2 dogs to 3?

Jane_i10

Hi all

Currently in my home we have a German Shepherd (male) and Patterdale X Collie (female) they get along like Mr & Mrs and both will not go anywhere without the other

Only thing is ive been offered a Poodle puppy. I personally love poodles, was never really a fan till I started dog grooming ad my eyes have been opened to different breeds, the poodle being one that I really enjoyed being around.

I really want to take the little doggie home but I fear its going to break the bond of the other two and or they will hate each other. hoping with it been a puppy it will fall behind alpha (GSD) and not challenge him and when he has been accepted they will all get along. I once adopted a Husky (female, around 1 year) and my GSD never accepted her, they fought and it caused hell. it put the GSd off this food and he became slightly down, I don't want this to happen.

Anyone got any advice or experienced introducing a new dog to two others? 

The classic advice is to do it on neutral territory.

Take your dogs to meet it somewhere and see of they get on.  If they do, take it from there.  As It's a pup, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Certainly we didn't have any problems introducing our last foster pup to our other 4.

A friend who is a dog breeder told me that when you get to 3 you start to get some pack behaviour with 1 of the animals trying to be pack leader and potentially fighting it out with the previous dominate dog. If you can make all 3 aware that YOU are the pack leader then this can be controlled. Don't know if this will happen but just something to be aware of.

A friend who is a dog breeder told me that when you get to 3 you start to get some pack behaviour with 1 of the animals trying to be pack leader and potentially fighting it out with the previous dominate dog. If you can make all 3 aware that YOU are the pack leader then this can be controlled. Don't know if this will happen but just something to be aware of.

I tend to agree from experience pack instinct can creep in. We have always had GSD's, and still do, but I can also see the attraction of a poodle, they are sometimes under-rated but they are a very intelligent breed.

Remember though.............two a company, three's a crowd

• Like 1

Yep, agree with herts and minds

They are dogs. They will determine their own pecking order amongst 

themselves and get on with it. That's what pack animals do. 

There will be occasional power struggles for position within the pack

and things will all be over with a snap and a growl usually.

I'm not sure they are capable of hate. Rage yes, hate...No

Just so long as they all know you are the boss then you should be fine. 

My parents have had as many as 4 big dogs in a 2 bedroom terraced house 

as I was growing up, 3 rottweilers and a rescue greyhound so I am familiar with

pack behaviour in cramped conditions. .