Windows Vista 32Bit / MP4

Robjon

Hi guys.  I've just got myself a Blackvue dashcam, which runs MP4 format.  Everything works brilliantly until I try to save an event on my PC.  I am not technically savvy but it seems my Vista 32Bit is not recognising MP4.

Can anyone recommend a download that will enable my PC to recognise MP4?  Thank you.

Rob

If you mean that you cannot SAVE MP4s to your PC then that is a worry because mp4 is just a data compression format.  Windows doesn't give a stuff what is in a file when it is saving it.  Should that be the case, reply with what goes wrong.

If you cannot play back MP4s then ensure that Windows Media Player (the bit of Windows that deals with that stuff) is at level 12. 

Edited by Beerhunter
  • Like 1

Thanks for replies.

Beerhunter - you're right of course.  My PC saves MP4s but cannot play them back.  I just see an exclamation mark within a yellow triangle at the centre of an empty square.  

Apologies for my technical ignorance, but how do I ensure Windows Media Player is at Level 12?  I can find nothing within WMP to suggest a level of any sort.

Cheers

Thanks Gullyg.  I'm beginning to get my head around it.  Mine is version 11.

A bit of rummaging on the Microsoft website confirms Beerhunter's suggestion that I need Level 12.

But it seems Level 12 is only available in Windows 7 and later.

So my next step will be to download VLC as you have kindly suggested.

But I've had a few beers tonight, so I'll do it tomorrow when my head is a bit clearer!

Cheers

I would also agree with the VLC recommendation because it's handy to have for any other video formats you might come across that you want to play and unlike the codec packages which were common before VLC it's just a player so it doesn't interfere with the rest of your system.

John

• Like 1