**Front Mount Intercooler Kit: HOMEMADE.**

Hey guys, so i have well and truly caught the bug,

i love this car and everything about it, im getting sucked into modifying it, and due to this have just did a bad thing and bought an intercooler kit for a grand total of £70, from a guy who owns a bocanegra local to me.

Ive been looking for a while now trying to sus out dimensions etc, but now that i have a kit in my possession details will be up on this forum of how you can build your own intercooler kit for/or less than £100, in a week or so for anybody interested?

im hoping to become a very active member on this forum, who will become known for how cheap and DIY i am.

I hope this sparks some interest and gets the skoda side of the twincharger community growing just that little bit more,

Regards,

Matthew.

• Like 2

Does the Fabia share the same standard front mount as the mk6 Ibiza Cupra/Bocanegra/FR?

If so it should be a pretty easy job as I guess what's good enough for the Spanish goose is good enough for the Czech gander.

• Like 1

Does the Fabia share the same standard front mount as the mk6 Ibiza Cupra/Bocanegra/FR?

If so it should be a pretty easy job as I guess what's good enough for the Spanish goose is good enough for the Czech gander.

It does indeed,

looking at used intercoolers from GTIs, bocas, cupras and vRSs they all share the same intercooler

i was first shown this: http://universal-intercoolers.co.uk/seat-bocanegra-fabia-vrs/

using that website and their pictures you get a pretty good idea of whats needed.. it even gives you intercooler sizes required...

in this case 560/180/65 with 2.5" in/outlets.

the cooler im using is 550/180/65 with 2.5 in/outlets. 1cm overall length is not going to make a huge amount of difference.

Yeah I was looking for potential upgrades for my 6J 2.0 TDI Ibiza FR and didn't even realise it had a front mount; albeit the one I found was wide, low mounted not very tall.

Upgrading the cooler for a taller one shouldn't be a major job.

I look forward to seeing your progress :thumbup:

This will be interesting to see. Would be great to see some proven power gains! Let us know how this pans out mate.

I really will let you all know what happens. it will have to be my arse dyno as wallace performance dont have a dyno for the next few weeks..

I've already got an forge one on mine but I've got an company that wants my car in to make another one in the market.

Ah yes

FMINTVRS.jpg

490Polo14Int.jpg

490intcomp.jpg

big cash though at almost £500!

Sounds interesting to see this happen.

I've already got an forge one on mine but I've got an company that wants my car in to make another one in the market.

Is it a worth while modification, did you notice better performance as be interested to hear your thoughts?

Ah yes

FMINTVRS.jpg

490Polo14Int.jpg

490intcomp.jpg

big cash though at almost £500!

well I dint pay that for it and got the boost pipes too.

Is it a worth while modification, did you notice better performance as be interested to hear your thoughts?

yes buts it's not a two minute job, everything off the front has to come off. Took us must of the day but there was no rush to do it. The standard one is 6 core and the forge one is 10 core and abit deeper. Plus with the forge one there is no cutting everything fits into place which I wanted. I think the car goes really well standard but need it rolling roaded to see. Edited by Ant-Vrs
  • Like 1

It will certainly not save any weight as not only it is bigger but also has plenum chambers made of alu and not plastic.

I have my reservations with larger IC's as they increase turbo lag due to increased volume of the pressurised part of the system - more turbo lag.

If you race it then yes, the above would be negated by removal of performance dip due to heat soak. For street purposes it makes no sense really.

• Like 1

A standard CAVE on 99 ron has more than 182 bhp.

on a TMC or Stage 1 APR 205-210 on 99 RON.

A CTHE had around 190 bhp,

& i have no idea on a Tuning box.

If a full tank of Fuel bothers you for weight driving on Public Roads, (maybe 20-30 kg difference near empty to full.)

take out the Spare Wheel & the Rear Weights and it is an easy 45 KG out of the rear.

Getting the car Running Properly seems like a Good idea, & then improve Brakes and handling.

Because they are hardly slow standard when running correctly.

• Like 1

I agree with literally everything george is saying, 

im going to be honest here, i hoon the **** out of my car daily, and i have never been able to really tell the difference between full and empty, except in the wet when booting it... but then, you wouldnt be driving like a tit on the roads, as its wet..

George, my car is now running terrible, missfire is now constant, and even worse in this lovely 21oC weather we have in aberdeen right now..

im tempted to leave the car at home tomorrow and ride to work until my plugs turn up.. its very lumpy, using supercharger boost only, (1500-2500rpm) wheras the missfire was only an issue around 3500 rpm yesterday...

actually, i think cycling to work will be the better option anyway.. i now see how picky these cars can be. 

It will certainly not save any weight as not only it is bigger but also has plenum chambers made of alu and not plastic.

I have my reservations with larger IC's as they increase turbo lag due to increased volume of the pressurised part of the system - more turbo lag.

If you race it then yes, the above would be negated by removal of performance dip due to heat soak. For street purposes it makes no sense really.

I agree with everything here, no doubt about it, the bigger the cooler the larger the pressure drop. this may increase lag, probably will. but imo, the driving i do, sat in pretty much constant traffic, stop start then a 0-70ish, i do feel the difference in power with the standard IC. :( 

What about weight?.

Furbys are quite sensitive to weight i find, if i fill a full tank of fuel it really blunts the performance.

If this mod saves weight then i might be interested.

I had the intercooler in my hands last night, i will gladly weigh the entire kit if youre interested in this..? then when i swap it over i will weigh the original.

the aftermarket cooler is pretty light IMO. but i doubt it will be as light as the puny, plastic capped standard cooler.

Can you not get the Spark Plugs out and Checked?

You have Skoda Assist.

'Light was on', Worries you,  

You call them and a RAC Van arrives, Plugs it in, Checks for Misfires, & can check the Plugs,

if you can not.

Supercharger is on demand 2,400 ish to 3,500 with Turbo ,

and 3,500 rpm on it is just Turbo.

Dont risk using it with a dodgy plug, if that is what is wrong.

george

Can you not get the Spark Plugs out and Checked?

You have Skoda Assist.

'Light was on', Worries you,  

You call them and a RAC Van arrives, Plugs it in, Checks for Misfires, & can check the Plugs,

if you can not.

Supercharger is on demand 2,400 ish to 3,500 with Turbo ,

and 3,500 rpm on it is just Turbo.

Dont risk using it with a dodgy plug, if that is what is wrong.

george

Im guessing a bad plug or if not that then a bad coil pack. due to what ive read, and experienced in the past.

its starting to feel like my old soundsystemed citroen..

i cant get the plug out as im waiting for a spark plug tool and the new plugs to turn up

(i moved to aberdeen with no tools, theyre still in hartlepool)

<snip>

im going to be honest here, i hoon the **** out of my car daily

<snip>

the driving i do, sat in pretty much constant traffic, stop start then a 0-70ish

<snip>

my car is now running terrible, missfire is now constant

<snip>

i now see how picky these cars can be.

You are absolutely right, stick to cycling . . . or public transport :thumbup:

You are absolutely right, stick to cycling . . . or public transport :thumbup:

Oh you again, grow up, this is a forum, i didnt see you commenting on that guys post who was complaining about electronic aids kicking in constantly the other week.

i have you know, i stick to speed limits, all of the time, i even have my speedo show an extra 5mph so im always under, i live in a hilly countryside suburb, with about 7 miles of fun roads on my commute, these road limits are 60, except one which is a 50.. that is more than enough to enjoy, before being a tit, get the facts.

Note: stop start traffic, is when i pick my girlfriend up from work, and it literally is stop start. 20mph max.

Edited by matthewl

Why,  because he has a Misfire, due possibly to needing new spark plugs?

Hardly cause for an engine replacement.,

oh dear doesnt sound good, might be another replacement engine job.

whats with all this scare mongering on this forum? i know these engines have their issues but even the seat and vw forum arent like this at all, this has a negative vibe, no matter what it is...

george is right, there is no need for a replacement engine,

i changed the plugs last night, pretty easy job once you move things around, heat was an issue even after 2 hours of cooling, the socket kept expanding against the wall of cylinder 4.

the original plugs came out really manky, all oddly gapped, some up in the 1.15 region, one at .8 and one at .95, they were a nice chocolate colour, so (if this is anything like 2stroke engines) im not running rich nor lean :)

the tips were really blunt and round, and there was markings on the white bit of the plug, it was turning yellow.

changed the plugs, ran the car, misfire gone, idle solid as a rock, drive to work resulted in better mpg, i managed 42mpg on the MDI, wheras i usually average about 34..

all in all, plugs fixed the issue

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 1