Tinted windows. Insurance.

Rutty555

Ok, I've just heard today, not saying it's true, DO NOT SHOOT the messenger! .. But a mates girl got her windows tinted and rung up insurance company. The insurance company then cancelled her insurance on the spot. Quoting 'we don't insure cars with window tints'.

I'm not sure what company it was, i will find out.

So: do you need to tell your insurance company you have tinted windows????

You should be notifying them of any alteration/modifications to the vehicle as anything non-standard can be used as a reason to void the cover.

• Like 4

Ok, I've just heard today, not saying it's true, DO NOT SHOOT the messenger! .. But a mates girl got her windows tinted and rung up insurance company. The insurance company then cancelled her insurance on the spot. Quoting 'we don't insure cars with window tints'.

I'm not sure what company it was, i will find out.

So: do you need to tell your insurance company you have tinted windows????

The piece of information missing is 'Which windows?'. If it was the front seat windows then unless a very light tint it was probably illegal. If the rear side windows then it sounds a bit excessive! Also need to make sure that the person dealing with the call knows what you have actually done rather than what they think you have done. I had an issue previously with my insurer thinking a RARB was a Roll Cage so they wanted to cancel mine until I got hold of a manager and explained it using extremely basic terms.

• 2 weeks later...

Direct Line wanted an extra £200 off me for tinted windows on my last Octy, which already had them done when I bought it. The tint was soon removed since I personally don't like it anyway. I think cars look odd with some of the windows darker than others.

The piece of information missing is 'Which windows?'. If it was the front seat windows then unless a very light tint it was probably illegal. If the rear side windows then it sounds a bit excessive! Also need to make sure that the person dealing with the call knows what you have actually done rather than what they think you have done. I had an issue previously with my insurer thinking a RARB was a Roll Cage so they wanted to cancel mine until I got hold of a manager and explained it using extremely basic terms.

Correct:

To update. It was the usual rear windows. Nothing illegal.

To further update: said person went immediately and got insurance from the local high street. Obviously not wanting a second to be uninsured. Then low and behold the 1st insurance company ring him back and said they had made a mistake.

Again, don't shoot the messenger.

I think he told them to foxtrot oscar... Especially as the insurance company said they would have to charge him a cancellation fee..? After they immediately cancelled it earlier in the day..

Scratches head.. REALLY? All this just for a hundred quid tint on the windows?