Bilstein B6 dampers fitted

I've always hated the ride in my FL Superb. It was skittish over bumps and manhole covers and the car was prone to swaying left/right on uneven roads and during lane changes. Couldn't really find the smoking gun as there wasn't anything obviously wrong with the suspension - just a crap setup I think. 

Eventually I just had enough of it and had the standard Monroe shock absorbers ripped out in favour of a full set of Bilstein B6 shockers. 

I can confidently report that it has utterly changed the characteristics of the car. Lane changes are now a positive experience, the rear wheels no longer feel like they they are bouncing off the road through potholes and sunken manhole covers.

All of my passengers have commented on an improved ride as well, especially in the back. 

The ride is slightly firmer now but it is still miles short of SWMBO's MkIII vRS in terms of firmness. It also no longer wallows through those large undulations you get on the motorway. 

Cornering ability is massively improved and heavy loads in the boot are less noticeable. 

All in all I am really pleased with the Bilsteins, I fitted them to my last 3T5 Superb with good results too. 

Other than the ride issues i've had, I'm still loving the Superb immensely!

post-6717-0-89202300-1404037575_thumb.jpeg

Do you know what the difference is between the B6 and B12’s?

Obviously the B12’s come with Eibach springs (so slightly lower) but they can be sourced cheaper than a set of B6’s.

Do you know what the difference is between the B6 and B12’s?

Obviously the B12’s come with Eibach springs (so slightly lower) but they can be sourced cheaper than a set of B6’s.

b12 kits are simply B8 shocks (designed specifically for shortened springs) and Eibach springs. Where have you seen a B12 kit cheaper than a set of B6 dampers?

B4 - standard oe replacement dampers

B6 - uprated, heavier duty

B8 - shortened body for shorter springs

B12 - B8 dampers and eibach lowering springs

• Like 1

I looked at the B12s but I'm happy with the ride height as it is and opted for B6 dampers. I believe they can tolerate a drop in ride height up to 30mm.

Thanks, 

eBay.de had them cheaper than B6’s, just done another search and they are now slightly dearer:

£471 for B6’s (delivered)

£481.21 for B12’s (delivered)

These are both for the MKI Superb (which I now have) 

Mine is coming up to 85K miles so is a bit crashy, just not sure whether to go for the B6 or lowered B12’s

P.S. Sorry for the hi-jack  :blush:

I looked at the B12s but I'm happy with the ride height as it is and opted for B6 dampers. I believe they can tolerate a drop in ride height up to 30mm.

Bilstein UK recommend the B8's when being used with any aftermarket lowering spring. :)

Thanks,

eBay.de had them cheaper than B6’s, just done another search and they are now slightly dearer:

£471 for B6’s (delivered)

£481.21 for B12’s (delivered)

These are both for the MKI Superb (which I now have)

Mine is coming up to 85K miles so is a bit crashy, just not sure whether to go for the B6 or lowered B12’s

P.S. Sorry for the hi-jack :blush:

Unless you really don't want to lower it then that B12 kit is a bit if a bargain - £10 for the springs?! :)
  • Like 1

Bilstein UK recommend the B8's when being used with any aftermarket lowering spring. :)

If you are lowering and changing shocks then the B8 Sprints are the way forward. Bilstein do say you can drop the B6s by up to 30mm max which is good if changing the springs for a slightly lower ride height whilst keeping the B6 dampers.

http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/products/search-service/faqs/

If you are lowering and changing shocks then the B8 Sprints are the way forward. Bilstein do say you can drop the B6s by up to 30mm max which is good if changing the springs for a slightly lower ride height whilst keeping the B6 dampers. http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/products/search-service/faqs/

Ok, that's really very interesting (to me at least) as that isn't what the guy at Bilstein UK said on to me last Thursday! Another call is in order then, thanks.

Edit - unless I'm missing it, that link also backs up what Bilstein said last week... "

What difference is there between BILSTEIN B6 Sport and BILSTEIN B8 Sprint shock absorbers?

The BILSTEIN B6 Sport is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber designed to dampen wide-ranging vibrations very precisely. Where an oil shock absorber produces an oily foam and creates a spongy driving feeling after a very short distance, the BILSTEIN B6 Sport remains constant, precise and stable. The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber specifically designed to be used with lowered vehicles with shorter stroke. It also offers the same advantages as the BILSTEIN B6 Sport shock absorber."

Edit no.2 - and now they also state - ' Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?

Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.'

Hmmmm.

Conflicting information from Bilstein there.......

I spoke to a Bilstein rep a while back about this and he repeated the '30mm rule' with the B6s. I might lower the car by 20mm in the future but I don't want to replace the shocks again to do so. That's one of the reasons why I opted for the B6s as they appear to have a tolerance for a little bit of lowering. When my car is fully loaded with my work gear, I lose around 20mm static height on the rear axle and it all seems to behave itself over the bumpy stuff. 

• Like 1

After reading the FAQ’s on the link above (cheers) I have opted to go for the B12’s, the price difference seems too good not to and whilst I am not too fussed about it being lower, for £10 difference it’s a no brainer IMO.

• Like 1

Not sure if I will do them myself or get the works workshop to do them for me yet, I would have thought it is no more than a couple (maybe 3) of hours work, plus the cost of the tracking to be checked.

Hi from Brisbane, I had Eibach B12 kit fitted to my 09 Superb and very happy with the result. Only problem was ABS warning light triggered by lower suspension height. This was fixed by shortening the 4 ride height sensor rods.( 2 front 2rear). I have had 4 other makes lowered and not had this issue so the advances in safety monitoring of ABS and EBD are probably the cause. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi from Brisbane, I had Eibach B12 kit fitted to my 09 Superb and very happy with the result. Only problem was ABS warning light triggered by lower suspension height. This was fixed by shortening the 4 ride height sensor rods.( 2 front 2rear). I have had 4 other makes lowered and not had this issue so the advances in safety monitoring of ABS and EBD are probably the cause. Hope this helps.

How was the ride with this kit fitted?

I want mine lowered, but its still got to be a comfortable ride for the family

• 2 weeks later...

How was the ride with this kit fitted?

I want mine lowered, but its still got to be a comfortable ride for the family

Ride is much improved, no it doesn’t soak up all the potholes (will anything?) but comfort has not been compromised one bit.... even considering it is now 30mm lower.

• Like 1

Im getting the H&R 40mm Springs fitted on Wednesday

Hopefully it will still be a decent comfort ride, despite the drop.

I suppose I can always add different shocks further down the line if need be

It probably will benefit better shocks TBH, my MKII combi’s suspension had started to go slightly softer at 35K miles and if I had kept it I would have fitted a B12 kit no doubt,

I had been considering Eibach springs from new, but I was happy with the ride and like you didn’t want to compromise it purely for aesthetics. 

Ride is much improved, no it doesn’t soak up all the potholes (will anything?) but comfort has not been compromised one bit.... even considering it is now 30mm lower.

Hi, any pic's after the 30 mm drop?

• 5 months later...

Hi im looking for some advice please. I have 2011 superb 1.6 cr diesel 85k . I have the car from 1 yr and the car was very hard in the back with passengers.unbearable almost. I brought it to my mechanic and he said everything was fine.the car has passed nct/mot every year no problems. To look at the car the back seems almost lower than the front. Really annoying as some ramps catch the bottom of the car.also the back tyres are wearing on the inside.

any advice would be appreciated.