'Hot Yeti deals' from Which? Or are they?

docc

For what it's worth, I'm posting this extract from Which? in case it's of use to anyone buying.  Others in this forum will have better views than mine on whether they're actually good deals or not.  

Hot Car Deal – Save £5,185 on Skoda Yeti 4x4We’ve found 19% discounts on this popular model

24 June 2014

The Skoda Yeti gives you the benefit of chunky 4x4 styling and optional four-wheel drive in a compact and affordable package. We've found discounts of up to £5,185.

The Skoda Yeti’s looks may be an acquired taste, but its low prices and practical interior should appeal to most buyers. And don't forget the Yeti shares its engines, gearboxes and many other parts with the eminently sensible VW Golf.

The Yeti drives well and is comfortable, too – although taller passengers may feel a little cramped in the rear seats. Thanks to discounts of up to 19%, you can pick up a petrol-engined Yeti for less than £14,000 online and our favourite four-wheel-drive diesel Yeti could be yours for less than £18,000.

Save 19% on four-wheel-drive diesel Skoda Yeti

Our favourite Yeti is the Outdoor 2.0 TDI CR (140) SE 4x4. It offers a good blend of equipment, performance and running costs – plus four-wheel-drive traction for when the going gets slippery. While this car would set you back more than £22,000 from a Skoda dealer, we’ve found it online for just £17,920 – a saving of 19%.

With a strong diesel engine under the bonnet and four-wheel drive, this Yeti can scamper to 62mph in a sprightly 9.9 seconds and returns claimed fuel economy of 48.7mpg. Standard kit includes dual-zone air conditioning, rear parking sensors and cruise control.

Brand new Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI S for just £13,730

If you’ve got a little less to spend, you could buy a petrol Yeti 1.2 TSI S for just £13,730 – following a discount of £2,985. In S trim you get a full complement of airbags, air conditioning, Bluetooth and electric front and rear windows. Fuel bills should be low, too, thanks to a claimed economy figure of 46.3mpg. Nonetheless, it can still accelerate to 62mph in a reasonable 11.4 seconds.

Save £5,185 on top-spec diesel Skoda Yeti

Thanks to a discount of £5,185, the Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI CR (170) Laurin and Klement 4x4 weighs in at £21,555 online. This model is packed with equipment, including sat nav, a digital radio, heated windscreen, electric folding door mirrors, panoramic glass sunroof, brown leather upholstery, piano black trim and chic two-tone 17-inch alloy wheels.

Even though this model has more power than the diesel model above – needing just 8.4 seconds to accelerate to 62mph – this Yeti should consume less fuel, with a claimed economy figure of 49.6mpg.

Hot Car Deals:

Edited by docc

A good deal, but from pictures on Nationwide website looks like old pre FL  stock being shifted.

But the buyer can - apparently - select from a whole range of options, which would suggest new-build. Isn't it more likely that they're just using an old picture?

When you investigate the 1.2TSI S they quote the pre FL price and the link is to the pre FL catalogue.

Some hype there also, the pictures do not look like an S model (Annapurna alloys in pic 1, leather seats shown in pic 2)

It would be interesting to follow an equiry through to find out precisely WHAT they are selling.

Also I would not term the 1.2 (2WD) as an OFF ROAD vehicle.

The L&k lists brown leather as standard so it must be the facelift with that model

But when you click Price up Options....many of them have a value implying additional costs yet they are standard on the L&K anyway.

The discounted prices they are quoting for the vehicle are almost to the word, Recommended Basic i.e. the pre VAT prices. The optional parts prices are precisely Skoda. So what financial loophole are they exploiting.

Edited by DonjSZ5

19%, I'd like to know the dealership doing that because they won't be around for long. Can't see the links as I'm catching some sun in Spain but they can't be supplied registered to 'you'as the first owner and make any money at all, a fair loss in fact. I do remember a couple of years back that one of these websites was offering the same sort of discount, turned out 'you' was the second owner and did not receive a logbook for 3-6 months. There were a couple of stories of people getting stopped by the police and being done for driving without insurance as although the car was insured to them it was registered to a 3rd party. Be interesting to know the ins and outs though.

Off for a swim :sun:

I completed their enquiry form but gave a false phone number asking that they email me the details, availability and price of the vehicle I 'wanted'. They emailed but said they needed to talk to me...yes right. I suspect the cars are already registered (somehow or other) and that you would be the second owner and as such VAT free which are almost the precise discounted prices. But how would this be done through a reputable dealer. Me, I would steer well clear.

I had a conversation with Nationwide Cars this afternoon.

On a very fully specced L&K the OTR discount was just under 18% compared with a DrivetheDeal discount of 11%.  This was definitely a factory build - I specced FL options like Rear view camera and confirmed that the LED rear lights were included in the L&K price - they were not on their price-list.  Actually the options list seemed a bit old.  Delivery in 12 weeks quoted, but not from a Skoda build schedule, rather from the idea that Europe would be back from their holidays by then.

Things I asked:

Would I be the first registered owner? Yes - the paperwork is sent off to the DVLA on the day before delivery and would arrive with me after about 6 weeks.

Am I buying from a dealer? No - I am buying directly from NWC.  Delivery is from a Skoda dealer.

Can I take advantage of 5 year warranty offer?  No - because of the discount I could not take Skoda offers and if I approached a dealer after delivery I would not be eligible.

The car comes with 3 years manufacturers warranty.

Can I buy the 3 year servicing offer? No - because of the discount I could not take Skoda offers and if I approached a dealer after delivery I would not be eligible.

How can they offer discounts that are greater than the dealer margin?  Because they buy in bulk they can get these prices.

I also asked about discounts on a Tiguan (they dont discount VW passenger vehicles) and an X3 (they will have a deal in place with BMW next week but cannot do prices today)

Obviously that price is very attractive but I am concerned - can anyone shed any light on what is really happening here?  I understand that the DrivetheDeal offer would be from a dealer who is choosing to take a no-effort sale in order to keep their quotas up.

If I were to proceed with this I would want to see those answers written down and have a good look at the contract I was signing.

Advice from more experienced minds than mine gratefully received.

Edited by Phish