TPMS to be a new car requirement

Just been reading that an EU directive stipulates all new cars from 01/11/14 must have a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System as standard.

Wonder if Skoda will make Hill Hold standard as well, as they tend to bundle these together :wonder:

Bit late for me mind November :doh:

TP

On new Type approved cars.

But then the likes of the Fabia MK2 Replacement will already have had type approval before production starts,

but since Skoda is usually the last Manufacturer to voluntarily bring in New Requirements like TPMS, ESP, DRL's etc,  who knows.

Euro 6 Emissions will be a Requirement from September 2015.

the VWG seem to be getting some vehicles through Type Approval now on Current Legislation,

Hill Hold control might well be fitted as standard, but possibly Skoda will just continue as they did as long as they got away with fitting ESP,

'Option', Extra Cost Option.

Unless it turns out cheaper to fit as standard. 

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECNIK, what ever that is when translated to Czech,  Build Them cheap.

I'm not convinced by this..  People who don't care about this sort of thing are perfectly capable of ignoring a warning light for months.

They aren't the most reliable things either.

The ABS sensor based system is ok.

The system based on battery powered transducer in the tyre valves is a nightmare, well if you buy older cars instead of new with their 3-yr warranty. 

But chap at work, his son with (new) Hyundai i30 had them keep failing and dealership were trying to get him to pay.

We all lose...

Auto parking, oil level gauges, auto tyre pressure, adaptive cruise control...  I keep thinking we will end up like the people in WALL*E!!!

Presumably the justification for this is that somewhere in Europe a pensioner in a small Korean box will realise that her pressure is a bit low, and therefore save all the whales and polar bears?

I'm so glad of all these new requirements. Only this week I've already had seven accidents because cars didn't have dlr lights and therefore I couldn't see them!

Christ it's a wonder we're all able to clothe and feed ourselves never mind drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were fitted to the Renault Scenic we made the mistake of buying. The bl**dy things were always failing so we replaced them with standard valves and just ignored the fact that the screen said we didn't have any wheels.

It's just a scam to make work for the dealers when unreliable 'required' systems go wrong.

Mind you all of the electrics on that particular heap of c**p were forever failing.

But as stated above they only work for large drops, not small ones. So only really useful if you have a puncture of some kind of haven't checked the pressures in ages. In either case I'd argue that the there are plenty of existing signs you have a problem other than a small warning light on the dashboard?

After many years I've finally come round to the idea of parking sensors, and I'm a long way from being a luddite by any means, but this continual eroding of driver instincts in favor of tech is something I find worrying (even dangerous?) - Just breeds the 'I top up my oil when then oil light comes on' mentality. We own cars - these aren't iPads - why do we want to be increasingly more disconnected from the actual act of driving?

Whilst I can understand why some people would like these as an extra or whatever, making this an EU standards directive is a ridiculous edict.