Anyone know why my coolant light is on but the temp is fine?

So I've finally fixed the mucky carb problem which meant my car stalling now there's another problem!!!! When i first start my car up whether it be in a morning or after it's been sat my engine coolant light comes on  in red. Now the temp gauge says fine even on a 100 mile odd journey it stayed at half way, the coolant level is fine. It's recently had a new sensor fitted to the coolant but when i looked under the engine they hadn't put the clip on right. Anyone elses does this? or do people just think it's a dodgey wire? the light goes away after you run it two mins switch the engine off then back on again.

Not for sure.

Has it had a new header tank? (I suspect it may from the comment about a new sensor) If not, then when cold open the tank and scrape the level sensor prongs with a 4 to 6mm blade flat screwdriver).

If that doesn't work, a friend of my Mum's had to have the level sensor (and the lights on warning) mapped out in VCDS to cure this one.

I had something similar and it was resolved by a new header tank.

+1 to this. The sensor is housed inside and can only be replaced by fitting a new tank. Their pretty cheap (around £15). Always buy new, don't get a 2nd hand one off a scrap yard.

If not, then when cold open the tank and scrape the level sensor prongs with a 4 to 6mm blade flat screwdriver).

It's impossible to do that because you can't get to the prongs due to the way the tank is designed.

Header tank will be warning that the level is too low. If it's not too low, then replace the tank. If it is? You've got a slow leak.

Sent from my S5 using Tapatalk

I presume it's had a new header tank if it's had a new sensor on! I've tried looking for a leak and can see nothing and the level stays the same (i put a pen mark on when cold and one when the engine was warm and the levels are always the same, i check just about every day)

I presume it's had a new header tank if it's had a new sensor on! I've tried looking for a leak and can see nothing and the level stays the same (i put a pen mark on when cold and one when the engine was warm and the levels are always the same, i check just about every day)

I think you're getting mixed up. The coolant level sensor is an integral part of the expansion tank. It cannot be renewed separately. You said you looked under the engine but the sensor isn't under the engine. I don't know what you were looking at but it wasn't a coolant sensor, unless you mean the radiator fan thermoswitch.

• Like 1

I think you're getting mixed up. The coolant level sensor is an integral part of the expansion tank. It cannot be renewed separately. You said you looked under the car but the sensor isn't under the car.

I was meaning i looked under the car to see if any coolant had leaked

Does water temperature needle rise above normal when car is running with engine at working temperature?

nope, slowly works it's way up to half way and stays there

Did it have a new coolant temperature sensor? This is separate from the coolant level sensor which is causing the red light.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK but is your expansion tank brand new?

It's recently had a new sensor fitted to the coolant but when i looked under the engine they hadn't put the clip on right.

I didn't think you meant a new coolant header tank.

I didn't think you meant a new coolant header tank.

Sorry guys my heads not with it today, Before i bought it it went for a service and an MOT. Now they said to me they had replaced the sensor which I've heard you can't or is very hard to do. seen as though the clips to the tank weren't on properly i presume they've just replaced the whole tank. Hope that makes more sense

Sorry guys my heads not with it today, Before i bought it it went for a service and an MOT. Now they said to me they had replaced the sensor which I've heard you can't or is very hard to do. seen as though the clips to the tank weren't on properly i presume they've just replaced the whole tank. Hope that makes more sense

Which clips? When they said they'd replaced the sensor they could have been talking about the engine coolant temp sensor which is on the thermostat housing. You need to know if it's had a new expansion tank which has the level sensor moulded into it as that is the thing that causes the coolant light to come on in many cases. If you don't know then get a new one, they are cheap.

When I got my Fabia I replaced my expansion tank as a matter of course even though the coolant light wasn't on because I knew they often give trouble.

Which clips? When they said they'd replaced the sensor they could have been talking about the engine coolant temp sensor which is on the thermostat housing. You need to know if it's had a new expansion tank which has the level sensor moulded into it as that is the thing that causes the coolant light to come on in many cases. If you don't know then get a new one, they are cheap.

When I got my Fabia I replaced my expansion tank as a matter of course even though the coolant light wasn't on because I knew they often give trouble.

sorry the hose clips that go from the side of the tank

sorry the hose clips that go from the side of the tank

Right but that does not prove that they replaced the expansion tank. We could be here all day going around in circles. Fit a new tank.

Right but that does not prove that they replaced the expansion tank. We could be here all day going around in circles. Fit a new tank

There's no need to be so snappy im just giving you the information i know to try help myself! the garage who did whatever they did to the sensor aren't here to ask so im just telling you what i can see!

There's no need to be so snappy im just giving you the information i know to try help myself! the garage who did whatever they did to the sensor aren't here to ask so im just telling you what i can see!

I was simply trying to help you. I have the MPI myself and know the score.

Anyway, good luck with it. As Duncan Bannatyne would say - I'm out.