I have new egr valve new maf

new turbo

a regualarly serviced engine all filters & oil changed every 10k

the engine is a recon  runs fine and has only done 40k

I have also replaced injectors and injector wiring loom

checked all vac lines all boost lines no leaks

checked for fuel leaks around pump no leaks

checked injector values in vcds all ok

torsion value is -2.7  could this be the reason for poor mpg?

There is a lot of debate on torsion value if you Google, there is no exact right or wrong answer it's trial and error as to what value is best for the particular engine, the sweet spot can pretty much be anywhere between -4 and +4. That being said, to start with, most try and line it up to -0.5 and take it from there. But yes it can have a fair impact on economy

When I first got my mk2, I could not get the mpg above low forties.

A couple of new tyres meant a 4 wheel alignment was needed (in MY service schedule at least). Trip home, computer showing mid fifties plus. So that was a win then.

The improvements in grip and handling were also most welcome.

The long term tyre wear - 40,000 from the set, was sufficient justification for getting the geometry properly checked.

Reading around about the torsion value it can be very hit and miss and can even be down as low as -5.7 on some cars.

I'd say check the basics first. Check tyres, wheel alignment, turbo leaks, air filter, maf readings and then finally give it a good thrash.

I'm currently getting an average of 45mpg with mainly town driving. Even a fast Autobahn run will see just shy of 50mpg and mines a DSG so something's definitely not right with yours.

Phil

cured and sorted torsion value now at -1

found slight boost leak on the top hose because the idiot from our local stealers put the freking clip on the wrong way round d'oh lol

now up to 55 mpg yippee tested around town and on local bypass

tyres are fine 4 wheel alignment was done 3 weeks ago

driving style well I drive pretty gentle most of the time with the occasional thrash to exercise the turbo vanes!!

Edited by taximandorset
  • Like 2

Cool.

How did you set your torsion value?

The best way is to try new values then monitor the idle stabilisation values with VCDS for when they get as near to the requested or 0 as possible it should be spot on.

If your idle is smooth then they are likely to be ok.

Phil

I average 43-46mpg calculated. Most miles are 7miles to work and 7 miles home, and the odd run at the weekends. Clear roads in the morning, rush hour going home!

I used to use vPower Nitro, but now just collect clubland points and haven't noticed a real difference in consumption. Seems my driving style is similar to yours taximan, I don't want things seizing because of buildups!