**Front Mount Intercooler Kit: HOMEMADE.**

not scaremongering, its just most other owners had the same symptons which then led on to.........

Hopefully its just spark plugs.

it was spark plugs, all fine now, better idle, no missfire, better mpg, much have been an issue ever since i picked it up.

are you wanting me to weigh the kit dan? get you some good figures?

anyway so a front mount eh?

im quite busy this week so im thinking about doing it saturday afternoon/sunday morning if it takes too long :)

this will happen, right now its just sat there though.

And I think you are going to have to butcher the plastics and crash bar to make a Universal IC fit, so no going back, once done.

Not being negative, I enjoy your threads, but worth considering you are probably lopping a good bit of value off the car for this non-reversible mod.

• Like 3

And I think you are going to have to butcher the plastics and crash bar to make a Universal IC fit, so no going back, once done.

Not being negative, I enjoy your threads, but worth considering you are probably lopping a good bit of value off the car for this non-reversible mod.

like it said in the early post that's why I went with the forge one because it's fits and that's what you are paying for.

I am still going to watch this thread tho to see how you get on with it.

• Like 1

FItted this at the weekend. it was a biiiiig job. it took me around 5 hours to do, mainly due to the fact i kept fitting things in the wrong order.

Im going to say now, this is not a simple job, if youre not confident, please do not try it, a garage will probably charge around £150-200 to fit. and imo that is better than having an unusable car

I didnt have to cut a crash bar, i had to cut the plastic cradle, BUT i have managed to retain the standard intercooler mounts so you can still go back to standard in the future,

its early days and i dont really know what to say but the car is much more eager and pulls a lot harder, after a boot, the oil is around 98oc instead of the 112oc+ i had been seeing recently since fitting the bluespark box.

NOTE: You really do have to remove every single bit from the front of the car, Nothing against small people but if you're small this may be a bit of a struggle if working alone. you do need long arms and a bit of strength behind you, eg when you remove the front frame, crash bar which comes dropping down etc.

from fitting this i see a few areas you could improve on to make this kit better so;

This is what you need:

Intercooler: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-Medium-550-x-180-x-65-UK-/181347296562?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a39242532

Joiners: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300941171420?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The kit i used had straight joiners, when taking the car out for the first time i managed to blow a hose off, so i would get ones with lipped ends!

2xSilicone hose: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Silicone-Hose-57mm-x-90-Degree-2-25-Silicon-/351014338318?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51ba15bf0e

these need trimming where they join the intercooler, a few inches maximum.

10xJubilee clips 55-70mm : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Jubilee-Hose-Pipe-Clip-Tube-Clamp-Air-Fuel-Water-Gas-Silicone-Rubber-UK-/141317281903?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item20e72a986f

I personally after having my hose blow off fitted 2 jubilee clips to each join. i see the money spent here is better than losing out on money due to missing work... this is up to you though. ONLY USE QUALITY CLIPS! dont skimp out on a couple of quid for you to be removing the front of the car weekly! time is money in my eyes, do it right, the first time!

Stainless steel support: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380830463267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I used 2 of these to support the intercooler and a couple of bolts i had lying around

A little bit more than £100, but at around £120 for a front mount you cant really complain, IMO this would the the kit i would have built if i didnt get a used one for £70.

Guides i referred to when i got stuck, but its pretty straight forward:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386180

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/238560-removing-front-bumper/

post-115402-0-38378800-1403507606_thumb.jpg

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 1

so far, its going great, the car, imo is scary fast from 3600rpm! my old focus st didnt throw you in the seat as much as this does. im totally in love with this car now. i think downpipe next then im going to get on with some suspension work. I'll update this thread as time goes by :)

as long as you use the quality parts i have listed above i cant see any reason why it wouldnt be an amazing piece of kit :)

Well done mate. I'll keep an eye on this to see you long term opinion/results.

Its the fitting/bodging that scares me off...

IMO there is no bodging at all. all you need to do is trim a few inches off the plastic intercooler cradle.

the biggest part for me, is refitting the headlights, ive noticed today that i have a few panel gaps around the lights at the moment :(

R u gonna get it on the rollin road for results?

I am yes, but the company who has a rolling road up here is currently swapping it out and will take up to 4 weeks.

i will let you know, i had a quick pull against a friend in his 280hp focus st and i quite easily pulled away and stayed infront... which surprised me.

Edited by matthewl

It obviously does not make 280 bhp lol

it really does,

dsci map,

dsci induction kit,

milltek catback with decat, standard downpipe.

just to add RS Clutch and blockmod

a basic remap takes these up to 265-270..

Edited by matthewl

Well, it just shows you what linear power delivery, max torque from just above tickover and excellent DSG box is worth ! for £15k brand new simply unbeatable!

This is what im starting to love about this car, just how great it is, my old focus st was a good car, with a great engine (expensive), but this fabia is an unreal car, especially for the money!

out of the box the fabia is excelent imo, 

comfy supportive seats, good speakers, handles ok, fast enough, great mpg, and amazing in a town centre.

i have spent £285 and made this car better than the focus

bluespark tuning box (torque is unreal now 4krpm is a riot.)

resonator removal

uprated plugs

front mount intercooler

modifed standard airbox

HIDs

love this car, going to keep it till its dead...

suspension next

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 2

It would be nice to see the difference between mine with the forge one on and yours custom one on the rollers and with the graph

whats your specs?

ill get mine on the rollers soon as its open again :)

• 2 months later...

Hey Matthewl did u ever get the car rolling roaded after doing the front mounted intercooler? And when u say moddified standard airbox did u remove the very small plastic channel that directs air to the airfilter?

Hey Matthewl did u ever get the car rolling roaded after doing the front mounted intercooler? And when u say moddified standard airbox did u remove the very small plastic channel that directs air to the airfilter?

hey lucky i saw this!

No no rolling road as the only place who had one within aberdeen had removed it.

then when i went to visit my parents, could never get booked in anywhere! :/

so still no figures

RE: i had modified the pipework, "silicone T piece, alloy joiner, silicone joiner".

I have a list of cars i stay with and pass quite easily:

mountune fiesta ST: passed very easily

modified focus st 278hp, i pulled away from him. no sign of him pulling anything back. (Catback, decat, mildest dreamscience map, dreamscience induction kit)

2.0 leon cupra R, bumper to bumper. (catback)

audi a3 3.0 diesel quattro, passed.