if any other Scout owners have experienced a similar problem or are aware of same and been diagnosed or had to replace the 4x4 control unit.

Thanks.

I am aware that some members - included myself - who owned the Mk 1 Octavia 1.8T 4X4 with the Gen1 Haldex suffered Haldex ECU failures. In my case a diagnostic scan of the ECU reported a checksum error and it was replaced under warranty. I can't find any cases of Gen2 Haldex ECU failure recorded on Briskoda, nor for the Gen4 Haldex. I assume that yours is Gen2.

If my current Octavia with a Gen4 Haldex suffered ECU failure, I would replace it with a Gen4 performance controller as in the link below. You will see that is also available for the Gen2 Haldex.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_haldex.html

• Like 1

Thanks for your response Denis.

Yes mine has the Gen 2 Haldex, which has been fine from new and worked perfectly in all that snow we had back in 2010, never getting stuck once.

They did tell me at the garage they were not aware of any other such failures of this unit and had checked everything from fuses and ABS sensors etc, but are certain its the 4X4 Control Module.

I fired an email off to Skoda UK as a matter of interest but they told me they are unable to do anything as the vehicle is over 5 years old irrespective of the relatively low mileage. Maybe I have just been unlucky to pick up a rare failure. 

At least now I have posted it on here if anyone else gets a problem with the Gen2 they will not be alone.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks for that. It looks like there is someone listed who is right on my doorstep so to speak.

Is a diagnostic scan the same thing the Skoda dealer advised they would want to charge £100 + for??

They did mention doing this but would charge for it and as they are 99.9% certain its the 4x4 control module and they checked everything else it didn't seem worth doing which seemed reasonable, so agreed to proceed with a replacement module.

How do I go about approaching the member in the list, just fire them off a PM with a request for assistance? (Newbie alert!!)

I have a spare Haldex and diff from a MK4 Golf, I think it is gen 2 though but if you do find what the fault is and need parts give me a shout, it is in the garage and I keep hitting my toe on it so it has to go.

Martin - Where in SE England are you? I have VCDS and will happily do a scan for you. (Am fairly new to VCDS to scanning and simple coding changes is about as far as bravery allows at the moment.) I've got a '07 Scout too. :)

And yes, the scan is what the dealer wanted to charge you for. Takes longer to boot the laptop and connect all the cables than it does to do the scan itself. Mind you, £100 is a bit much even from a dealer, usually around th £50-70 mark from what I've seen.

If my current Octavia with a Gen4 Haldex suffered ECU failure, I would replace it with a Gen4 performance controller as in the link below. You will see that is also available for the Gen2 Haldex.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_haldex.html

Looks kinda fun. Not cheap, but fun nonetheless. :) :)

Mind you, if replacing the OEM with another OEM is the same sort of money, I know where I'd be spend my cash. ;)

I'd want to see the fault codes for myself before shelling out £1000+.

Is this a Skoda main dealer Martin?

I've been on Briskoda for some time taking an interest in all Scout threads and have never heard of the Haldex controller packing up before.

Yes this is a Skoda main dealer.

I am in the process of trying to arrange a VCDS scan from another Briskoda member as I am very interested to identify the actual cause of the TCS/EPS warning light myself.

I was trusting the integrity of the dealer with regards to their 99.9% determination of the fault.

Needless to say if the fitting of a new module on their recommendation does not rectify the problem, returning the vehicle to full functionality, I can't see how they can expect me to pay for the unnecessary works and replacement of a functional part, and the old unit should be refitted at no cost to me.

As you said and as I have read on here, there do not seem to be any other recorded reports on any Octavia Scout 4x4 Gen2 Haldex Control Module faults/failures until now. Hence my reason for originally posting.

What I don't understand is how they can diagnose a fault light and be 99.9% confident without doing a scan? Sounds more like finger in the air to me.

And my scout has 116k miles over 6 years without a fault on the haldex (And it missed the first oil/filter change)

I guess if I ask them to perform the diagnostic scan and it determines that it is the 4X4 Control Module that is faulty it will be £1105 as opposed to £1005.

(They did say they checked the ABS, Sensors etc already and all appeared ok but the scan would be £100+).

That is why I am hoping I can get a diagnostic done by another Briskoda member I am in contact with, before I get the call from the Skoda dealer that they have the part and can book me in.

I did see 1 on eBay a while ago, when I was looking. I'm assuming the 4x4 and Scout are the same running gear. The listing did say something about a failure and the car was in FWD mode only. I didn't really read it in-depth as it wasn't particularly cheap with that, and several other faults. At that point I was seeing a car that was unloved and would need much tender care (and many £'s) to get back to it's former glory.

Well it does feel like only the front wheels alone are driving at all times so it must be stuck in FWD mode, hence the TCS/ESP warning light.

The sooner I can get a diagnostic scan for the fault codes, the better and more confident I will feel.

Have you disconnected the wires going to the Haldex unit?  As they live under the car they are subject to a lot of water and salt etc. It is quite common for the connectors to corrode.

My first job would be to clean all connectors to see what condition they are in. This might cure your issue.

• Like 1

No I haven't carried out any checks under the vehicle myself, but the Skoda Mechanic told me he had checked blown fuses, ABS, sensors, connectors etc. so assume he did the obvious and checked said connectors also.

As I previously posted I am trying to contact a couple of Briskoda members close to me who may be able to run a VCDS scan to throw up the fault codes.

Something isn't quite right here.

The first thing any franchised main dealer will do is to plug the car in and run a check for any logged fault codes.

This will nearly always be done prior to searching for blown fuses, connectors or lifting the car on the ramps to check the ABS sensors.

Plugging the car in literally takes 30 seconds max and will allow for an almost guaranteed fault finding diagnosis.

I appreciate most dealers have a standard charge for running the diagnostics but this same charge is normally applied when carrying out the visual checks that you have described.

For the sake of correctly diagnosing the fault, especially a fault that is likely to cost in excess of £1000+ I just can't understand why the dealer would waste half an hours chargeable labour instead of simply insisting you pay the £100 for the physical checks and fault scan. 

Another point worth mentioning too is that dealers reimburse or waive the diagnostics fee if you agree to them doing the work.

You are right and I'm becoming less and less confident with the diagnosis.

Its a bit like going to hospital with a bad leg and them saying we think its broken and we need to stick you in plaster for 6 weeks, without taking x-rays.

I am waiting for 2 Briskoda members to get back to me regarding one of them carrying out a VCDS scan for fault codes, and hopefully I can get this done before I get a call from the Skoda dealer to book it in.

If not I guess I will ask the Skoda dealer if they can carry out the scan and not charge me as a good will thing, seeing as I bought the car from them and had all my servicing/MOT's done there.

• Like 1

Many thanks to fellow Briskoda member Aston bodger for running a VCDS scan for me this evening.

Here is the scan result and the details of the 2 fault codes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday,16,June,2014,19:17:29:04575 VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator VCDS Version: 12.12.2.0 (x64) Data version: 20140212

Chassis Type: 1Z (1K0)   Scan: 01 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 22 25 42 44 46 52 56 62 72 76

VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   Mileage: 79880km/49635miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction
001004-Steering Angle -- Status: OK
000008-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK
000009-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK
000015-Airbags -- Status: OK
000016-Steering wheel -- Status: OK
000017-Instruments -- Status: OK
000019-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction
001022-AWD -- Status: Cannot be reached
110025-Immobilizer -- Status: OK
000042-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK
000044-Steering Assist -- Status: OK
000046-Central Conv. -- Status: OK
000052-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK
000056-Radio -- Status: OK
000062-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK
000072-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK
000076-Park Assist -- Status: OK 0000

here are the 2 fault code details:

Address 03: ABS Brakes       
Labels: 1K0-614-517-MK60-A.lbl     

Part No SW: 1K0 614 517 AD    

HW: 1K0 614 517 AD
Component: ESP 4MOTION MK60-AT 0102      Revision: 00H14001   
Coding: 0023170

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
VCID: 69D2044F40683D562C9-803C1
Fault Found:

01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
004 - No Signal/Communication

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 19: CAN Gateway       
Labels: 1K0-907-530-V3.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 L H

W: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533  Gateway   H07 0052 

Revision:   H07 01   

Serial number: 170507F2001476
Coding: E9827F0E0002022303
Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
VCID: 3064A92BA3328C9E2B7-80651
Fault Found:

01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
004 - No Signal/Communication

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 217
Mileage: 79844 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 15:55:43

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am now uncertain as to the actual problem part as the fault code 03 ABS list the infamous ABS Teves MK60 part which I originally thought may be the problem, having read the substantial history on Briskoda but may or may not be at fault.

Haldex 4X4 Control Module or ABS Teves MK60........or worse case both!!!

If anyone would like to comment on their conclusions regarding these codes, bearing in mind the diagnosis of the Skoda Tech at the garage is they are 99.9% certain its the 4X4 Control Module that is faulty and is to be replaced all in at £1005.24, please add to this post.

I am just awaiting the dreaded phone call now to book it in to be sorted :no:   

No signal / communication, I have to admit, I would be looking at what James said about checking the connections.

I'd also be after an assurance from the dealer that, if replacing the control module alone did not clear the fault (i.e no sneaky connection replacement too), that the original unit is returned to the car and the bill was nowhere near £1005.24. Either way I think I'd also want to see the old unit too. ;)

Sound advice I would agree with that.

A pity I gave my axle stands away but I will try and get under the beast tomorrow. I am assuming I have to get underneath as the Skoda Tech left the rear nearside seat base up and tilted forward and the carpet/padding lifted exposing a roundish plastic cover and some cables and a connector over a recessed housing which is yellow in colour, but this is inside the vehicle.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of a photo of what I should be looking for under there connector wise. I am assuming they would have some sort of retainer latch or clip affair that will need unlatching to disconnect.

Scratch that. DGW just posted this  http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/tiguan_haldex_gen4.pdf  (credits to DGW) in another thread and it looks like it shows me the J492 module and connectors on a GEN2 Haldex so it will just be a matter of if I can reach them ok.

I have some Super Servisol 10 I use for all my music gear electrical connectors I could give the connector(s) a squirt with, if I can reach them.

Regarding the point of ensuring the 4X4 Control Module is replaced and not just a "jiggle" of the connectors, I was in fact going to insist on them giving me the old unit, seeing as its not being replaced under warranty or with any form of goodwill payment. I doubt there is any justification for them refusing.

Edited by FB011964

That is true, but at least you *know* it'll have been replaced instead of just being told. Sadly, dealers aren't above ripping people off. Personally, for a grand, I'd want to know it's been replaced.