High mileage vehicles

seboni121

I'm currently in the process of looking for a 2nd car as swmbo is going to get a job and here you need a vehicle , so I'm looking at an Octavia for myself but only wishing to spend 4k tops and there are plenty available but with 100k+ miles, so I'm wondering should I worry ? I've seen a lovely 10 plate with 196k miles on it for the 4k

A well maintained diesel will go on forever.

It just a pain that the suspension components won't. The couple of high milers (VAG, but not Skoda) all went because I got fed up spending money on suspension stuff, once it starts it never seems to stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taken a couple of my own vehicles to over 1/4 million miles. Even sold one to my best mate, who sold it on a couple of years later, and I would see it about for a few years after that.

Paying decent money for a nigh on 200k miles? I doubt it. Too may things cost too much to replace, like my last Octavia - over 2ook miles - went for less than the cost of a door mirror - still a good runner, would have made some one a great runabout.

I guess if the price is right and things mentioned - suspension, brakes, electrics, smooth mechanicals - are ok then try it out. I'm sure you are aware of the risks and that it will likely be worthless come disposal time.

Surprisingly people seem to get even more concerned about small stuff as the cars get older. One guy went round and search for stone chips and tiny dings.

ASV has 151k on it now and still travels 60 miles per day. Just make sure its been serviced regularly and you shouldn't have too much of a worry. I benefited from the previous owner running to a new turbo at 120k so fingers crossed for a lot more miles to come. 

That's a heck of a mileage for a four year old car! 

I had a Merc a while back. An E Class diesel. I don't remember the exact mileage but it had done around 450k miles. Was just a few years old. Model year 2008 if I remember correctly. Purred like a kitten.

Just to the milage makes sense. It belonged to an ambassadors aide, or personal security of whatever. The bloke drove from Iran to Germany a number of times.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Worst case scenario: 

Set of suspension £600 (full)

Brakes £200 (full)

Clutch / DMF £450

So for just over £1k on top of buying the car most of the wear and tear items (which may well need doing on a car with half its mileage) will all be brand new,

So £5K for a 4 year old car is still cheap... providing you don’t intend selling it again quickly.

As with any car it’s condition and service history is more important than the miles.

My old Audi drove like new with no problems, suspension was ok and the seats had not sagged. I sold the car with 192K miles on the clock and since then the new owner has had it MOT'd with no advisories and its completed several trips from High Wycombe to Blackpool and back. Mileage has never put me off buying cars and I buy on history and condition rather than mileage. A low mileage car can be just as bad if its only done short trips around town with lots of clutch / brake wear for example.

Have you got a link to the car for sale? depending on condition for 4K id take a chance on it,it will be a car to keep not to try & sell on again though.There is a 2008 58 plate octavia vrs diesel with 170k on it for just over 4k for sale on Autotrader that looks a tidy looked after car,lot of car for the money.

Have you got a link to the car for sale? depending on condition for 4K id take a chance on it,it will be a car to keep not to try & sell on again though.There is a 2008 58 plate octavia vrs diesel with 170k on it for just over 4k for sale on Autotrader that looks a tidy looked after car,lot of car for the money.

The octy mentioned is no longer on autotrader ! So just have sold it was a 2:0 tdi 11 plate in white

I have mentioned in another thread I don't see why low mileage is such a draw, I've seen low mileage cars have rusty exhausts and mayo in the oil from condensation and never getting up to temp, and worn suspension from spending most of their cold lives bouncing over pot holes at church and speed bumps at tesco.

Most high milers will have likely spent most of their lives at full temperature in cruise control on a smooth (ish) motorway network.

I agree they sometimes do need suspension work and this I do myself to minimise cost, but I wouldn't hesitate at buying a good car with 100k on the clock. I might think a little longer about a 200k car and would consider perhaps a slightly older version of the same marque with a bit less mileage but that's because I expect to put another good 100k on it myself - there's no saying (depending on how many miles you need to get out of the car in your ownership) that it wouldn't be fine.

The octy mentioned is no longer on autotrader ! So just have sold it was a 2:0 tdi 11 plate in white

Advertising on auto trader can be quite expensive, the fact that it's gone off the site doesn't necessarily mean it has sold... Edited by steve95