Yeti Greenline - What's it like to drive?

Lem

I had my heart set on a 170 L&K and then my company cut our Co2 cap from 160g to 120g.

I'm looking at regular hatchbacks now, but wondered what the Yeti Greenline Elegance was like? 105bhp and a 5sp box seems a compromise too far, but I love the Yeti.

I have a 170 L&K, but got a Greenline as a courtesy car for 2 days while mine was in for some recent warranty work.  I was really impressed with it, and will definitely consider one when I next change.

I thought the 5 speed box would be awkward after being used to 6 speed, but it wasn't, and it seems quite happy in 5th at speed.  The main downside for me is the restriction on extras with the Greenline.

I got mine on tuesday to replace my 2010 110bhp 2wd, due as yourself to the Co2 cap at work.

So far I like it a lot. It probably is slightly slower, but with only 130 miles on the clock so far is quite capable of running comfortably at motorway speeds and moving briskly away from a standstill. After all we are only allowed to go at 70mph max in this country. If wanting to accelerate briskly dropping to third is better than perhaps 4th in the old car.

The stop and start is also quite well implemented with the engine stopping and starting in line with what I want it to do without thought.

The ride is definately better on the 16" wheels and 205mm tyres, much less harsh and bumpy.

It also seems to be indicating around 10mpg better all the time as average consumption on the computer. Typically I used to see around 50 to 52 on the old car, now it is 63-65 at times.

The greenline also seems to have a very low lease price. I did consider the Octavia Estate for a change, buy for a similar list price car the lease cost was significantly more. My new car has a few extras fitted compared to my previous elegance yet costs much less to lease. I am at least £50/mth better off than a similar spec Octavia.

Never had a 6 speed for any length of time, except a BMW hire car, where I kept forgetting it had a 6th! The 1600 engine and gearbox seems to be quieter than the 2lt and the gearchange is slicker and easier as well.

Edited by kenfowler3966

You really need to test drive one yourself.

We considered the greenline but couldn’t find one to test drive, we did test drive a nearly new 110bhp and felt that was lacking a bit for us (we have several large hills around where we live), so we opted for the 170 L&K in the end.

Lem,

We got the Greenline SE 105hp  5 speed manual; and very satisfied with it.

Zero tax for first year then £30 a year.

Just got it 2 weeks ago & covered just under 700 miles.

1 long trip then short trips.

Got 66mpg driving in speed limit 70 or less.

Return journey cruise set at 78mph + & we got 62mpg.

Extremely pleased with it, after the Monty Carlo its almost like my old Volvo V70. Which did 25mpg. 

Some owners mentioned the brakes....I find them move than adequate maybee if I drove around at 90 I might need more brake, or if its loaded up well.

All in all a very good car for the money.

So far very pleased.

We did test the 140bhp with leather trim Elegance but had leather before & not found it worth the extra.

Quote " 105bhp and a 5sp box seems a compromise too far,"

It depends what you are used too. But I am more than happy with mine.

CD

I moved from a   6speed 115bhp PD engined Golf IV to the Greenline. The engine does feel a lot less gutsy but seems happy below 1500rpm which the Golf wasnt.

The main characteristic I miss is the very poor engine braking on the 105hp Yeti especially on hills, but maybe this is a feature of all the more modern diesel engines ?

Anyway I am used to the engine now and happy with it for my style of driving.

Only option I couldnt have and wanted was the heated windscreen.