Rattling seat - VRS

Hello guys,

i've been chasing a rattle in my VRS for a while now, I would describe it as a very hollow metallic ringing noise somewhat akin to a rusty spring contracting, relatively quiet and could be easily drowned out with the stereo, would only ever happen under breaking or steering (i.e. changing the balance of the car).

My initial thoughts were suspension issues, however after a while i realised the noise was coming from "inside" the car. I believe I have tracked it to the drivers seat back, whenever i shift my (not inconsiderable) weight in the seat, I get the noise. I've checked and it is definitely coming form the seat back and not the base (changed that last year). I've had a search and cannot see any similar issues or how to/DIY's etc for this issue and wondered f anyone else has experienced the same?

Cheers

There's a long spring inside the base of the seat on these, it's part of the mechanism, but I'm not sure exactly what it does.

Anyway, there is a fairly recent post on here about a few people finding this spring suddenly laying in the driver's footwell, where it's broken away from it's mountings inside the seat, and dropped out the bottom.

Lo and behold, at about the same time, I also found my one floating about the other day too! 

The strange thing is, I can't notice any difference to the seat's comfort, integrity or adjustment. So without taking my seat apart, I am not sure what it was for, and frankly it's been thrown into the garage and filed away in the 'not a problem' section of my car maintenance schedule :D

I'm willing to bet the same thing has happened to your seat, and the spring is hanging inside the seat, floating around and causing the rattle you have?

(1) on here?   If so, I think that is a pair of springs and used for the adjustment of the base height of the seat

P1010339.JPG

I also found that spring laying in the footwell about 6 months ago. I didn't find any changes to the seat since it fell. However, for 3 months now, it developed a squeaky sound.. don't know if it is related, but it is annoying.

The standard lumber support adjuster cable/clip are prone to failure, which can make rattles from the seat back.

If you can't feel any difference in the seat back when operating the adjuster wheel then the cable has broken.

Was a "how to" thread on here many years ago, using a bicycle brake cable and solderless nipple/U clamp.

Lumbar adjuster still seems to be working, I took the seat out a few weeks ago and went a bit mad with the lithium grease on the height adjustor mechanism and the seat rails but hasn't fixed it, which made me think it wasn't the base. I'll have a look at it next week see if there's any springs loose or obviously missing. Cheers!

Sometimes the seat rollers at the back can wear and rattle, did them on mine a coujple of years ago - they were about £8 each then from main agent, wouldn't have thought they were much more now.

Cheers mate,

Sounds like the rolleys could be a good starter for ten,

I'm fairly convinced that its not anything to do with the seat base as I've had the seat out of the car twice in the last 6 months and checked the base over and lubed all the moving parts up with lithium grease,, it also doesnt make the noise when i apply pressure to the base on its own with my hands etc. I'm also not entirely convinced its anything wrong with the lumbar functions as they are working and adjusting properly.

Although the seat is secured in properly at the front bolts I never through to check the rollers at the rear. Hoping to give the car its yearly service tomorrow (weather permitting) so will have a look at the rollers then. I take it then just bolt off and on?

Cheers

Had a look again today, yarking on the underside of the seat base where it goes into the runners as hard as i could has failed to reproduce any noise, so i think the rollers are okay. Went and sat in the car and the noise definitely seems to be coming from the seat back whenever I move/adjust my weight so that my lower back comes onto or off it.

Think i may have to roll the seat cover up and have a look at what's going on. Dont think that will be enjoyable, didn't bother today as hands were pitted from doing an oil change